Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Sale/Purchase of Nationwide Arena

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports The Sale/Purchase of Nationwide Arena

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 589 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #340022

    Wickham
    Member

    ehill27 said:
    With all this talk about the devalued arena, I just wanted to point out that it was Nationwide who went to court to devalue the property…

    The $42 million purchase price for the arena is slightly lower than the $44 million value Nationwide placed on it during court proceedings to set the taxable value of the building in 2006, a case in which it was in the company’s interest to set the price as low as possible. The county auditor had valued the arena at $129.7 million. It cost $147.1 million to build in 1999, Nationwide said at the time.

    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/09/14/Proposal-to-keep-Blue-Jackets-in-town-to-be-released-today.html

    Yea, thought that was great. Kinda back fired on them when county said they want to buy it from them :)!

    #340023

    ehill27
    Participant

    If Blue Jackets leave, take this sad story[/url] and replace “Kansas City” with “Columbus”.

    #340024

    Wickham
    Member

    ehill27 said:
    If Blue Jackets leave, take this sad story[/url] and replace “Kansas City” with “Columbus”.

    +1

    #340025
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    ehill27 said:
    If Blue Jackets leave, take this sad story[/url] and replace “Kansas City” with “Columbus”.

    Also, the terrorists win.

    #340026

    buckeye54
    Participant

    misskitty said:
    Seriously ? You don’t think they would be conflicted about taking a team that barely wins at least half of their games? That would be as bad as signing a one sided lease.

    The Atlanta thrashers are a prime example of a team that was as bad if not worse then the jackets even in the perennially weak eastern conference that was wisked away to Winnipeg. There are probably between 5 to 7 cities that are legitimately in contention right now for a relocated team and don’t care if they stink or not because they are aware of financial ramifications for their city.

    #340027
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    buckeye54 said:
    The Atlanta thrashers are a prime example of a team that was as bad if not worse then the jackets even in the perennially weak eastern conference that was wisked away to Winnipeg. There are probably between 5 to 7 cities that are legitimately in contention right now for a relocated team and don’t care if they stink or not because they are aware of financial ramifications for their city.

    Wait, relocated teams? I thought we had a 2039 guarantee.

    #340028

    ehill27
    Participant

    ehill27 said:
    If Blue Jackets leave, take this sad story[/url] and replace “Kansas City” with “Columbus”.

    Or this… http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2009/05/the-empty-arena/7379

    #340029

    Wickham
    Member

    Coremodels said:
    Wait, relocated teams? I thought we had a 2039 guarantee.

    We should, Atlanta did not. Their arena is owned in partnership with local governements and Atlanta Hawks owner. No owner wanted to own and NHL team in that city, and the city didn’t fight for one either because it already has an NFL, MLB, and NBA teams.

    I feel as though we are getting off topic a bit though, as we keep thinking that the team and the arena are one entity. When in reality, especially in Columbus’ case, they are not.

    #340030
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    Wickham said:
    We should, Atlanta did not. Their arena is owned in partnership with local governements and Atlanta Hawks owner. No owner wanted to own and NHL team in that city, and the city didn’t fight for one either because it already has an NFL, MLB, and NBA teams.

    I feel as though we are getting off topic a bit though, as we keep thinking that the team and the arena are one entity. When in reality, especially in Columbus’ case, they are not.

    If they NHL decides they aren’t worth continuing to pay, they’re gone. That’s one less poorly negotiated lease we can count on for the arena we now own.

    There’s nothing off topic when it comes to the NHL’s ability to decide, particularly during shitty years, that certain teams aren’t pulling their weight and decide they’re no longer NHL teams.

    #340031

    Wickham
    Member

    Coremodels said:
    Wait, relocated teams? I thought we had a 2039 guarantee.

    Also, Phoenix is still a possibility of being relocated next year, their situation is really complex. Their city council is actually paying 50 million per year (at least for last and this year) directly to the NHL to keep the team. Talk about a mis-allocation of taxpayer funds.

    #340032

    Wickham
    Member

    Coremodels said:
    There’s nothing off topic when it comes to the NHL’s ability to decide, particularly during shitty years, that certain teams aren’t pulling their weight and decide they’re no longer NHL teams.

    It is still an NHL team. Just in Winnipeg now. It moved predominately due to a lack of an owner willing to keep the team in Atlanta. The NHL didn’t decide it really, the city just let it happen.

    #340033
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    misskitty said:
    You know I have heard so many versions of a “Weston” redevelopment for the mall for years now. Just because they toss some stuff around on paper does not mean it will see completion.

    This is not a development plan for the mall:

    New Vision Announced for West Side Redevelopment

    #340034
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    Coremodels said:
    See above. The time is now. Say it or you lose this argument entirely.

    1. I’m not sure I follow.

    2. I’m not sure there’s a win/lose when it comes to opinions on this topic.

    3. I’m not even sure if we’re on opposite sides here.

    #340035
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    #340036
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    Walker said:
    1. I’m not sure I follow.

    2. I’m not sure there’s a win/lose when it comes to opinions on this topic.

    3. I’m not even sure if we’re on opposite sides here.

    You’re supporting a revenue stream you oppose be used for a target you support. If you support the target, and accept the revenue, you support the stream.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 589 total)

The forum ‘Sports’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: