Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Picking a place to buy a home in Columbus: 3 neighborhoods

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Picking a place to buy a home in Columbus: 3 neighborhoods

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #98730

    TaraK
    Participant

    Disclaimer: I’m posting this here because, what the heck, maybe other Cbus residents can offer other perspectives and insights. Some of you have lived in these areas, bought and sold homes, and have experiences we don’t have.

    We’re thinking of buying our first home, and we’ve narrowed it down to three areas: Clintonville, Bexley, Merion Village. While our reasoning is mixed, we generally want an affordable, single-family home that’s accessible via bus and that’s walkable to at least a coffee shop and a restaurant or two. Also, we’d like it to feel safe enough that I’m game to go for a run at 8 PM. We currently live in Schumacher Place and love the vibe, but it’s a bit more expensive to buy here.

    Before we buy, I’m curious if there are factors we’re not considering. So here’s how I feel about each:

    CLINTONVILLE: most desirable location, convenient to business and to my workplace (OSU), close to friends. Decent schools. Housing options are toward the top of our budget and often not as updated. Also, housing goes fast and options aren’t as plentiful. Shortest work commute; 20 min. via bus.

    BEXLEY: dislike the distance from the rest of Columbus (feels remote), but like the area. Walkable. Larger, more updated homes for the price. Really great schools. Near no one we know. 40 min. commute via bus. Most/nicest house for $$.

    MERION VILLAGE: most like where we live now, friends nearby, walkability varies; some homes are smaller, much of MV is too far south or east for my liking, so only part of the area is desirable. Houses vary in updates. Schools are meh. 40 min commute via bus.

    What else should be considered?

    #551036
    Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

    Merion Village is the most transitional of the three –it has rougher edges, but also I’d imagine more of a chance of finding a really great deal on a house. For my own preferences, I’d prefer MV out of the three, except for the schools.

    I’ve always had really good associations with Bexley, although I’ve heard mixed reviews from others. It generally seems like a very safe, pleasant, attractive place to live. It’s not really any further from downtown than Clintonville is.

    I don’t like the housing stock in Clintonville, and it’s overpriced compared to the rest of Columbus, but otherwise there’s really no bad things to say about it. It’s known as a place for grown-up hippies, and that’s AOK in my book.

    #551037

    TaraK
    Participant

    ChrisSunami said:
    Merion Village is the most transitional of the three –it has rougher edges, but also I’d imagine more of a chance of finding a really great deal on a house. For my own preferences, I’d prefer MV out of the three, except for the schools.

    I’ve always had really good associations with Bexley, although I’ve heard mixed reviews from others. It generally seems like a very safe, pleasant, attractive place to live. It’s not really any further from downtown than Clintonville is.

    I don’t like the housing stock in Clintonville, and it’s overpriced compared to the rest of Columbus, but otherwise there’s really no bad things to say about it. It’s known as a place for grown-up hippies, and that’s AOK in my book.

    I’d be interested to hear more about the folks who’ve lived in Bexley. That’s the one we’re least familiar with. I.e. we’ve gone there for dinner, for the Drexel, but we don’t know anyone who has lived there. Most folks we know are in GV, Clintonville, Short North, etc.

    #551038

    MikeReed
    Participant

    Did you compare property taxes?

    Bexley:
    Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2011: $4,842 (1.7%)
    Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Bexley-Ohio.html#ixzz2ebchDlAp

    43202 (south clintonville)
    Real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2011:
    This zip code: 1.5% ($2,611)
    Read more: http://www.city-data.com/zips/43202.html#ixzz2ebcpGKVw

    Merrion village is lower than both.

    #551039

    lattethunder
    Participant

    It’s kinda funny that Bexley is “too far from columbus” and MV is too far east, but I grew up on the east side, so it’s definitely a matter of perspective. =)

    I can’t speak on clintonville because I strongly, somewhat irrationally dislike it.

    As for Bexley, I love Bexley and having gone to school there, So I have mostly positive things to say about it. I’ve heard some not so positive things same as Chris but I have never experienced any issues. One thing I would like to point out: There aren’t all that many cheap houses in Bexley either, and the taxes are insane.

    Also, I think being closer to the parts of the City you are familar with will ultimately make you much happier. I’d take that into consideration.

    I love MV and if I were in your shoes, that’s the one I’d pick. But the Bus commute to OSU is awful…

    #551040

    TaraK
    Participant

    MikeReed said:
    Did you compare property taxes?

    Bexley:
    Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2011: $4,842 (1.7%)
    Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Bexley-Ohio.html#ixzz2ebchDlAp

    43202 (south clintonville)
    Real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2011:
    This zip code: 1.5% ($2,611)
    Read more: http://www.city-data.com/zips/43202.html#ixzz2ebcpGKVw

    Merrion village is lower than both.

    Those #s don’t really represent what we’re finding. The homes we’ve looked at in Clintonville tnd to be around $3,000, in Merion about $2,800-3,000, in Bexley about $2400-$2800.

    It may be because the Clintonville homes we’re look at are at the TOP of our price range; the Bexley ones are up to $20k lower.

    #551041

    lattethunder
    Participant

    Honestly, I can’t think of any recommendations for you. There really aren’t a whole lot of good, central, neighborhoods that are walkable, have a lot of amenities and “feel safe” (Now, I know what consituents as “feeling safe” varies a lot of person to person, but what the general public would consider “safe,” as wrong as that may be.)

    Westgate, Eastgate, and Berwick are all safe neighborhoods, but are not walkable. Linden, the hilltop, and the bottoms Franklinton are extremely walkable but not “safe.”

    Maybe split the difference in OTE? Columbus is open enrollment I think so you could still utilize Clintonville’s schools, yes?

    #551042

    lattethunder
    Participant

    TaraK said:
    Those #s don’t really represent what we’re finding. The homes we’ve looked at in Clintonville tnd to be around $3,000, in Merion about $2,800-3,000, in Bexley about $2400-$2800.

    It may be because the Clintonville homes we’re look at are at the TOP of our price range; the Bexley ones are up to $20k lower.

    You’re sure you’re looking in the City of Bexley proper and not Eastmoor? I looked at a home priced right over 100k and the taxes were 4800!

    #551043

    Mercurius
    Participant

    Main Street though Bexley is idyllic–but I’d want to live in on a sycamore lined street where I could walk to Main Street and parks along the Alum. I have a feeling those homes are out of my price range?

    When I bought in Italian Village I couldn’t afford Clintonville. I’d say Cintonville and Bexley are expensive as anywhere in Columbus. Sure you can go to the fringes of Clintinville or Bexley–but you lose the amenities of why living there is desired. That said, I’d open up where you are looking: e.g. downtown Worthington, Grandview area, Marblecliff, Upper Arlington near Lane and even German Village/Short North/Downtown.

    You never know what you’ll find so don’t limit your options. There are foreclosures, for sale by owners, people underwater etc. Take your time and find exactly what you want. I personally would love to live in a ravine in Clintonville, a warehouse loft near downtown or Rush Creek Village.

    #551044

    TaraK
    Participant

    Mercurius said:
    Main Street though Bexley is idyllic–but I’d want to live in on a sycamore lined street where I could walk to Main Street and parks along the Alum. I have a feeling those homes are out of my price range?

    When I bought in Italian Village I couldn’t afford Clintonville. I’d say Cintonville and Bexley are expensive as anywhere in Columbus. Sure you can go to the fringes of Clintinville or Bexley–but you lose the amenities of why living there is desired. That said, I’d open up where you are looking: e.g. downtown Worthington, Grandview area, Marblecliff, Upper Arlington near Lane and even German Village/Short North/Downtown.

    You never know what you’ll find so don’t limit your options. There are foreclosures, for sale by owners, people underwater etc. Take your time and find exactly what you want. I personally would love to live in a ravine in Clintonville, a warehouse loft near downtown or Rush Creek Village.

    Grandview, Upper Arlington, Short North, and German Village are all waaaaaaay pricier. We started out open; the prices shut those doors. Downtown’s not a consideration because we want a single-family home, i.e. no condos.

    #551045

    Mercurius
    Participant
    #551046
    Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

    we generally want an affordable, single-family home that’s accessible via bus and that’s walkable to at least a coffee shop and a restaurant or two. Also, we’d like it to feel safe enough that I’m game to go for a run at 8 PM.

    I didn’t mention it, because you’d already narrowed down your neighborhoods, but we love it here in the KLD/OTE, and there’s a lot of brand-new walkable amenities here, including a bakery/coffee-shop, restaurant, tavern and food co-op. And the prices are significantly lower than any of the places you’re looking, for some of the best housing stock in the city. Plus it’s closer into downtown than any of the other options.

    It’s not as safe as the other places, but it is improving quickly.

    #551047

    rory
    Participant

    Depends on what part of the Short North you are comfortable living in. Wagenbrenner is about to build new houses on Grant for a little over $200,000 and there’s a house being completely renovated on Hamlet and 7th Ave. for close to the same price I think. Not to mention some vacant lots near that available for new builds. If you’re looking in Merion Village it’s not crazy to look at Weinland Park.

    #551048

    joev
    Participant

    The north end of Merion is a great place to live. Bexley would be my second choice. Clintonville is so vast and far away from downtown.

    #551049
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    Mercurius said:
    http://1224fair.com/

    Wow. Still on the market?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 113 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: