Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Picking a place to buy a home in Columbus: 3 neighborhoods

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Picking a place to buy a home in Columbus: 3 neighborhoods

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 106 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • Author

Twixlen
    Participant

Yeah. I’ll just go ahead & shock y’all with my bills. I live in a 1958 cape cod, never updated in terms of windows. I have aluminum frame awning windows where I have to physically remove the single pane “storm” and replace with a screen (on the inside) on the season change. There is little to no insulation in my knee wall spaces.

I have an ultra-high efficiency heat pump system, and am religious about keeping intake vents cleaned off & new filters in place. My gas budget is $35; but my electric budget is $125 (just dropped!). And this is CONSIDERABLY cheaper than it was before the new system.

I dream of new windows and doors and insulation. Ah. Luxuries.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Went from a 900 sq ft flat to our ~1700 sq ft house. Kept the programmable thermostat I bought FWIW, and our gas bills went from about $80/month to around $120/month (December, January, February). House has new windows but ancient furnace and we need more insulation in the attic. It really wasn’t a significant hit overall.

Whenever you do find a place, the Columbia Gas Energy Audit is totally worth doing.

TaraK
    Participant

Okay, you lovely house minds, another question re: potential costs of adding a small powder room to a house. Question explained in video form: http://bcontext.com//bfile/player/ftejl/?auth=LANQ0XXF9K0CA6G5NTUY3JUVUN6P9D2A83U2KSQ81BL66GN5RM

TaraK
    Participant

Fingers crossed, all: we might be making our first offer tomorrow.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Good luck, and prepare to be rejected/countered unless the seller is desperate. Normal part of the process, but it can be nerve-wracking!

ricospaz
    Participant

Good luck!

I forgot to mention that I have programmable thermostats and 90-95% efficient furnaces or something around that. Helps a lot

House buying is stressful. I have a friend, who’s newly pregnant, just sold her house, is living in an apartment until they can find their dream house. lots of boxes and storage units were needed.

rus
    rus
    Participant

TaraK said:

Good luck.

Patch
    Participant

TaraK said:

How did it go?

Where did you decide upon?

Viewing 8 posts - 106 through 113 (of 113 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: