Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Piada - Restaurant Growth, News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Piada – Restaurant Growth, News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Piada looking beyond Midwest in next stage of expansion, with catering on tap as well

May 17, 2013, 10:36am EDT

Dan Eaton

Staff reporter-Business First

Pretty soon, Piada Italian Street Food won’t have to explain what a piada is anymore. The Columbus-based fast-casual Italian chain, a few months shy of its third birthday, is at 10 restaurants with as many as nine more set to open by early 2014.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2013/05/17/piada-looking-beyond-midwest-in-next.html

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

I was really hoping a Piada would open in the Short North/downtown area. :(

RedStorm
    Participant

Agree with Stephen. The new Steak Escape would have been nice.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Stephen43215 said:
    I was really hoping a Piada would open in the Short North/downtown area. :(

Who said that it won’t still happen? ;)

News
    Participant

Fazoli’s taking aim at Piada with new fast-casual Italian brand
    Jul 2, 2013, 12:59pm EDT UPDATED: Jul 2, 2013, 5:28pm EDT
    Dan Eaton
    Staff reporter-Business First

Piada Italian Street Food is getting a competitor with an Italian pedigree and Ohio ties, but don’t expect a Central Ohio showdown just yet. Fazoli’s is launching a brand with a fast-casual approach that will sell piada-style wraps, pasta bowls and salads.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2013/07/fazolis-taking-aim-at-piada-with-new.html

buckette13

It appears there is some competition btewing in the west. I don’t which came first but they are very, very similar.

Trend Watch: Burrissimo – Italian-Style Chipotle?

Burrissimo is a fast casual chain here in Southern California that opened for business last year. The food comes from a Chipotle-style quick assembly line but with a twist. Instead of Mexican food, you get to assemble your own Italian entree.

http://www.brandeating.com/2013/08/trend-watch-burrissimo-italian-style-chipotle.html#more

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We spotted a similar place on a trip to DC earlier this summer:

Home

I think there’s a lot of these places out there. Probably enough room for a lot of them too, as they’re certainly plenty of Chipotle-like places on the market.

News
    Participant

Piada Serving Up Fresh Italian Fast
    BUSINESS PROFILES — BY SUSAN POST ON AUGUST 23, 2013 AT 8:00 AM

Piada has become a staple in the fast-casual food scene in Columbus in a very short amount of time. The Italian eatery offers seemingly endless ways to customize your perfect bowl of pasta or enjoy a fresh salad.

After selling his upscale Italian eateries Brio and Bravo!, owner and entrepreneur Chris Doody wasn’t ready to sit on the sidelines. He examined the market and found two standout restaurants showing consistent growth and success – Panera Bread and Chipotle. Doody looked at what made these eateries top in the industry, great product at a great value, and put an Italian twist on it to create Piada.

READ MORE: http://www.themetropreneur.com/columbus/piada-serving-up-fresh-italian-fast/

News
    Participant

Press Release:
    PIADA Receives Significant Investment From Catterton Partners
    SEPTEMBER 27, 2013 08:00 AM EDT

COLUMBUS, Ohio, Sept. 27, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — PIADA Italian Street Food, an authentic fast-casual Italian eatery based in Columbus, Ohio with restaurants in Ohio and Indiana, today announced that Catterton Partners, the leading consumer-focused private equity firm, has made a significant investment in the company. Catterton’s investment will be used to continue growing the PIADA concept across the country. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

PIADA currently has 14 locations across the Midwest, with 6 planned to open by the end of 2013. The company is poised for significant national expansion throughout 2014 and the years to come. In 2013, PIADA was named one of Nation’s Restaurant News’ five “Hot Concepts” as well as one of Nation’s Restaurant News’ top 50 breakout brands.

“We are excited to enter into this strategic partnership with Catterton, which has extensive expertise in developing restaurants and expanding brands,” said Chris Doody, founder and CEO of PIADA. “We are confident that PIADA’s fresh ingredients, innovative menu and customizable options will translate well to new markets throughout the U.S. and beyond. With Catterton’s support, we look forward to the continued evolution of our growth strategy as we pursue our goal of building the leading fast-casual Italian restaurant company in the country.”

“We believe PIADA will be one of the great success stories in fast-casual dining,” said Scott A. Dahnke, Co-Managing Partner of Catterton Partners. “PIADA is the leading player in the Italian fast-casual space and fits squarely within our investment strategy of finding top companies in great categories. We have a long history of partnering with exceptionally well positioned restaurant concepts such as Noodles & Company, Mendocino Farms, P.F. Chang’s, Baja Fresh, Bloomin’ Brands, Primanti Brothers, Cheddar’s, and First Watch, and believe that our extensive experience makes Catterton the ideal partner for PIADA.”

“With its upscale ingredients, customizable offerings and fast, convenient style of service, all at an attractive price point, PIADA is primed for growth,” said Jon Owsley, a Partner at Catterton. “We look forward to leveraging our expertise and working with Chris and his management team to expand the brand.”

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

I have yet to try Piadia, but what should I know about it? Why is it so dang popular?

Graybeak
    Participant

CalebR said:
    I have yet to try Piadia, but what should I know about it? Why is it so dang popular?

why is Chipotle popular. Because this is pretty much the same business model, just with italian flavors instead of “mexican”.

Honestly, I don’t know. Way too much rice for my taste.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

so its an italian version of Chipotle?

Mister Shifter
    Participant

CalebR said:
    so its an italian version of Chipotle?

If you want to oversimplify it, sure.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    If you want to oversimplify it, sure.

In my experience, literally every single person, on their first trip to Piada, looks around and exclaims, “This is just like Chipotle!”

Also, conversations about Piada with people who haven’t been there always go like this:

Person 1: “I’ve never been to Piada, what’s it like?”
    Person 2: “It’s basically an Italian Chipotle. I like it/don’t like it.”

No exceptions!

Realist

What’s refreshing is that Chris Doody freely admits he modeled it after Chipotle. Few things frustrate me more than restaurateurs who act like they created a concept that was clearly copied (i.e. Bakersfield).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE