Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parsons Avenue ideas...?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Parsons Avenue ideas…?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)
  • Author

coolbuckeye
    Participant

How big is the location you are interested in cmhcow?

You know what I believe would really do well there, and I know this may sound pretty random, but I’m tellin ya…

locally owned, good quality doughnut shop.

ETA: or really even a more general bakery.

coolbuckeye
    Participant

best. idea. ever! :) Seriously..

Core_Models wrote >>
    You know what I believe would really do well there, and I know this may sound pretty random, but I’m tellin ya…
    locally owned, good quality doughnut shop.
    ETA: or really even a more general bakery.

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

Talk to the guy at Buckeye Donuts. He seems open to ideas.

JedThorp

You know, I live a block off Parsons in Merion Village, and at first I was like “Doughnut shop?” But, hell yeah. One thing I don’t have is a place I can walk to and get a good cup of coffee, doughnut/bagel in the morning. Know that there are some very neighborhood-minded people in Merion Village commited to supporting neighborhood businesses. (Although, I can’t speak for the other side of Parsons, but I know there are a lot of good folks there, too.)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I know it’s quite a walk from where we’re talking about, but there is a Buckeye Donuts on South High. I guess if there’s enough support for a Plank’s on both Parsons and High, then perhaps two donut shops are in order as well. ;)

yeah, and bear in mind, I like the Buckeye Donut on South High, but I dont’ think its the same owners for one (or at least not the same food), and its not remotely walkable.

ZHC

I’d talk to the local neighborhood associations and such as Kitoba mentioned and see what they felt they could use.

I’d also mingle at various business functions to see if you can network an answer. Sometimes you’ll bump into a business who wants to expand.Or more often you bump into brokers who might rep potential tenants.

I’d also consider looking into getting a Realtor to help you out even though that costs you more out of pocket, the good CRE ones will know of a lot more prospective tenants than you probably will especially if it’s your first time as a Commercial building owner. It might be worth the potential time it could save you.

be prepared to be flexible whatever you do, prospective tenants have unusual leverage lately.
    http://www.realtor.org/rmocommercial/articles/2009/0905_commercial_leasing

And Hey good luck!

Kirk

groundrules wrote >>

Kirk wrote >>
    Hal and Al’s is about the only business worth a shit on that whole street.

ain’t even my ‘hood and I can call bullshit on that one.

It’d be great if you could name another one, because I lived down there for a year and I can’t. Let me just beat you too it, Plank’s is decent but, obscenely overpriced for that neighborhood. If I remember right a pitcher of PBR there costs $9 and a can of pop is a $1.75. Those people are crooks. I’m all for improving that neighborhood and I hope this is a step in that direction.

coolbuckeye
    Participant

Well I think the first “step in that direction” is for people to stop trashing the neighborhood and say something positive or don’t say anything at all. I can’t deny that the neighborhood has challenges but I would rather focus on the great assets like the library, Ganthers place and the hospital and build off of them. I can’t wait to hear your positive comments and ideas about your neighborhood Kirk.

DavidF
    Participant

Plank’s is my favorite pizza in Columbus. Crooks? Doesn’t sound like you really know that area at all.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ZHC wrote >>
    I’d talk to the local neighborhood associations and such as Kitoba mentioned and see what they felt they could use.

+1

The Merion Village Association is one of the most impressive neighborhood groups in the central city. They’ve got a great proactive group down here.

Contact info for the group: http://www.merionvillage.org/menu/contact.html

And here’s an interview with MVA President Bob Leighty from August:

Bob Leighty Chats About All Things Merion Village

A snippet:

WE: What do you think it’s going to take to get more people to take a chance on opening a business on Parsons… or even just coming down to patronize some of the existing businesses?

BL: A friend of mine always says that neighborhoods are built one house at a time, and one business at a time. When you see somebody doing what they’re doing at Hal and Al’s, that’s wonderful inspiration and they are showing that you can pull a crowd there. If you offer a quality service, people will find it and people will come. We’ve got places like Plank’s and Tee Jaye’s that have been here forever and some other little neighborhood spots that are great too. The impact of Nationwide Children’s Hospital adding 2,000 new jobs is going to have a huge impact on Parsons Avenue.

Yeah, like mentioned above I’d get in contact with the Schumacher Place, Merion Village, and Ganther’s Place neighborhood associations. So far, it sounds like a nice doughnut & coffee place is in demand. It never hurts to try and compliment the good businesses that already exist, btw. More synergy, you know. In fact, crime is not nearly as bad as people think. I think it’s safe to say there’s less crime here vs. the Short North due to some revitalization of surrounding residential areas. There is also a website for Parsons Avenue businesses[/url]. Funny how they mentioned a streetcar helped spur development on the corridor. Since people around High St don’t want one maybe there’s be better luck here…Anyway, I welcome more reasons to head down to Parsons and others will too once they come to fruition. For anyone that hasn’t been down Parsons I photographed[/url] the whole thing and with a bit of imagination you can see how nice it can be, if people will get over their preconceptions.

Can’t believe I forgot to give a thumb’s up to Ejay’s Drive Thru as well. Friendliest guys in the world.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>

coolbuckeye wrote >>
    You know what would really help would be an anchor of some sort that adds street frontage for increased workability. I think that community is lacking a pharmacy.

Did Kessel close his pharmacy at Whittier and Parsons? It had been there like 50 years.

It was called Kessco –he sold it to us about two years ago. The main building is now the United Methodist Free Store, and the part that was the pharmacy is a free health clinic.

BTW a new barbershop just opened next to us.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: