Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Pedestrians Struck By Vehicles on the rise in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Pedestrians Struck By Vehicles on the rise in Columbus

• This topic has 40 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bear.
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author

I know the answer to the “runners in the street” question. Sidewalks are all jacked up. I run in the dark (work schedule), the darkness hides all the jigs and jags in the sidewalk and I have gone flying face-first into the concrete one time too many.

This is also why I never wear music/headphones for running. I jump off the street the second I hear any vehicle. (And I stick to side streets, too.)

>>> As a driver, I find those “YIELD TO PEDESTRIANS” signs very helpful reminders to be courteous. Maybe some more of those? Maybe even with stronger wording?

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Pedestrians in Columbus seem to not even consider looking both ways before crossing the street (more important to check phone while stepping off into traffic), and on campus the walk/don’t walk crossing signs are nearly completely ignored (i.e. College at 12th).

Flip side, drivers in Cbus can be extremely distracted and aggressive (sometimes at the same time), and it also gets even worse around campus. I wrecked my bike avoiding a distracted driver at 12th and Pearl last year.

To me, pedestrians in Cbus assume drivers are paying attention to them but pay zero attention themselves, and drivers in Cbus assume that everything not getting them A to B as fast as humanly possible is a problem, not a right.

By College and 12th, are you referring to campus? Yeah, blatant distraction is one thing, but that’s a situation where pedestrians should significantly have right of way. The driver should have the expectation that he’ll be bombarded with pedestrians.

If we’re talking campus, I drove down High St. Pay attention to what people do at crosswalks. I can promise you that if you drove the strip from campus, then drove 3rd or 4th street downtown, every single crosswalk you will see people “dipping their toes in the water” then pulling back, and you will usually not see drivers stop. Even if you stop, the pedestrian will pause as if in complete surprise that you stopped for them. In the downtown core, I don’t want to see that. Pedestrians should not be afraid to use crosswalks, and drivers have to learn how to stop.

rus
    rus
    Participant

But what else would you have to talk about if it ended? ;)

Bicycles, veganism, streetcars… any of the other argument topics ;)

force5
    Participant

Here’s one circumstance that I encounter frequently: a runner running in the street(where there is a sidewalk right next to him/her)- after the sun has set- dressed in dark running clothes. Why do they do that?

This wouldn’t be so bad if they were running against traffic but 9 times out of 10 they’re running/walking with traffic.

Coy
    Participant

By College and 12th, are you referring to campus? Yeah, blatant distraction is one thing, but that’s a situation where pedestrians should significantly have right of way. The driver should have the expectation that he’ll be bombarded with pedestrians.

True, but when the pedestrians completely ignore the don’t walk sign when the drivers have a green turning arrow, I can understand the frustration with pedestrians.

Don’t even get me started with all the bikers on campus that think they are NYC messengers and feel the need to ride the yellow line…

CB_downtowner
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CB_downtowner wrote:</div>

True, but when the pedestrians completely ignore the don’t walk sign when the drivers have a green turning arrow, I can understand the frustration with pedestrians.

Don’t even get me started with all the bikers on campus that think they are NYC messengers and feel the need to ride the yellow line…

True. I remember in one instance, I had a biker pass me on a red light on a 1-lane street. Agree that there’s a certain amount of etiquette. Especially when bikers pass in between cars in lanes that don’t exist. I’m talking moreso about crosswalks and walk signs.

I think the short story everyone agrees with is that in terms of pedestrian, biker, and cars… lots of people are breaking the rules or toeing the line. None of it is ever enforced and maybe that’s the problem. I’ve just been disappointed that Ohio seems to side with drivers vs. pedestrians.

JeepGirl
    Participant

I didn’t say it was ok.

Though if you park your Jeep at a meter mid-block and your destination is directly across Gay Street, do you walk all the way to a crosswalk to cross? I doubt it.

Might not have said it’s Ok, but by your actions you obviously believe it’s acceptable to impede traffic flow mid-block simply because you can.

And I never have to park on the opposite side of the street from my destination. With a friendly wave and OK from cool pedestrians I just drive over the curb and pull up onto the sidewalk. Jeeps Rule!!! ;) (winky face added for clarity)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Might not have said it’s Ok, but by your actions you obviously believe it’s acceptable to impede traffic flow mid-block simply because you can.

Yes, the scenario you’ve made up in your mind includes blocks and blocks of grid-locked traffic. So I guess you’re doing a nice job arguing against that make believe scenario.

hometown
    Participant

As a transportational pedestrian, I often feel like a mouse scurrying among a herd of stampeding elephants. It’s true that everybody can be a jerk, whether on a bike, in a car or on foot. It’s also true that when infrastructure stacks the deck against the mouse, she must sometimes find her own way.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Side note – Godown Road is getting sidewalks on those curves between Bethel and Kenny. I’ll try to get pics.

Bear
    Participant

Is your neighborhood fatal for pedestrians? Pedestrian crashes in Columbus
    The Dispatch analyzed Ohio Department of Public Safety data between Jan. 1, 2010 to mid-August 2014 and found that some areas of the city are seeing higher numbers of pedestrian-involved crashes than others. (more)

Nice to have some concrete numbers to look at, and the maps are useful. It’s worth noting, though, that they measure absolute numbers of pedestrian incidents/fatalities, not the rate of incidents/fatalities, which is kind of frustrating — they end up looking a lot like population maps.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE