Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Philco Bar & Diner in Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Philco Bar & Diner in Short North

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Zyro
    Participant

I went into this place with a couple friends not really expecting much. I wanted breakfast food and it was past 3:00, so I couldn’t get any at North Star Cafe. One of my friends said it was going for “upscale diner”.

Man, this place AMAZED me. I got the simple pancakes, eggs, and bacon, with a side of their maple ricotta corn bread, and man….I wish I ordered the whole menu. This place blew me away. The cornbread was AWESOME and I even go to try their fish tacos (also awesome) and their Nutella grilled cheese sandwich, quite possibly the most unique item on there, and it just tasted SO damn good. VERY fair prices, too.

Highly recommend. They also have really good cocktails. Their Gin & Jam drink is fantastic. It uses a different kind of jam every day. There are one or two other ingredients but I can’t quite remember.

It’s a small place and “upscale diner” atmosphere is a pretty accurate description. I’m not sure if it’s well known or not, but for the time being I’m going to pretend like I’ve discovered a gem :p

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

It’s not exactly off the beaten path, but I definitely think people “forget” about how good Philco is.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

OneBagTravel
    Participant

^I’m dying.

surber17
    Participant

We go there about once every two weeks and not once have I had a bad meal. Freakin love this place.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I’m a pretty big fan as well. I don’t think I’ve ever had anything I didn’t like. It can be a tight squeeze sometimes though as it can get pretty busy.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

This is making me very hungry.

ennui
    Participant

Their food is literally, actually perfect. I kind of dislike spending my money in the Short North because there are other areas that need the business way more, but a friend tricked me into going here and boy oh boy.

Fsonicsmith
    Participant

I failed to see this thread when I posted this under the “restaurant review” thread:

OK, it’s been two and a half years since the last comment here and Philco deserves more talk IMHO. The original review fails to take note of what Philco does well. Namely, breakfast. There is no place in town with better hotcakes. They are fluffy, light, and slightly sweet with what I suspect is a perfect mix of flour and cornmeal. The “traditional breakfast” with two hotcakes, two eggs, and bacon can’t be beat for under ten bucks with coffee if you are looking for something a cut above Bob Evans fare. The bacon is not just any bacon either. The breakfast tacos are even better than the “traditional breakfast”. The Huevos Rancheros, I admit, are a bit ordinary and could be elevated. This is also a great place for lunch and dinner if you want very well executed comfort food in a diner setting. It is not a place to dwell over a long meal-the pace is high as it ought to be in a diner, though the staff do nothing to push diners out the door. And lastly, I have never encountered more professional staff in a similar setting. Strange since the staff at the other restaurants in the same group are not nearly so polished, particularly at The Rossi and El Camino. In the last year Philco has become one of my top 5 casual spots in Columbus. And you can eat in that time slot that is generally dead in the SN, or any other non-chain restaurant, between 8:00 and 11:30 a.m.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Funny thing is, Philco was (is?) the name for electronics like radios in Ford cars.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Funny thing is, Philco was (is?) the name for electronics like radios in Ford cars.

I think the name is a tribute to the restaurant’s former identity, for many many years, as “Phillips’ Coney Islands.”

Nancy H
    Participant

I think the name is a tribute to the restaurant’s former identity, for many many years, as “Phillips’ Coney Islands.”

That is my understanding too. The old place was a bit more greasy and old school diner, but the food was simple and good. They had some of the best soups in the neighborhood.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Ate there over the weekend. Loved the breakfast. I gotta go back for their happy hour.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Alex Silbajoris wrote:</div>

The name is a throw back to the old Philips Coney Island, but they definitely have incorporated a few Philco Electronic things into the decor. Which I think is a cool retro touch.

But yes this place has great breakfast food. But my favorite dish is the pot roast.

hometown
    Participant

We consider this restaurant a “Townie” place catering to local residents over tourists. Breakfast is the best bet in our opinion. Try the huevos rancheros with extra beans, sit in the window and watch the world go by.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE