Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Paulie Gee’s

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Paulie Gee’s

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • Author

ImNotaStar
    Participant

Just got back from NY and ate pizza everyday. I wish we could get pizza 10% as good as NY pizza here. Also, the puritan alcohol laws here are depressing as well. On the bright side only a few months left.

Nancy H
    Participant

I’m totally ok with all of those being our peer cities for restaurant expansions. ;)

Yeah, not too shabby company.

With everybody having their own idea of what is a perfect pizza, more choices are good.

PG’s will add some much needed foot traffic to the north end of the SN retail area and provide some more food options for Short North Stage patrons.

Now, if we could just get the CBUS to run to Fifth, instead of stopping at Third…

mbeaumont
    Participant

Hmm, I drove by this morning and PG’s windows were still papered over. Maybe they opened this afternoon? Can’t wait to check it out!

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

I drove by on Friday afternoon, and the windows were still papered up.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

It sounds like Paulie Gee’s is supposed to open on Tuesday.

howatzer
    Participant

Mike88
    Participant

This is very close to my house and I can’t wait to try it.

As far as the earlier debate over best Pizza’s

Osso’s Pizza in Washington PA is hands down the best Pizza on earth and anyone who says otherwise is either lying or a fool! ;)

CbusOSU
    Participant

Had a chance to check out PG last night.

A few observations:

1. It seems the opening is still in the trial phase, as the walls were empty, and they are still tweaking a couple of things on the menu.

2. The space is “intimate” to say the least. Tables and chairs are re-purposed and pretty rustic.

3. Crust. To me, the most important discussion in any pizza conversation, and the crust at PG is quite good. I’d say it rivals, but is not as good as, Harvest.

I think this place will fill a nice niche. I look forward to their progression towards full potential.

MikeReed
    Participant

Tried this spot last night. My experience:

1. 16 oz beers were big. Service was pretty decent- it was fairly full, not overly crowded, but busy enough- and we were well taken care of
    2. My wife said the drink she ordered was great. She loved it
    3. Pizza came out room temperature and really wasn’t that great- we ordered the Hog Pit Brisket pizza- from first bite we were both pretty disappointed. It amounted to 3 slices each of a fairly bland, room temperature pizza for $17

It wasn’t a horrible experience and I wanted to like it because it’s really close to our house, but to plunk down $50 for a pizza that wasn’t that great and a couple of drinks… we agreed we’ll probably never go back.

Someone else’s experience might differ from mine, but that’s the experience I had.

Fsonicsmith
    Participant

Pizza came out room temperature and really wasn’t that great- we ordered the Hog Pit Brisket pizza- from first bite we were both pretty disappointed. It amounted to 3 slices each of a fairly bland, room temperature pizza for $17

Good thing they don’t accomodate take out in order to preserve the “just out of the oven” quality of their pies. Who ever heard of eat-in pizza, only? I’ve been to the iconic pizza joints of NYC and Brooklyn and they sell carry out Za. But, if it sucks, I was spared so all is good.

jOHnH
    Participant

The hours of operation are a bit disappointing, open at 6pm and no lunch hours, even on the weekends. Maybe they are still tweaking the daily operation and those hours might change soon. Just thought 6pm was an odd time to open.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

A lot of businesses in the Short North don’t do weekday lunch service, because there’s not a large daytime lunch demographic in the area.

Also, many restaurants launch with limited hours (especially a Winter launch) and expand once they have their legs under them and the weather warms up.

Give them some time. I would be surprised if they don’t have weekend lunch hours by May.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Good thing they don’t accomodate take out in order to preserve the “just out of the oven” quality of their pies. Who ever heard of eat-in pizza, only? I’ve been to the iconic pizza joints of NYC and Brooklyn and they sell carry out Za. But, if it sucks, I was spared so all is good.

Yeah, but there’s a big difference between traditional NYC pizza as a carryout item and Neapolitan as carryout. Neapolitan does not travel well. It really needs to be eaten right out of the oven. The difference between Harvest carryout and Harvest at the restaurant is fairly stark, imo.

Other than that, I thought Paulie Gee’s was just ok as well. It’s pricey and doesn’t really feel like it’s necessarily worth that price. I think Harvest is better pizza. But I wish them well. I’ll go back, but I don’t see it becoming a regular stop for us.

Oh and I was told they are adding lunch, they just wanted to ease into it.

OSURob
    Participant

Im trying to grasp the idea of no carryout pizza. Is there a bouncer at the door that will block me from walking out with a few slices?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Is there a bouncer at the door that will block me from walking out with a few slices?

Slip a leftover slice into your pocket when no one is looking. ;) Smuggle it out!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO