Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Pierogis in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Pierogis in Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 226 total)
  • Author

duncanfj
    Participant

Stewz wrote >>

the_gila wrote >>
    @ patient_zero – It’s not enough to be craving pierogis, you just HAD to go there with the Primanti Bros. pic! I’m a western PA girl, and anytime I’m even CLOSE to Pittsburgh, I’ll go out of my way for Primanti’s.

Same here. I always stop at Primanti’s when I head back to the Burgh.
    By the way, I have made the filling from Roland’s Pierogi recipe and I thought my heart was going to stop…In a good way. Tonight I am hoping to make the dough and then quite possibly eating all of the pierogis in one sitting! :)

Primanti’s after a night of drinking is always good. Whatever you order is going to march through your digestive tract like a platoon of Marines anyway. Always liked Pittsburgh Deli Co for a kinder, gentler sandwich experience.

karenS

All this talk of pierogies made me spend about three hours in a sweltering kitchen last night making homemade ones. I was going to use Roland’s recipe, but wanted to keep the dough neutral because I had a plump and juicy peach I wanted to use as well.

I made regular old mashed potatoes, but used bacon grease for the fat, and kept them a little lumpy. They were very yummy. When I fried them up, I used olive oil and a little more bacon grease in with the onions.

Then for the peach filling, I diced it up, sprinkled with some strong-flavored Vietnamese cinnamon, a tiny bit of brown sugar, a little melted butter, and a pinch of salt.

Unfortunately, I boiled my potato ones just a tad too long and some of them fell apart, but I learned my lesson on the peach ones. All of them, after being fried, were so delicious I could hardly stand it. Needless to say, they didn’t last very long and are now all gone already. boo

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I don’t think there have been too many wasted pierogis in the history of the world.

patient_zero
    Participant

karenS wrote >>
    All this talk of pierogies made me spend about three hours in a sweltering kitchen last night making homemade ones. Needless to say, they didn’t last very long and are now all gone already.

Oh, karenS is a bonafide pierogihead, toiling in the kitchen on a hot day for a little fried goodness.

Peach sounds so good right now.

PIEROGIHEAD

karenS

haha patient-zero! It was so hot in my kitchen, even my cat was panting.

Worth every minute of it though for those yummy pockets of deliciousness. The peach was excellent and I would definitely make that again. My next foray will be bananas and chocolate. Maybe this time I’ll crank up the A/C.

hungrywoolf
    Participant

mmm now I am craving pierogis.

Rolaaaand.

I was tempted to get Roland a pierogi head….. until I saw that they cost $50+$20 s&h. Ouch.

hungrywoolf
    Participant

Yum – just had a two course pierogi lunch. Potato pierogis followed by ricotta pierogis with cinnamon and vanilla.
    Thanks Roland.

karenS

And I dove right in and made my banana/chocolate pierogies. Not as good as the peach ones, I have to say, but still quite tasty. Of course, what fried dough concoction isn’t?

hungrywoolf
    Participant

I’m campaigning for pumpkin pie and apple pie pierogies!!

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Got some pierogis from Roland’s stash, and boy were they great!!

I paid him American dollars, so that means I must technically be the first customer of the pierogi emporium. Very exciting.

I had a few of the potato/onion, a few bacon/cheese, and a few of the sweet cheese ones.

I have to admit right off the bat that I committed sacrilege by not frying them in butter. Good thing I saved some for when I buy butter!

I sauteed them in olive oil with onions (used canola for the dessert ones– see what I mean about sacrilege), and served them with applesauce for sentiment’s sake.

Roland had boiled the savory ones and then froze them, but the sweet ones he froze without boiling. He said this gave the sweet pierogis a flakier, more pastry-like finish when fried, and this was true.

The sweet cheese pierogis were a bit flaky, and had a very slightly sweet, gentle flavor, that I can only imagine would have been great with a sprinkle of powdered sugar, some warmed blackberries and a dollop of fresh whipped cream. I was way too lazy to do this (surprise surprise) and enjoyed them plain.

The potato/onion also had a gentle flavor, and the dough was perfectly chewy. Can’t wait to add butter to all of this next time.

The bacon/cheese pierogis were sinfully good. I felt like I was about to be arrested at any moment. It’s just… not right. It hurts so good.

The bacon/cheese pierogis, I would wager, could be enjoyed while still frozen. If they were an action figure, they would have kung-fu grip. That said, I would not discourage Roland or others from making a few vegan or more health-conscious pierogis, and really working the recipes until they are mind-blowingly good, and offering those right along with bacon et al.

Honestly, pierogis are poor-person food, peasant-y food, just a big fried wad of starchy carbohydrates, heaven on earth. They have a homemade quality which satisfies, they sink like lead in the stomach promoting good naps, and who doesn’t need that every once in a while.

I think Roland and co should offer them frozen, out of one of the established stands at the North market, or at Hills Market, or anywhere like that. Maybe work up to a cart or truck. I think people would go gaga for it.

Bear
    Participant

hungrywoolf wrote >>
    Yum – just had a two course pierogi lunch. Potato pierogis followed by ricotta pierogis with cinnamon and vanilla.
    Thanks Roland.

Manatee wrote >>
    Got some pierogis from Roland’s stash, and boy were they great!!

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Somehow applying health conscious to a dish usually fried in butter doesn’t seem right…

That said, I think there are some very unique and creative alternatives that could find a market.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Yes… nothing fried in butter would exactly be the healthiest in large doses (in small dose it’s good for the heart, metaphorically speaking). But why not buckwheat-y dough too? Or… well, there are really endless possibilities.

Plus, everything that gets fried in butter ends up delicious anyway :)

Roland
    Participant

Wow Manatee. I’m so glad you enjoyed them! Thanks for all the great feedback. :)

mellotron
    Participant

Wow, the shear amount channeling Eastern Europe culture thru Cleveland down 71 to Columbus thru the interweb via CU is amazing.

Interesting study in migration! All of a sudden, I feel a lot more confident in Columbus’ ability to sustain ethnic cultures!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 226 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: