Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking Tickets

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Parking Tickets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 152 total)
  • Author

Ndcent

White people smoke crack too.

And I would think there is a lot more gang violence associated with $10 rocks over $100 teeners, hence the harsher penalty. Sure the penalties are out of balance, but I still think the crack penalty should be harsher.

ChrisD28

Ndcent wrote White people smoke crack too.

And I would think there is a lot more gang violence associated with $10 rocks over $100 teeners, hence the harsher penalty. Sure the penalties are out of balance, but I still think the crack penalty should be harsher.

First, yes, white people do smoke crack too. Which is why I said these laws had negatively impacted an “overwhelmingly disproportionate” amount of black people, rather than “only black people.”

Second, the gang violence that is more strongly associated with crack than cocaine is directly based on economic factors. The majority of the people who use cocaine aren’t in gangs because the majority of people who can afford to use cocaine are not faced with economic realities that make joining a gang or not joining a gang a choice that they probably have to make. If their was more money in the areas where crack is sold, I assure you that the gangs would sell cocaine too.

HeySquare
    Participant

Coremodels wrote I would say it’s even more of a “let put poor folks in jail” law.

That’s result, not intent though. For a politician, those kinds of laws are pretty easy to get behind, because then you can say in your re-election campaign “Hey, I’m tough on crime.” And they can be political suicide to fix, I can see the ads now–“Senator so-and-so introduced legislation to let convicted drug offenders out on the street, in your neighborhoods, living right next to the school where your children walk each day.”

It’s high time for some reform laws (no pun intended) but how do you spin it?

Perhaps attack it as a prison issue?… reform laws to keep dangerous prisoners in longer, but… oh yea, we’re going to do something different with these other folks… but how does that play out?

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Also, the guy with the powder could have just gotten lucky and got caught before he rocked it up into more weight of crack.

Not sure that deserves special consideration.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

HeySquare wrote Perhaps attack it as a prison issue?…

I’d say yeah. I really doubt most “proud Americans” realize that we have more people in prison both in number and per capita than any other nation in the world…by a lot.

A lot of those “tough on crime” types may buckle a little if they heard we had more per capita prisoners than evil empires like North Korea, Iran, Russia, China, etc.

marymo

Coremodels wrote

A lot of those “tough on crime” types may buckle a little if they heard we had more per capita prisoners than evil empires like North Korea, Iran, Russia, China, etc.

Point taken, but I think they would retort that the reason North Korea, Iran and China (not sure about Russia) have fewer in jail is because they have much stiffer penalties. i.e. “If we had corporal punishment these crimes wouldn’t happen.” Not that I don’t agree with you, though.

joev
    Participant

marymo wrote

Coremodels wrote

Point taken, but I think they would retort that the reason North Korea, Iran and China (not sure about Russia) have fewer in jail is because they have much stiffer penalties. i.e. “If we had corporal punishment these crimes wouldn’t happen.” Not that I don’t agree with you, though.

Or maybe the reason is that North Korea, China and Russia don’t have the deep pockets the US does when it comes to prison construction. The goal should be to keep people from committing crimes, which would keep them out of prison. I’m convinced we should do that not by reducing penalties or decriminalizing currently illegal behaviors, but by intervening before people feel they need to turn to crime to get by. Build schools, not prisons. Of course, every country has A-holes who commit crimes even though they have other options and know better.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

joev wrote Or maybe the reason is that North Korea, China and Russia don’t have the deep pockets the US does when it comes to prison construction. The goal should be to keep people from committing crimes, which would keep them out of prison. I’m convinced we should do that not by reducing penalties or decriminalizing currently illegal behaviors, but by intervening before people feel they need to turn to crime to get by. Build schools, not prisons. Of course, every country has A-holes who commit crimes even though they have other options and know better.

Prison in the US is industry for one thing. BIG industry. The federal government is currently advertising it’s prison population as “domestic outsourcing”…keep your work local for the same cost as shipping it overseas. You can do that with a couple million factory workers and call center workers who are making 11 cents an hour.

That and the fact that the current “war on drugs” is designed to nab the lowest level offenders and give them substantial sentences to fill those positions.

Community corrections for non-violent offenders is almost non-existent in this country, even though study after study has shown that it’s the single most effective process to avoid recidivism.

Columbusite

Parking tickets to North Korea. Wow, you guys are special. Back on topic, I got a $46 for blocking a garage where there is no garage and they rejected my appeal. Poop.

captain janks
    Participant

so how can they reject it if there is no garage?

Columbusite

The automatically generated letter I received stated they reviewed my appeal and I owe it.

HeySquare
    Participant

My parking ticket story of the evening: so I took my dad to the Tip Top tonight before the Blue Jackets game tonight… parked on Gay Street at 5:30 PM on Saturday night… meter runs until 6.

Neither of us had change. I was going to blow it off, and my dad said to me, isn’t that a city car parked across the street, let’s go get some change, and fill the meter. Well, lo and behold, I hike back down the street with a handfull of quarters, and the meter man is closing in on my car. Ran down the street screaming, I have quarters!!! What a scene…

Moral of the story: downtown should have free parking on weekends. :D

people211

My parking violation story: Italian Village…

Was on my way to a house warming party and we decided to stop in the Short North to buy a gift. Mistakenly parked on a permit only street. Was only there for 15 minutes.. $40 parking infraction!! I will not be shopping the Short North again for a while..

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

so waitaminute . . .

you made a mistake,
    and you broke the law,

so now an entire neighborhood of merchants will be punished for it?!?!?

ah, makes perfect sense.
    got it . . .

DavidF
    Participant

people211 said:
    My parking violation story: Italian Village…

Was on my way to a house warming party and we decided to stop in the Short North to buy a gift. Mistakenly parked on a permit only street. Was only there for 15 minutes.. $40 parking infraction!! I will not be shopping the Short North again for a while..

Certainly a reasonable response to your own mistake.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 152 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION