Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking Tickets

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Parking Tickets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

DavidF said:
    Certainly a reasonable response to your own mistake.

Does make sense to not participate in a system you don’t understand when mistakes are costly.

After all, it’s not like there’s anything available in the short north that isn’t also available via amazon, ebay, etsy, or what have you.

DavidF
    Participant

rus said:
    Does make sense to not participate in a system you don’t understand when mistakes are costly.

After all, it’s not like there’s anything available in the short north that isn’t also available via amazon, ebay, etsy, or what have you.

No Basil martinis on ebay. Plus, come on, we’ve all screwed up. I’ve gotten a ticket for the exact same thing. I didn’t check for a sign, so I got a ticket. I’m not gonna let my own screw up keep me from doing the things I want to do. I sure as hell am not blaming the Short North for it.

If you don’t understand that permit parking is for cars with permits, maybe you just shouldn’t be driving. I worry that maybe you find stop signs to be a confusing system.

rus
    rus
    Participant

DavidF said:
    No Basil martinis on ebay. Plus, come on, we’ve all screwed up. I’ve gotten a ticket for the exact same thing. I didn’t check for a sign, so I got a ticket. I’m not gonna let my own screw up keep me from doing the things I want to do. I sure as hell am not blaming the Short North for it.

If you don’t understand that permit parking is for cars with permits, maybe you just shouldn’t be driving. I worry that maybe you find stop signs to be a confusing system.

/shrug

Last time I got a ticket it was for an expired meter. Didn’t blame the short north, but women who talk too much and consider “hey, I’ve got to go feed the meter” some kinda tool of male oppression.

That said, there’s not a hell of a lot of reasons for me to even drive through there, let alone stop.

people211

bastardsuperstar said:
    so waitaminute . . .

you made a mistake,
    and you broke the law,

so now an entire neighborhood of merchants will be punished for it?!?!?

ah, makes perfect sense.
    got it . . .

Nope… Just saying I’ll be spending all my Short North money on this @#$%&^ ticket… That’s all.. I’ll be back.. i’m sure..

cc

people211 said:
    Nope… Just saying I’ll be spending all my Short North money on this @#$%&^ ticket… That’s all.. I’ll be back.. i’m sure..

+1 been there, done that

DavidF
    Participant

people211 said:

Well now, that I completely understand. :)

I was certainly less than thrilled I got a ticket and I was just flashing back to previous threads where getting a ticket was blamed on pretty much everybody but the person who parked their car illegally. Sorry for lumping you in there.

nexttuesday
    Participant

For anyone who parks on Buttles next to the park, they are now enforcing the 3 hour or V permit signs. They haven’t enforced the 3 hour limit for at least the past year, but about two weeks ago they timed the cars and ticketed. It was the closest free spot to me (can’t get a permit because my address is not on a permit street). Now I have to park on Neil and walk more than half a mile. Which is good for the environment because a bus will almost always come by in less time than I can walk to my car.

Thank goodness my next place has a lot.

DLDude
    Participant

Thanks for that tidbit Nexttuesday. I live right next to there and have many times directed my friends to park on Dennison without fear of tickets. Will have to explore other options now.

sirlancelot
    Participant

Persons who park on Franklin Avenue (east of Deaf School Park and the main library) please be advised. Be careful not to park beyond the Do Not Park signs (with arrows). Police will ticket your car. Also, do NOT park in front of the brick driveway, by the Junior League house/Kelton House garden, or risk a ticket. Also, unfortunately, the manager of the Belmont Apartments planted many of the shrubs that obscures street signs. Watch out for the bamboo-shrouded stop signs! One wonders why the city hasn’t acted to remove obvious hazards.

Trixie
    Participant

Speaking of parking tickets, I was going to start my own thread because I’m super mad.
    Twice in the last 6 months, I’ve been ticketed on Gay Street for an expired meter. I work on Gay Street so if it’s after 5:00, I usually park in the Vorys lot but sometimes I like to live on the edge and use a meter. Anywho, BOTH TIMES I received a ticket the meter ran fast, about 30 minutes fast. I wait until the time registers on the meter, then make a note of it in my phone so I don’t forget (15 minutes before the meter is going to expire). The first time I complained but had to pay, of course. The second time I was livid and requested a hearing. No shocker, I lost. I’m going to try to avoid parking at meters or be super paranoid and start taking pictures of the expiration time. It’s complete bullshit!!!

misskitty
    Participant

I saw a lady completely freak out on the parking meter attended on Gay last week. She was just screaming “ I have time on that meter are you blind”. The meter reader was like uh it’s for not having a front plate not for being out of time. The lady stopped looked at the ticket and started screaming some more walked away in a huff then tripped and fell on the curb.

Trixie
    Participant

misskitty said:
    I saw a lady completely freak out on the parking meter attended on Gay last week. She was just screaming “ I have time on that meter are you blind”. The meter reader was like uh it’s for not having a front plate not for being out of time. The lady stopped looked at the ticket and started screaming some more walked away in a huff then tripped and fell on the curb.

That sucks but I wish I would have witnessed.

Static-X

DavidF said:

Static-X

Couldn’t be more true, DavidF. What I don’t understand, is why do people yell at parking enforcement officers for doing their jobs? Do these same people yell at gas station attendants for high gas prices? I guarantee you that a ticket writer isn’t giving you a ticket when you have 5 mins. left on your meter or writing a no stopping ticket, while you were parked legal. The ticket writers aren’t getting paid by the ticket and they didn’t wake up in the morning, plotting the writing of your ticket. By the way, to all of you who live in Ohio, the BMV doesn’t give you two license plates because they want you to have a spare. It’s a state law that you display both front and rear plates at all times. Maybe some of us need to go back and reread the Digest of Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Trixie said:
    Speaking of parking tickets, I was going to start my own thread because I’m super mad.
    Twice in the last 6 months, I’ve been ticketed on Gay Street for an expired meter. I work on Gay Street so if it’s after 5:00, I usually park in the Vorys lot but sometimes I like to live on the edge and use a meter. Anywho, BOTH TIMES I received a ticket the meter ran fast, about 30 minutes fast. I wait until the time registers on the meter, then make a note of it in my phone so I don’t forget (15 minutes before the meter is going to expire). The first time I complained but had to pay, of course. The second time I was livid and requested a hearing. No shocker, I lost. I’m going to try to avoid parking at meters or be super paranoid and start taking pictures of the expiration time. It’s complete bullshit!!!

Was it the same meter both times? I had that happen to me once, but called the hotline and left a VM saying that the meter was defective and they dropped the ticket. Was on Long Street, and hopefully that meter was fixed.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 152 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION