Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Pennsylvania takes major shot at the Arnold Strongman and lack of drug testing

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Pennsylvania takes major shot at the Arnold Strongman and lack of drug testing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author

FWIW, Arnold in a banana hammock *is* the world’s most ridiculous statue. So, there’s that.

buckeyecpa
    Participant

robertsmith said:
    The Arnold has had a horrible influence in Ohio and the rest of the country. It is the yearly convention of “Steroid Nation.” I would think any town would want it gone at this point. Arnold is not here because he likes Columbus, he is here to fill his wallet and roll.
    I am still amazed there is a statue of the world’s most famous drug trafficker in Columbus.

Impressive.

pez
    Participant

robertsmith said:
    The Arnold has had a horrible influence in Ohio and the rest of the country. It is the yearly convention of “Steroid Nation.” I would think any town would want it gone at this point. Arnold is not here because he likes Columbus, he is here to fill his wallet and roll.
    I am still amazed there is a statue of the world’s most famous drug trafficker in Columbus.

An aspect of the Arnold is a showcase of vanity, much like other traits it can lead to dangerous excess. While some may be negatively influenced by this aspect of the show, countless others are inspired to think about moderate fitness and learning better nutrition. While I understand your perspective from knowing people who got destructively caught up in the lifestyle, your narrow view and extreme wording undermines the point of your posts.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

pez said:
    An aspect of the Arnold is a showcase of vanity, much like other traits it can lead to dangerous excess. While some may be negatively influenced by this aspect of the show, countless others are inspired to think about moderate fitness and learning better nutrition. While I understand your perspective from knowing people who got destructively caught up in the lifestyle, your narrow view and extreme wording undermines the point of your posts.

Exactly, it’s a fitness festival not strictly a meathead gathering. And in this midwestern stretched belt buckle anything that inspires people to get off their ass, well good.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Right! If anything The Arnold Fitness Expo has got more cleaned up over the years. I have attended the Arnold since the beginning, and only the last couple of years have sat it out. Remember when it was at Vets? It was much more of a freak show then than it is now. It used to be a strictly hard core body building show but now it has evolved into much more. It’s a fitness show that features all kinds of sports from gymnastics to cheerleading it really has grown to a family event. In fact part of the reason I no longer attend, just too many people, namely families with children. So as of late I have sat it out. But believe me, the Arnold is a shadow of it’s former steroid freak show past.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Miriam Bowers Abbott said:
    FWIW, Arnold in a banana hammock *is* the world’s most ridiculous statue. So, there’s that.

Keep Columbus Weird! ;)

Schoolboy
    Participant

robertsmith said:

Columbus has a statue of Ronald Reagan? Wow. Didn’t know that.

Out of curiousity, you had friends who died of steriod use? Where were you? I had a good friend who died of a drug overdose, but I can honestly say that I did everything I could to help him. He was a musician, but I don’t blame music on his addiction even though he claimed he started using because it helped him write better music. I’m not protesting Comfest. It’s easy to blame someone or something else for your friend’s mistakes. In the end, it was their own doing.

Let’s hope the House of Representatives in Ohio address this issue.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

ohioisbetter said:

What issue?

buckeyecpa
    Participant

ohioisbetter said:

Why do you show up every year under a new username to take a stand against the Arnold. Each time you are met with disagreement. What is the real reason behind these threads/messages?

Buckeyecpa…I am not sure what you are talking about.

But to address your comment. over 800 people are listed as viewing this thread. That represents a lot of people who may have knowledge now about the bad side of the Arnold.

Only about 12 people have responded. I would like to think that the majority of people reading it become more aware of the drug problem this event has caused.

Several agreed it was a problem in fact there was a link provided on my thread to a great TV piece about the growing steroid problem in your community. What is your point?

And that is not to mention the problems I have read about the prostitution and human trafficking the Arnold brings with it to Columbus every year.

Do you work for the Arnold? Do you profit from the Arnold? Will you lose money if the Arnold is shut down or leaves? This is a weak attempt to discredit me. I think you have an agenda or you were asked by someone at the Arnold to try and discredit this post.

Why would I post in July when the Arnold is not on the Columbus people’s radar?

Of course questions are going to come up when it rolls around! You won’t get them from the Wolfe Family controlled media outlets in Columbus.

Don’t you care about the pro-drug influence this show brings to your area?

If it is so stupid, why is an entire state in this country – Pennsylvania – passing a resolution rebuking the Arnold for its lack of testing of steroids? Why are the 3,000 licensed athletic trainers that make up the Pennsylvania Athletic Trainers Society (PATS) backing it?

Why is Forbes Magazine covering it? Why did the New Yorker Magazine do a major story in 2012 about the rampant drug/steroid use at the Arnold?

You really think it is just me? The Columbus Dispatch is a sponsor of the Arnold and refuses to say anything negative about the Arnold – regardless of the body count. So the Columbus community is not getting information about this event. That’s all…why do you care?…don’t read it!

Isn’t that what the Columbus Underground is for? To let people know what is really going on? Or to get different perspectives that the Wolfe family will not allow you to read or see?

Buckeyecpa…stop worrying about who or how something is being said…and listen or read WHAT is being said.

God bless you.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Topic views does not equal how many unique visitors have viewed a topic. Not even close.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    Topic views does not equal how many unique visitors have viewed a topic. Not even close.

Do you even lift, bro?

Graybeak
    Participant

ohioisbetter said:
    stop worrying about who or how something is being said…and listen or read WHAT is being said.

No. That is just about the worst thing ever.

It is very important to know who is saying something, and why they are saying it.

Especially when what they are saying is so impassioned (slanted) for one viewpoint or another.

JeepGirl
    Participant

I used to think the Arnold (and similar events) were simply orgies of egotistical muscle heads that sucked little pills like they were candy, and there may very well be some competitors that fit that description to a T. But, I say used to think because I have a daughter that has over the last couple years become very involved in fitness competition and the fitness community. She is part of a local team that will have a pair of entrants in the bikini fitness category at this years Arnold. Like the other ladies on her team they focus on healthy nutrition and exercise to gain the level of fitness they have and to prepare themselves for these competitions. Witnessing my daughter and many on her team go from an average to high level of fitness via hard, sweaty, determined workouts and healthful nutrition forced me to realize that not all of the people that celebrate their efforts at fitness events are into PED’s and shortcuts. Although my daughter is sitting out the Arnold this year she will be there rooting on here team mates and so will I. As someone else mentioned the Arnold has grown way beyond the muscle head orgy stage.

(From an event last October. She’s the short one in the middle)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: