Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Pierogis in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Pierogis in Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 226 total)
  • Author

AnneD

8 pages on pierogies! Amazing. Every time I read this thread I get hungry.

Manatee wrote >>
    P.S. I think everyone should bring their Slavic name to the table here and represent. In my family, it’s Manchook, shortened from Manchukski…

Mine is Delekta, which is pure, unadulterated Polish. Most Polish people fail to recognize it though. My grandma’s surname was shortened to Byk, but no one seems to know what the original was.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

joev wrote >>
    Pierogis are made of exactly the same ingredients they use in Ireland – flour, butter, potato, cabbage, cream.

This is going to get uglier than The Grilled Cheese Incident.

I will toss another flour, butter, potato thing in. My kids ate them and liked them but said ” I like your gnocchi better.” I like them the same, but for a similar amount of time to make, I guess I will spend the time making gnocchi. Maybe we need a gnocchi thread.

patient_zero
    Participant

Cheese and Potato pierogies listed on the new menu at Skillet (the old Banana Bean Whittier location).

Picture taken by honavery

parker624

yummm can’t believe i just found this thread! Barley’s does have good pierogies, and I can’t wait to try them at Skillet.

Did anyone’s mom make “false verenekas”? It is like an inside-out pierogi: mashed potatoes with sauteed onions and seashell pasta. carb on carb amazingness, and really easy to make!

mnoelleh

I have been to the “old” Banana Bean that was at this locaton, but I didn’t even know that a new place has taken its place! Since we moved further south I haven’t been around the area as much though. Skillet sound interesting… are there vegetarian friendly options?

And I second, or 8th, the comment that this post makes me hungry!! I keep checking it in the hope that a pierogie cart will appear as “in the works” or something ;0)

patient_zero wrote >>
    Cheese and Potato pierogies listed on the new menu at Skillet (the old Banana Bean Whittier location).

Picture taken by honavery

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

mnoelleh wrote >>
    I have been to the “old” Banana Bean that was at this locaton, but I didn’t even know that a new place has taken its place!

They only opened yesterday, and are doing a lunch-only soft-open:

“Skillet” Opens Today in old Banana Bean Location

hungrywoolf
    Participant

I don’t think GA Benton tried the pierogis but wow – he is head over heels in love with Skillet. Even more annoyed that it was closed when we tried to go on Monday.
    http://blog.dispatch.com/underthetable/2009/10/first_bite_stunningly_deliciou_1.shtml
    I quote:
    “Consider me blindsided, cold-cocked and keelhauled by the unbelievably wonderful food I had here for lunch. Consider it my favorite new restaurant. Consider eating at Skillet as soon as you possibly can!”

Yahtzee!

The new spot in the North Market will have them – as Walker reported here:
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/hanias-old-world-cuisine-coming-to-north-market

patient_zero
    Participant

colinpperkins wrote >>
    Yahtzee!
    The new spot in the North Market will have them – as Walker reported here:
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/hanias-old-world-cuisine-coming-to-north-market

The North Market staff said Hania’s Old World Cuisine is due to open this Friday (Nov 13). I’m so excited about this restaurant!

patient_zero
    Participant

I gave their booth a flyby last night on my way to the cooking class.

Pierogies and borscht this Friday!

ohiojimmie
    Participant

can we distinguish between Barley’s Smokehouse (Grandview location) and Barley’s Alehouse (Downtown/Shortnoth)? I know their menus and beer selections are quite different….to not confuse anyone.

vespamary
    Participant

Pierogies and borscht TODAY!!!

Stewz
    Participant

I can’t wait! I am going for lunch today!!

Roland
    Participant

Ready to size gobble these up. :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Haha! ;) Nice, Roland. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 226 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: