Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Photo Collection of the Old Municipal Light Plant

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Photo Collection of the Old Municipal Light Plant

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Great photo set of the old building located at the end of Nationwide Boulevard where NRI is planning to eventually build more residential units…

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbh3743/sets/72157623976106968/with/4746622540/

COLUMBUS MUNICIPAL LIGHT PLANT

DC EXCITER AT OBSERVATION BALCONY

OLD BOILER HOUSE

OLD BOILER HOUSE

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Wow this building is so cool! I heard the city will be knocking down the smokestack soon, but I hope the building itself could be redeveloped.

6a
    Participant

Those bricks overheard quite a number of stories, I bet. Neat place, hope it can be saved & reused.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

there was discussion years ago about PCB pollution on the site, doubt that has been dealt with. Nice to see the inside of the building.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

BTW there is a boat launching ramp into the Olentangy there. It is possible to launch a motorboat onto the “downtown pool” and go as far as the water plant on Dublin Rd. While the city thinks the river is dead, there’s actually some good fishing.

futureman
    Participant

Here’s hoping it’s saved…

Call to spare Columbus’ historic municipal light plant
    City officials to decide fate of 1880s structure, 3 other buildings

By Mark Ferenchik
    The Columbus Dispatch Friday April 5, 2013 8:34 AM

A consultant is recommending that an 1880s building at the old municipal light plant west of Downtown be saved and restored.

That’s good news to Amelia Jeffers, a Delaware auctioneer who is thinking about moving her entire business to Columbus and is interested in the building, which she calls “wonderful.” She also likes the location — close to I-670 and Rt. 315 — and the potential number of parking spaces.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/04/05/call-to-spare-historic-municipal-light-plant.html

Graybeak
    Participant

futureman said:
    Here’s hoping it’s saved…

She also likes the location — close to I-670 and Rt. 315 — and the potential number of parking spaces.[/i]

Wow. The number of parking spaces as a draw to move someplace. What a wacky concept.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I did a project on this a few years back proposing something similar to the Baltimore Power Plant. This is such a unique space and they had better not tear it down. It would make a great anchor for the planned residential neighborhood NRI has in store.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE