Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Sale/Purchase of Nationwide Arena

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports The Sale/Purchase of Nationwide Arena

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 589 total)
  • Author

buckeyecpa
    Participant

agtw31 wrote >>

buckeyecpa wrote >>
    If you’re a fan of the city and it’s growth you should be willing to back the blue jackets.

im a fan of this city,but the bluejackets can take a hike.
    quit blaming the shitty lease with Nationwide as the reason this hockey team is losing it’s ass.
    this is a college football town,period
    everything else brought here just ends up being a sideshow

It wouldn’t hurt being open minded on this. The shitty lease is exactly why they are losing their ass. The team’s support ($) inside the arena is doing well. The only hurt is the lease. Most professional franchises involved in these deals hurt. The way it was developed and signed hurt the potential income the team could make. This is income that many other teams have access too. If this team goes it will not be replaced. Look at the trend of what happens when a major sports team leaves an arena and what happens to the surrounding area. When I say surrounding it’s not just the Arena District. You will see the victorian village, short north, downtown, brewery district areas become hit due to this. Just because you’re not a fan of the sport or team (obviously by the football town comment ) doesn’t mean it does not benefit you or your friends.

This does not come down to a sports franchise within our city. This comes down to the economic impact. It is our responsibility to support opportunities and ideas that improve our city. You won’t always be a fan of everything that goes on around you but you can at least look at the big picture and realize what it brings to the table. I’m sure many in the SN aren’t into body building and the arnold. But if you ask may of the business owners they’ll say they welcome it even if they don’t understand it. This is similar.

The sin tax wouldn’t hurt any of us unless we’re directly involved in those industries as much as we’re led to believe. It may cause early problems for businesses but people will still be out buying their booze and having a good time. Plus the money would offset with many of those businesses around the Arena. It’s a better option than having the team leave and not selling any alcohol.

A city tax increase isn’t necessary but again shouldn’t be much. The city will be a great benefit if we owned the arena. There are many benefits. We’re allowing Nationwide to play hardball by not showing support. They think without support the city will back away due to the risk of failure. With support it allows the city to back away while forcing nationwide to ease the lease.

agtw31

i actually can’t stand Ohio state football.

what else i can’t stand is “businessmen” in this town,who start up a business,then when the business goes bad,they and their fans think “taxes” can solve their problems.

as far as bars and entertainment in the Arena district being economically smacked if the bluejackets leave,i have the smallest violin in the world playing a song for them.

it’s called capitalism,buckeyecpa.

if you’re losing money,shut it down,or sell your assets,and call it a wash.

what you need to do is take a good look at this city,and realize it doesn’t revolve around some frigging arena and a bunch of bars.

im afraid you’re going to have to get a new drug for the bored folks to buy in Columbus,because this bluejacket acid is bad stuff.

buckeyecpa
    Participant

impressive.

adrock

well like the first post says…it’s 42 games a year. that’s not a big deal. the arena district takes care of itself when the weather is nice and that’s the beginning and the end of hockey season.

if rent is the problem though, i don’t know why nationwide doesn’t just buy the team. like i’ve posted before about the crew, the same company owns the stadium and the team…so even if the team does technically pay rent, it’s just a single company paying rent to itself.

cc

I lost faith after Arena Bowl XXI.

If we need to tear it down and turn it into Columbus Commons II so be it. I think the Arena District can survive the loss of the Blue Jackets.

I do wonder if the Arena District has overextended itself. Does anyone know how developments like 300 West Spring St are doing. I kind of worry that the Arena District may be a bit like the phenomena of manufactured bands. That it is possible to ‘buy’ a successful new nieghborhood, and overhype it, atleast in its current form. It has not yet had the test of time.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Every year there’s a “the bars can’t wait for hockey season” article in the Dispatch.

I think it would be safe to say that some of those businesses would close if the jackets were lost.

Core_Models

Yeah, loss of the Arena and/or Bluejackets would be devastating to the area. No question about it. I haven’t been to a game, don’t intend to go to a game, but the AD will be the next BD without the Jackets/Arena.

Tenzo
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    Every year there’s a “the bars can’t wait for hockey season” article in the Dispatch.
    I think it would be safe to say that some of those businesses would close if the jackets were lost.

Guess they would need another venue that would bring in people and their money. Some other business that would bring gamblers to the Arena district.

SusanB
    Participant

If my tax monies are going to support a private industry can I pick one I like better, say something in the Arts?

buckeyecpa
    Participant

Unfortunately arts doesn’t bring in the money to the neighborhoods, county, city like a sports team. There is money that goes towards the arts, not saying it’s enough though.

Our tax dollars can’t always go to things we only enjoy. We have to think about the city instead of ourselves. There are plenty of groups and things my tax money goes to that I don’t support. If it’s neighborhood related and I can see the impact I will support it.

I really wish there would be a true way to show the breakdown of $ spent and earned during the hockey season. But too many are cynical so it wouldn’t even matter. They would just say well I’m not benefiting directly so those groups should buy the team.

It was mentioned for nationwide to buy the team. Usually big corporations don’t buy the teams. They buy the stadiums or they buy the naming rights. This usually causes a problem to the franchise. But many individuals can’t afford to purchase both.

agtw31

buckeyecpa wrote >>

Our tax dollars can’t always go to things we only enjoy.

bingo.

Core_Models

SusanB wrote >>
    If my tax monies are going to support a private industry can I pick one I like better, say something in the Arts?

They already do.

jackoh
    Participant

Could someone explain to me how the survival(or,at least, thriving)of cities became dependent on sports franchises? Is this a sustainable model?

groundrules
    Participant

I’m on the official Blue Jackets mailing list, and they just sent out an email with the Forward Together message. Kinda weird that it came right from the CBJ organization.

Core_Models

groundrules wrote >>
    I’m on the official Blue Jackets mailing list, and they just sent out an email with the Forward Together message. Kinda weird that it came right from the CBJ organization.

Caught the news this morning, not really surprising as Hitchcock and wife seemed to be the official spokespeople.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 589 total)

The forum ‘Sports’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: