Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

PETA - too sensitive, or doing their job?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics PETA – too sensitive, or doing their job?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Mae Greentree
    Mae Greentree
    Participant

hugh59 wrote >>
    That fly was OBVIOUSLY a member of Al Qaeda that was trying to attack the President. He was well within his right to swat it.

I think that there is something to your theory. I just saw an update… The fly’s name was Muhammad “He who Flies with Bang” bin Qadamu Sidq.

TaraK
    Participant

I’ve got no problem with having a President who swats a fly on TV.

I mean, Jesus, it’s not like he went in front of the cameras and gavaged a fucking goose.

But I bet he could do that goose with more precision and grace than you or me.

PETA is also disgusting with their ads. Check out their STRIP TEASE game over at this site:

http://www.peta.org/feat/abc-striptease/index.asp.

The chick actually winds up naked at the end. With the school girl thing and all… it’s just so bad. It moans and all.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

You think a fly pestering you is annoying, how about something LARGER.

Excuse me waiter, there’s a large bird of prey in my soup.[/url]

Or, I guess you could say, “Excuse me waiter, I ordered the chicken, not the hawk.”

I actually had something similar happen in front of me back in 1987. I was at a medieval festival in Toronto and they were having a display of falconry during the dinner feast. They were showing off a turkey vulture and having it fly across a courtyard adjacent to where we were eating. The handler was on the far side of the courtyard; the person stretching out their arm for the bird to land on was on our side of the courtyard. The handler let the bird go and it flew OVER the intended landing spot and landed on the head of this tall, red haired man sitting across from me. The bird then jumped off his head and landed on the table. The handler came over, collected the bird, and tried again. Once again, the bird flew over the intended landing spot and landed on the table…on my friend TJ’s plate!

If anyone is ever tempted to support PETA, they should simply read about Ingrid Newkirk a bit. Her journey started when she worked at a shelter (cleaning it, not in a medical capacity) and felt the animals were being mistreated, so she started going to work early and killing the animals herself before anyone else got to work…by the thousands. Now, here’s the kicker, even if you think she may have had the animals best interest at heart…after killing thousands of animals, she finally blew the whistle on the shelter and shut it down for cruelty charges…after

While she doesn’t support animal research that could result in the animal’s death, even if it would result in a cure for AIDS…she does support euthanizing all “surplus animals” (pit bulls in particular) that shelters don’t have room for. They are opposed to no-kill shelters, it is part of their actual written agenda, and through their operations at their Virginia HQ they kill an average of 5.8 animals per day.

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/pressRelease_detail.cfm/release/258

PETA Killed 95 Percent of Adoptable Pets in its Care During 2008

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

Tigertree wrote >>
    What gets me is, who DOES like PETA? I don’t know anyone. I have been in too many of these conversations over the years about every single idiotic thing PETA does and I cannot recall one person ever coming to their defense.

I’m with you, I’ve never heard somebody give a defense for one of these “We’re so outraged at (normal behavior X done by public person), let’s all protest/boycott/call for an apology…” routines.

They are so predictable that after my brother said “Dude, our President is smooth even when he kills insects…Got it on the first real attempt!” I told him “You know PETA is going to say something, right? What do you think, two hours tops?” I was joking, but I guess I shouldn’t have been.

As someone else said, it’s not just that they’re outrageous to the point of being caricatures of themselves, but that the media still treats them as a fairly credible interest group and that a certain percentage of normal pet lovers are sending them money.

Tenzo
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>
    I’m about as big an animal lover as you’ll find

Served medium rare with a baked potato

Tenzo wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>
    I’m about as big an animal lover as you’ll find

Served medium rare with a baked potato

heh…nah, that’s how I prepare Bugsy’s food. I’m a rare guy myself ;)

Motorist
    Participant

As much as I think PETA is ridiculous for all the reasons stated, it was the media that contacted them for a statement. So maybe the title of this thread should be The Media – sensationalist douchebags trying to drum up some controversy, or just doing their job? Their response to this didn’t bother me in the least and I got the impression that the humane bug catcher was sent more as a joke than anything.

Bear
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>

I mean, Jesus, it’s not like he went in front of the cameras and gavaged a fucking goose.

I’m sure you’re right. And come to think of it, that might not be a bad response. When people saw how smoothly he did it, and saw the goose cuddle up to his leg afterward, they’d probably think, “Gee, that’s not nearly as bad as I thought it was” and go out and buy foie gras. PETA would go completely apoplectic….

TaraK
    Participant

I’m sure you’re right. And come to think of it, that might not be a bad response. When people saw how smoothly he did it, and saw the goose cuddle up to his leg afterward, they’d probably think, “Gee, that’s not nearly as bad as I thought it was” and go out and buy foie gras. PETA would go completely apoplectic….

Somewhere in all this there are some good Palin jokes waiting to happen. I just imagine if she’d won (and it would have been all about her, not McCain, because he didn’t get the same media attention) it would be a similar scene, but replace the fly with a fawn in a bare-handed single-fisted death strangle. And all the while she’d coo, “Well, you know, Joe…”

groundrules
    Participant

PETA would not be happy with the two felines in my house. They tortured a poor house fly for the better part of two hours last night. I think i’ve seen faster and more humane endings at a fox hunt.

Bear
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>
    Somewhere in all this there are some good Palin jokes waiting to happen. I just imagine if she’d won (and it would have been all about her, not McCain, because he didn’t get the same media attention) it would be a similar scene, but replace the fly with a fawn in a bare-handed single-fisted death strangle. And all the while she’d coo, “Well, you know, Joe…”

Oh, PETA sent Bristol a care package too, for little Tripp, including, and I quote, “An ‘Animals Are My Friends’ bib, so that Tripp can let moose-meat-pushing grandparents know that animals are friends, not food”.

TaraK
    Participant

Oh, PETA sent Bristol a care package too, for little Tripp, including, and I quote, “An ‘Animals Are My Friends’ bib, so that Tripp can let moose-meat-pushing grandparents know that animals are friends, not food”.

That kid’s lucky if the Palins don’t barbecue it.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

groundrules wrote >>
    PETA would not be happy with the two felines in my house. They tortured a poor house fly for the better part of two hours last night. I think i’ve seen faster and more humane endings at a fox hunt.

Let me know when I can get in on that fox hunt thing….

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: