Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Pierogis in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Pierogis in Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 226 total)
  • Author

mnoelleh

I think it is entirely fair. Yes, there are many cuisines represented here (which I appreciate to the fullest) and no, I don’t know how to quite explain it- but I 150% believe that it is just totally different in Cleve and the Burgh.

drew wrote >>

Jimbo Jones wrote >>
    I realize that this is a post about perogis in Columbus, but has anyone ever been to Sokolowski’s University Inn in Cleveland? Excellent. I wish Columbus had more unique, ethnic places like Cleveland does.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that Columbus is wanting for ethnic eateries… I suppose you’re talking about Eastern European cuisine specifically, right? In that case, yeah – we don’t have much to offer here,
    Went to Sokolowski’s last month… not bad, but I can’t imagine getting that excited about it.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

But how many taco trucks can Cleveland boast?

drew
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    But how many taco trucks can Cleveland boast?

Here’s the best answer I can provide:

http://stuartspivack.com/blog/2009/04/02/taco-trucks-in-columbus/

michaelcoyote
    Participant

drew wrote >>

I don’t think it’s fair to say that Columbus is wanting for ethnic eateries… I suppose you’re talking about Eastern European cuisine specifically, right? In that case, yeah – we don’t have much to offer here,
    Went to Sokolowski’s last month… not bad, but I can’t imagine getting that excited about it. Having had the privilege of sampling Roland’s pierogies, I’d take those over what Soko’s serves any day.

OTOH, I don’t see a Kihachi or a even a Tensuke market setting up shop in Cleveland.. Different indeed..

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I think what we lack in ethnic establishments is made up by the uniqueness of our local eateries.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Ok, this one thread has turned me from a longtime lurker to a member. This former North side Pittsburgher is making pierogis(the bacon ones) with carmelized leeks on sunday. Thanks for the kick in the pants.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

derm wrote >>
    Ok, this one thread has turned me from a longtime lurker to a member.

Welcome! ;) It’s always the food discussion that brings new people out! :D

Roland
    Participant

Manatee wrote >>
    Look, I am going to have to start fining people for every mention of pierogis, unless they brought enough to share with the class.
    Won’t someone please make pierogis for sale?
    Don’t make me do it myself— they won’t be as good as Roland’s.
    Picture me standing with a rolling pin. I am frowning, and smacking the rolling pin into one of my hands. Get cracking on the pierogis!
    :D

What kind do you want? I’ve got a free day tomorrow. :)

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Roland wrote >>

Manatee wrote >>
    Look, I am going to have to start fining people for every mention of pierogis, unless they brought enough to share with the class.
    Picture me standing with a rolling pin. I am frowning, and smacking the rolling pin into one of my hands. Get cracking on the pierogis!

Now you’re talking! What’s the price on those so I can budget accordingly?

I don’t need anything fancy. Just potato filling in dough, for me to fry with onions at my casa, and cram in to my pierogi-hole.

Does this mean I have the honor of being the first customer? :D

patient_zero
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

derm wrote >>
    Ok, this one thread has turned me from a longtime lurker to a member.

Welcome! ;) It’s always the food discussion that brings new people out! :D

Oh yeah. Welcome! Besides more Eastern European eats, I wish we also had some Primanti Brothers love sandwiches here – fries and coleslaw IN the sandwich, not on the side.

Roland
    Participant

Manatee wrote >>

Roland wrote >>

Manatee wrote >>

Now you’re talking! What’s the price on those so I can budget accordingly?
    I don’t need anything fancy. Just potato filling in dough, for me to fry with onions at my casa, and cram in to my pierogi-hole.
    Does this mean I have the honor of being the first customer? :D

I guess it would! Check your PM.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

the_gila
    Participant

@ patient_zero – It’s not enough to be craving pierogis, you just HAD to go there with the Primanti Bros. pic! I’m a western PA girl, and anytime I’m even CLOSE to Pittsburgh, I’ll go out of my way for Primanti’s.

Stewz
    Participant

the_gila wrote >>
    @ patient_zero – It’s not enough to be craving pierogis, you just HAD to go there with the Primanti Bros. pic! I’m a western PA girl, and anytime I’m even CLOSE to Pittsburgh, I’ll go out of my way for Primanti’s.

Same here. I always stop at Primanti’s when I head back to the Burgh.
    By the way, I have made the filling from Roland’s Pierogi recipe and I thought my heart was going to stop…In a good way. Tonight I am hoping to make the dough and then quite possibly eating all of the pierogis in one sitting! :)

jennyw
    Participant

Just saw that the Clintonville co-op has pierogis for sale in one of the cooler cases (made locally by Del’s). They’re vegan, so I’m not sure how authentic they’ll be, but they are intriguing …

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 226 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: