Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Peaches!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    derm
    derm
    Participant

I put this in the canning thread, but on further review decided it needs it own thread due to the short time frame for the deal. From Andy Lynd’s newsletter today:

Juicy tree-ripened peaches are now on sale at the market at the greatly reduced price of five pecks for $50! Now through the close of business Thursday, 8/2/12, buy five or more pecks (a peck of peaches weighs approximately twelve pounds) of yellow freestone peaches and pay just $10 each peck. White Lady and donut peaches excluded from the sale price. Tell your friends and neighbors, break out the canning supplies, and enjoy the fruits of our labors! Peaches are regularly priced at $16 per peck and $9 per half peck. Open daily 9 – 6 and located at the intersection of Morse Rd. and S.R. 310

manticore33
    Participant

Very nice! My wife and I picked a bushel of peaches a couple of weeks ago and canned some, made salsa, and jam.

joev
    Participant

Any idea how many pounds of peaches 5 pecks is?

manticore33
    Participant

Joev, when we picked two heaping, heaping bushels of peaches it was about 210 peaches. There are four pecks to bushel.

joev
    Participant

Thanks! So 5 pecks = all the peaches you can dream of :)

manticore33
    Participant

And more!

derm
    derm
    Participant

It is about this many. Boo Yah!

Mercurius
    Participant

manticore33 said:
    Joev, when we picked two heaping, heaping bushels of peaches it was about 210 peaches. There are four pecks to bushel.

So you’re saying that they are selling “a bushel and a peck” for $50. Does that come with a hug too?

derm
    derm
    Participant

Two gallons of cut peaches frozen, innumerable eaten by my family and I, a peach tart made for dessert last night and you can only barely tell we have made a dent in the mountain of peaches. They may have had babies overnight.

manticore33
    Participant

Mercurious, yes.

Derm, that is fantastic. We are getting more peaches tonight to slice up and can. How easy were they to peel?

joev
    Participant

Do you know the trick of putting the peaches in boiling water for 30 seconds to make the skins easy to slip off? Saves a whole bunch of time.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Six gallons frozen peach halves put up
    One peach tart last night
    Two peach crumbles tonight
    Innumerable peaches eaten over the last two days
    Eight peaches sent home with my sister after a visit.

Still 3 out of 5 pecks left.

derm
    derm
    Participant

8 gallons frozen peaches
    2 crumbles eaten
    1 crumble in the oven
    1 tart mostly gone
    Innumerable peaches eaten by family and friends
    9 half pints of peach jam
    8 peaches given to my sister

One peck left….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: