Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Picking a place to buy a home in Columbus: 3 neighborhoods

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Picking a place to buy a home in Columbus: 3 neighborhoods

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 113 total)
  • Author

groundrules
    Participant

Walker said:

ha!

TaraK
    Participant

Walker said:

Thanks, Walker!

tdziemia
    Participant

As a reminder to readers, I think you laid out these three initial criteria:
    1. Affordable, but you didnt say what that means (do you have an upper price limit?)
    2. Accessible. You were very clear that you want ot be close to public transit, and have some walkable amenities, especially restaurants.
    3. Safe. We all know what that means, right? (Well, not really, because I moved here from a large metro area in the east, and the entire city feels pretty safe to me).

Schools don’t matter, pet friendliness doesn’t matter (not in the top three).

OK, gang, try again.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

tdziemia said:
    OK, gang, try again.

I got it! How about Pataskala? :-D

tdziemia
    Participant

Analogue kid said:
    I got it! How about Pataskala? :-D

As long as it’s a neighborhood where you can walk to the Cracker Barrel and Walmart :-)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

tdziemia said:
    As long as it’s a neighborhood where you can walk to the Cracker Barrel and Walmart :-)

You can walk there, as long as you don’t mind walking in the grass berm along a busy road and then cutting diagonal across a giant parking lot. ;)

TaraK
    Participant

Yesterday we drove to Bexley and checked out the location of a couple of homes. It’s definitely noticeable one area to another, i.e. when you cross from Bexley proper to the surrounding area.

When we’ve mentioned the possibility of moving there, quite a few folks have jabbed us about moving somewhere so far away. But I was surprised yesterday to note how much the area has changed in the past couple of years. I.e. more restaurants and shops in walking distance on Main St. We scoped out four addresses and dismissed two. Of the remaining two, both were within walking distance to Aladdin’s, Cafe Istanbul, Jeni’s, Bexley Pizza Plus, Barrel 44 and lots of other options.

celrae

I live in Bexley and feel it is the perfect place to raise children. South Bexley is affordable with lots of friendly and active neighbors. It is a walking community with many places to go. That being said if children were not a factor I would be looking to buy in Old Town East. Night life here is a little on the suburban side and I often drive to other parts of town for music and entertainment.

celrae

celrae said:
    I live in Bexley and feel it is the perfect place to raise children. South Bexley is affordable with lots of friendly and active neighbors. It is a walking community with many places to go. That being said if children were not a factor I would be looking to buy in Old Town East. Night life here is a little on the suburban side and I often drive to other parts of town for music and entertainment.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

TaraK said:
    When we’ve mentioned the possibility of moving there, quite a few folks have jabbed us about moving somewhere so far away.

That’s ridiculous –like the Seinfeld episode where he thinks he’s having a long distance relationship because his girlfriend lives on the Lower East Side, only even more silly.

Not to mention the fact that if you check a map, Clintonville is actually twice the distance to downtown as is Bexley. The last time Bexley was an actual suburb was probably the late 1800’s!

Pablo
    Participant

Bexley also has this planned:
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/bexley-giant-eagle

My house in South Clintonville is 4.4 miles from Broad and High (traveling on High St.). Bexley (Main & Cassidy) to Broad and High (traveling on Main and then High) is 3.9 miles. Apparently that half mile difference might as well be the distance from here to the moon.

lattethunder
    Participant

haha, Many of my transplant friends have a hard time believeing that I never went anywhere near campus growing up. I always get “But it’s downtown!” No, it’s definately not.

That being said, Tarak if you aren’t that familar with the east side and all your favorite things are up north, then I think it’s fair to take this into consideration. I’m in the opposite boat with more of an eastern orientation to the City and I’ve never quite been able to be comfortable on the west side. Feels backwards. Honestly you’re probably going to get much of the same experience in either neighborhood so why not be close to your friends/favorite spots?

TaraK
    Participant

I’d actually say we’re pretty downtown oriented, now that you mention it, aside from my working at OSU. And, to be honest, we’re not folks that go out for entertainment a ton.

TaraK
    Participant

In all this talk of different areas, my husband says, “Before we buy somewhere, I’d like to talk to someone who’s lived there a long time.” To which I think, “Great, how do you find that person?”

Any ideas? Or, alternatively, what kind of research did you do before buying in a new neighborhood? Aside from Googling crime stats, etc.

rory
    Participant

TaraK said:
    In all this talk of different areas, my husband says, “Before we buy somewhere, I’d like to talk to someone who’s lived there a long time.” To which I think, “Great, how do you find that person?”

Any ideas? Or, alternatively, what kind of research did you do before buying in a new neighborhood? Aside from Googling crime stats, etc.

Walked, biked and drove around neighborhoods a lot at all times of the day. You can also see people out and about while you’re doing it and ask them about the neighborhood.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 113 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: