Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Picking a place to buy a home in Columbus: 3 neighborhoods

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Picking a place to buy a home in Columbus: 3 neighborhoods

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)
  • Author

TaraK
    Participant

You know, I want to be open-minded about OTE/KLD, but I kind of can’t get past our initial experiences. We moved to Columbus with little preparation four years ago and first rented in OTE in an area just behind East HS. The experience wasn’t great. Repeat car break-ins/vandalism, a guy mugged in our front yard, etc. There was also a lot of foot traffic that would verbally harass. I like the location’s proximity/amenities, but I haven’t been sold on it.

Is there a specific section of it you’d recommend?

lattethunder
    Participant

Walker said:
    Wow. Still on the market?

Well it is overpriced…

That doesn’t have the more upscale fixtures that you can finds for homes in the low to mid 100ks in OTE, it’s not in the best section of the neighborhood and some of the pictures make it look unfinished! Anyone willing to do their own renovation work would get a similar house in the area for 1/4 that cost. Half that block is unrenovated/vacant/has a homeless dude squatting in it (I have some stories by my own home search).

Analogue Kid
    Participant

we generally want an affordable, single-family home that’s accessible via bus and that’s walkable to at least a coffee shop and a restaurant or two. Also, we’d like it to feel safe enough that I’m game to go for a run at 8 PM.

Not on your original list but how about Olentangy West?

Of the things you listed, the area where I live only comes up a bit short on walking to a coffee shop or restaurant (~25 minute walk, 10 minute bike). So easy to get to campus by either the #18 COTA or the BV CABS bus, and takes only 15 minutes. Bike access to campus is decent, not exceptional. Super safe, and best neighborhood (non-lottery) schools in Columbus if you’re thinking of kids at some point. Housing stock is generally in better shape than Clintonville for a given price, and wins on taxes vs Bexley.

It’s certainly not trendy, but what do you think your priorities are going to be ten years down the road? If very close stores/restaurants are top priority, then it’s probably not for you, but it’s great on everything else you’re looking for.

melmontclark
    Participant

Of the things you listed, the area where I live only comes up a bit short on walking to a coffee shop or restaurant (~25 minute walk, 10 minute bike). So easy to get to campus by either the #18 COTA or the BV CABS bus, and takes only 15 minutes. Bike access to campus is decent, not exceptional. Super safe, and best neighborhood (non-lottery) schools in Columbus if you’re thinking of kids at some point. Housing stock is generally in better shape than Clintonville for a given price, and wins on taxes vs Bexley.
    It’s certainly not trendy, but what do you think your priorities are going to be ten years down the road? If very close stores/restaurants are top priority, then it’s probably not for you, but it’s great on everything else you’re looking for.

This sounds intriguing. What is the zip code there for real estate search purposes?

melmontclark
    Participant

Sorry ^^ I’m clueless on how to post.

stoneschick84
    Participant

My husband and I bought a house in Bexley three years ago and haven’t had a single moment of regret. We were looking in Clintonville, too, and were REALLY surprised to find that the houses in Bexley (well, the houses south of Main, anyway) offered more for our money.

Initially, I was weary about the ‘burb-ness of Bexley, too. But it’s very walkable, and it’s less than 10 minutes to downtown. I won’t lie: taxes are a little high. But they pay for an excellent school system–and even if you’re not planning on having kids, that ensure the viability of the neighborhood. They also pay for a pretty robust police force…which leads me to my next point. I have never, ever felt unsafe in Bexley. My parents are from a small, rural town and have a serous case of city-phobia, and even they have commented on how safe it feels. My dad always remarks that he’s never visited us and NOT seen a police car driving by.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

melmontclark said:

This sounds intriguing. What is the zip code there for real estate search purposes?

melmontclark said:
    Sorry ^^ I’m clueless on how to post.

lol no worries. Here is a map: http://development.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Development/Planning_Division/Current_Planning_Initiatives/Parking_Code/OWest-SubAreas.pdf I’m in the Cranbrook area, west of the RR tracks.

OW is like 5XNW 15 years ago in terms of lacking an identity and obvious borders. It encompasses four different ZIP codes (43202, 43214, 43220, & 43221), and has no gateway signage. Many people have a passing familiarity with the area, but its either mistaken for part of Upper Arlington or just called the ever so generic “Northwest Columbus”…you know…everywhere from north of Grandview to Powell. Go to any Realtor in the city and they’re going to have no clue about it unless they themselves live there.

It’s a great place; I suppose it’s a really well kept secret. So don’t tell anyone about it, OK?

Mercurius
    Participant

Walker said:
    Wow. Still on the market?

I think so. Joe Peffer is the realtor.
    http://deliciousrealestate.com/

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

TaraK said:
    You know, I want to be open-minded about OTE/KLD, but I kind of can’t get past our initial experiences. We moved to Columbus with little preparation four years ago and first rented in OTE in an area just behind East HS. The experience wasn’t great. Repeat car break-ins/vandalism, a guy mugged in our front yard, etc. There was also a lot of foot traffic that would verbally harass. I like the location’s proximity/amenities, but I haven’t been sold on it.

Is there a specific section of it you’d recommend?

It’s a very spotty neighborhood, and behind East High is not one of the better areas. A lot of it is street-to-street, but in general Franklin and Oak near Parsons, Bryden a few blocks from Parsons, Franklin and Rhodes Ave near where they intersect, and the streets between Broad and Long close in towards downtown are the nicest and most stable spots.

The often-overlooked Eastgate is also a quiet and safe neighborhood (except for the little section right next to the housing development).

Look for a street with lots of trees, and few or no boarded-up houses or apartment buildings for your best bets.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

lattethunder said:
    Columbus is open enrollment I think so you could still utilize Clintonville’s schools, yes?

You would only be able to lottery for a chance into those schools, it is not a guarantee your child would be accepted.

But, areas with lower taxes with failing neighborhood schools (failing schools allows you to apply for the EDchoice state funded scholarship) could provide you with the money to send your child to a private school if you would like to do so.

TaraK
    Participant

Anne said:
    You would only be able to lottery for a chance into those schools, it is not a guarantee your child would be accepted.

But, areas with lower taxes with failing neighborhood schools (failing schools allows you to apply for the EDchoice state funded scholarship) could provide you with the money to send your child to a private school if you would like to do so.

Oh, really? I had no idea.

Anne, how would you describe living in KLD’s sense of safety? I.e. taking the kids for a walk at night.

UrbanApplachian
    Participant

That would be a easy choice for me. Clintonville seems to be the most walkable of the three areas and is nearly in the center of the city, not to mention High St. and all the things of interest on it are just a walk, bike, car, bus ride away.

Some of the most attractive smaller bungalow homes in Columbus are there, although I’m sure they are on the pricy side. For civic engagement, walkability and shopping I’d say Clintonville might be the better choice. Bexley is nice, but can seem isolated. MV is a mixed bag, but you could get more house for your money. It, like most of the South side has fewer good options for shopping. A lot might depend on how important schools were to you…

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

lattethunder said:
    Well it is overpriced…

That doesn’t have the more upscale fixtures that you can finds for homes in the low to mid 100ks in OTE, it’s not in the best section of the neighborhood and some of the pictures make it look unfinished! Anyone willing to do their own renovation work would get a similar house in the area for 1/4 that cost. Half that block is unrenovated/vacant/has a homeless dude squatting in it (I have some stories by my own home search).

The Today Show would disagree ;)

DouginCMH
    Participant

I’ve lived in three homes in C-ville (43202 and 43214) and certainly don’t regret for a moment having settled here. But as with so many things in life, it all depends on what you’re after.

I arrived in Columbus in ’04 and, to me, Clintonville has become a much more interesting, progressive place in that relatively short time. It still has it’s annoying quirks (just read the ENB left turn lane insanity thread), but those seem to becoming fewer and farther between. I’m very excited at the newer small business development here, the trends I’m seeing; cafes, restaurants (not a lot yet, but it’s getting better; especially love that Harvest Pizzaria is coming here); C-ville Outfitters; the new Lucky’s Farmers Market that’s going into the old Goodwill location, as well as a great local shop like Weiland’s; stores like mix:Home, SoBo, Euro Classic, and Elm & Iron. Considering my bacchanalian tendencies, I love the beer choices we now have in the ‘ville. Studio 35 is one of my favorite spots on the planet. I love, and can easily walk to, the farmer’s market. We have a couple of kayaks that we routinely drop into the ‘mighty’ Olentangy at Northmoor Park and, of course, there’s the bike path there, as well.

I love old houses and can do a lot of my own renovation work. For me, that’s made a huge difference in my ability to buy into a nice neighborhood and develop equity in a house. If that’s something you can do, as well, I think there are real deals to be had in Clintonville.

Re: schools, my kids went to Clinton Elementary, which is a just a wonderful place. Middle school options are more iffy, though if you get into Indianola Alternative, you can skip over that issue.

I think the big outstanding issue here is what will eventually happen at North Broadway and High, particularly the SW corner. I’m sure in the next few years that’ll hit the fan. If it’s done right, it could really assist in the overall positive development in this area.

lattethunder
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    The Today Show would disagree ;)

If it were appropriately priced it would have sold! =)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: