Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Pedestrians Struck By Vehicles on the rise in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Pedestrians Struck By Vehicles on the rise in Columbus

• This topic has 40 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bear.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Number Of Pedestrians Struck By Vehicles On The Rise In Columbus
    By Glenn McEntyre
    Thursday October 9, 2014 6:27 PM

Whether you’re traveling by foot or by car, Columbus Police have a warning for you. Last month was a deadly one for Columbus pedestrians, and the coming months are expected to be worse.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/10/09/columbus-ohio-number-of-pedestrians-struck-by-vehicles-on-the-rise-in-columbus.html

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Not exaggerating, I nearly get hit once a week by walking around Columbus. Drivers not paying attention at cross walks is a constant problem.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I think the infrastructure is more to blame than the drivers. When the roads are built for cars first and people second, then drivers are naturally going think about pedestrians second.

And I say that as someone who both drives and walks regularly.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

I think the infrastructure is more to blame than the drivers. When the roads are built for cars first and people second, then drivers are naturally going think about pedestrians second.

Under “infrastructure” I’d also add “enforcing the rules.” Has anyone heard of a person getting penalized for reckless driving through a crosswalk? For tailgating a bicycle? For recklessly turning into pedestrians on a red light? I sure haven’t. I was really, really disappointed that the first place people pointed the finger at when discussing road safety was jaywalking. In fact, weren’t these rules changed recently to give pedestrians less right of way? How about we start with some public awareness messaging to drivers about the implications of not sharing the road and then actually enforcing it?

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Maybe. I just notice people not looking left or right when turning on red while I have the cross walk sign. I’ve honed the skill to detect unaware drivers as they approach a red light with a blinker on.

The worst for me are the areas around Spagios and Staufs on Grandivew Ave because people pull out so far without looking for pedestrians :(

drew
    Participant

I wonder if pedestrian accidents bumps up in frequency with the return of OSU students? I’d have to think that the mix of people from rural areas and people from larger cities combined with a city that doesn’t entirely flow like either might have some relevance… but aside from the Worthington accident, they really didn’t give any useful info on locations.

By and large, I put the responsibility for pedestrian safety on car drivers, but the one thing that I’ve seen a lot of lately that scares me is runners in a groove (headphones in) trying to maintain a pace and darting out in front of traffic dangerously.

drew
    Participant

The worst for me are the areas around Spagios and Staufs on Grandivew Ave because people pull out so far without looking for pedestrians :(

That area spooks the hell out of me, both as a pedestrian on Grandview Ave. and as a car driver exiting the lot.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

If you are running or biking (even worse) where traffic is allowed while wearing headphones you are dancing with the devil. Right or wrong, it’s a fact.

joev
    Participant

In my experience, the worst places to be a pedestrian are the outlets of parking garages onto one-way streets. Drivers generally don’t even bother to look the other direction for pedestrians.

joev
    Participant

If you are running or biking (even worse) where traffic is allowed while wearing headphones you are dancing with the devil. Right or wrong, it’s a fact.

And if you’re a driver with the radio on?

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>

And if you’re a driver with the radio on?

I don’t think that’s a very good argument unless you have it turned up to 11.

drew
    Participant

All that’s really important, be it runner or driver, is whether or not you’re paying attention to your surroundings.

But, as a purely practical matter, cars can be heard by runners, but runners can’t really be heard inside of a car. Car drivers are surrounded by 2 tons of steel and glass, and runners aren’t. Runners aren’t limited to roadways (and as such have more flexibility in terms of avoiding a collision) while cars are stuck on the pavement.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I don’t think that’s a very good argument unless you have it turned up to 11.

Or a driver talking on their cell phone.

Or having a conversation with a passenger.

Or driving with noisy kids in the car.

Not defending those who wear headphones with loud music (I’ve ridden or jogged with headphones and quiet music that I can hear traffic over)… but there’s all kinds of distractions all over the place for everyone.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Given the design, you kinda have to. One of the reasons I tend to avoid parking back there; rather walk a block or two. With Panera gone and a steak place on the way that will likely get worse.

force5
    Participant

I can’t tell you how many people I almost hit every week, either when driving or biking, simply because barely anyone looks both ways before they cross the street anymore.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE