Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Paulie Gee’s

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Paulie Gee’s

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Fsonicsmith
    Participant

Yeah, but there’s a big difference between traditional NYC pizza as a carryout item and Neapolitan as carryout. Neapolitan does not travel well. It really needs to be eaten right out of the oven. The difference between Harvest carryout and Harvest at the restaurant is fairly stark, imo.

I like to think I know a good deal about NY pizza but I confess I had to look up the distinction between “NYC style pizza” and “Neapolitan”. Here is what I found; http://www.thedailymeal.com/patsy-grimaldi-difference-between-new-york-and-neapolitan-style-pizza Kind of ironic for me, because when I mentioned that I’ve been to the icons, I was thinking mostly of De Fara’s and Grimaldi’s.

I am not saying you’re wrong, but do you know for a fact that Paulie Gee’s uses “0” or “00” flour? Even if they do, I am not aware that pizza cooked with single or double ought flour travels less well. I believe it just has a different texture.

Nancy H
    Participant

Many SN restaurants say there is not enough regular office or tourist foot traffic to justify lunch hours. There are an incredible number of merchants and staffers who take their lunch most days specifically because carryout is an after thought or badly done in the neighborhood restaurants.

Having decent take out containers and food that is actually ready for pick up when they say it will be would drive a lot of neighboring businesses to any food establishment’s door Monday through Friday.

I know any number of skilled craftsmen (carpenters, electricians, plumbers, etc) who find it embarrassing to do a sit down lunch in the SN food establishments. Embarrassed because they are so grubby with sawdust, plaster dust, etc. But, most would do take out if it was available and reliable. Check out North Market at lunch time during the week. It is packed with City road crews and construction workers because the Market welcomes them even if they are a bit dusty and grubby.

mbeaumont
    Participant

I am not saying you’re wrong, but do you know for a fact that Paulie Gee’s uses “0″ or “00″ flour? Even if they do, I am not aware that pizza cooked with single or double ought flour travels less well. I believe it just has a different texture.

I don’t really have a strong opinion on this topic, I’m just saying it’s a thing in the neapolitan pizza world:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/09/pizza-delivery-and-the-economics-of-reputation.html

bayrea
    Participant

Just looking at their menu it seems like they are trying too hard. Sometimes I just want a good pizza with pepperoni and cheese. Can I get that here? No, I must have House Red Sauce, Hot Sopressata, Mozzarella, Parmigiano Reggiano with a hot honey drizzle?? Not saying I won’t check the place out but the NO SUBSTITUTIONS cries out “I am too cool and I don’t care what you like”

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Sometimes I just want a good pizza with pepperoni and cheese.

And there are many places you can find that.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bayrea wrote:</div>
    Sometimes I just want a good pizza with pepperoni and cheese.

And there are many places you can find that.

Can we finally get a place that serves pepperoni and cheese??? /s

Fsonicsmith
    Participant

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/09/pizza-delivery-and-the-economics-of-reputation.html

Helpful. Looks like this guy equates “Neapolitan” with any pizza of a certain style (San Marziano tomato and fresh buffalo cheese) cooked in a wood-fired oven. Not wrong btw, I think what constitutes “Neapolitan” is up for debate. My experience is that yeah, the pizza is best right out of the oven. But shit, 98% of all food, pizza or otherwise, is best right out of the kitchen and takes a big hit by the time you have it delivered or get it wherever you are going. I believe, fwiw, that even pizza made with superfine, high gluten flour, can be revived quite a bit by sticking it in a hot oven, right on an open rack, for three minutes or so. So back to Paulie Gees; the bottom line is that it seems pretentious as hell to not offer takeout on the basis that Pualee Gee knows best (vs. the customer) and this seems to be reinforced by allowing no substitutions of ingredients. At the end of the day, I will give it a try in another week or two. After a long hiatus on my part due to some hit and miss pies, I have suddenly found that Yellow Brick seems to be making one hell of a pie. Chicken Parm and Green Man are my go-to’s. They are great right out of the bag (I live fifteen minutes away) and heat up nicely too.

bayrea
    Participant

I forgot to bitch and moan about the no carryout. How does this even make business sense? Let’s eliminate a portion of our sales because our pizza is “too good” for carryout. What if I don’t finish my whole pie when I am dining in? Can I take the leftovers home? I want to go one night (no afternoon hours?), sit down, order a whole pie, take one bite and say I want the rest to go just to piss them off.

MikeReed
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FSonicSmith wrote:</div>
    Good thing they don’t accomodate take out in order to preserve the “just out of the oven” quality of their pies. Who ever heard of eat-in pizza, only? I’ve been to the iconic pizza joints of NYC and Brooklyn and they sell carry out Za. But, if it sucks, I was spared so all is good.

Yeah, but there’s a big difference between traditional NYC pizza as a carryout item and Neapolitan as carryout. Neapolitan does not travel well. It really needs to be eaten right out of the oven. The difference between Harvest carryout and Harvest at the restaurant is fairly stark, imo.

Other than that, I thought Paulie Gee’s was just ok as well. It’s pricey and doesn’t really feel like it’s necessarily worth that price. I think Harvest is better pizza. But I wish them well. I’ll go back, but I don’t see it becoming a regular stop for us.

Oh and I was told they are adding lunch, they just wanted to ease into it.

Maybe this eat-it-fresh business is why we had such a mediocre experience. We ordered drinks and a pizza- and I had time for 1 sip of my beer before the pizza was at the table. I was surprised and thought “this had to be sitting on the counter waiting for someone to order it, no way they had time to cook it.” So, maybe we got an old pizza that was, for whatever reason, not fresh out of the oven.

Ofc, I don’t know which would be worse- that your pizza is just meh, or that you serve someone a pizza that is not fresh for whatever reason. Either way, not really a great experience. *shrug*

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mbeaumont wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FSonicSmith wrote:</div><br>
    Good thing they don’t accomodate take out in order to preserve the “just out of the oven” quality of their pies. Who ever heard of eat-in pizza, only? I’ve been to the iconic pizza joints of NYC and Brooklyn and they sell carry out Za. But, if it sucks, I was spared so all is good.

Other than that, I thought Paulie Gee’s was just ok as well. It’s pricey and doesn’t really feel like it’s necessarily worth that price. I think Harvest is better pizza. But I wish them well. I’ll go back, but I don’t see it becoming a regular stop for us.

Oh and I was told they are adding lunch, they just wanted to ease into it.

Maybe this eat-it-fresh business is why we had such a mediocre experience. We ordered drinks and a pizza- and I had time for 1 sip of my beer before the pizza was at the table. I was surprised and thought “this had to be sitting on the counter waiting for someone to order it, no way they had time to cook it.” So, maybe we got an old pizza that was, for whatever reason, not fresh out of the oven.

Ofc, I don’t know which would be worse- that your pizza is just meh, or that you serve someone a pizza that is not fresh for whatever reason. Either way, not really a great experience. *shrug*

Their pizzas only take about 5 minutes or so to cook, because the ovens are so hot.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Sort of related.

Side note: I love this series Vice does.

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO