Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking Tickets

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Parking Tickets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 152 total)
  • Author

HeySquare
    Participant

True story: Friend of mine, Drove on the PA turnpike. Didn’t have enough money to pay the $2.15 toll, so he ran the toll rather than filling out the paperwork. Had a couple of unpaid parking tickets. Let them slide, resulting in his licence being suspended. Police pull him over for the toll, realize his licence is suspended, cart him off to jail for a couple of days. He loses his job, since he wasn’t at work for a few days. Therefore couldn’t afford to get his car out of impound, or pay for any of his fines.

Spends untold hours bitching about how his life is so complicated, and it sucks to be him.

My thought: guess you should have paid the toll.

enzo
    Participant

What do you do if you seriously have no money and are on the verge of being broke, then lose your job? It just seems like there is a better way to manage such infractions.

Tigertree

I don’t think the “but what about the kids” argument is a blank check to be irresponsible. In fact, it would seem, one would try even harder to ensure their affairs were in order so that they were not put in such a position.

captain janks
    Participant

hey, i was only selling crack to try to feed my kids. and now i have to go to jail!?! wtf is up with that?

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

captain janks wrote hey, i was only selling crack to try to feed my kids. and now i have to go to jail!?! wtf is up with that?

You should have just fed the kids the crack. Voila! Problem solved. Duh…

Motorist
    Participant

captain janks wrote ” a motorist has no reasonable expectation of privacy in the information contained on his license plate under the Fourth Amendment…The very purpose of a license plate number, like that of a Vehicle Identification Number, is to provide identifying information to law enforcement officials and others.”

I’m getting pretty tired of the man trying to keep me down!

captain janks
    Participant

me too. i suggest that we burn things to express our displeasure.

captain janks
    Participant

osulew wrote

captain janks wrote hey, i was only selling crack to try to feed my kids. and now i have to go to jail!?! wtf is up with that?

yeah right. they are hyper enough as it is. they dont need any uppers.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

captain janks wrote

osulew wrote

yeah right. they are hyper enough as it is. they dont need any uppers.

But I hear that crack makes you not hungry. So then you don’t have to feed them. Now you just have to figure out how to calm them down…

LauraA

i have always paid my tickets but a friend of mine had an unpaid speeding ticket and she was notified that her license was going to be suspended. so your friend probably had fair warning.

Bonnie Dodds
    Bonnie Dodds
    Participant

It is sad that she has to be away from her children, but there are hundreds of women in the Marysville womens prison that are away from their kids for years… plain & simple, if she would’ve been responsible, she would be with her kids.

I have had tickets that I couldn’t pay for in the past. I went to court, explained my situation, i.e. that I didn’t have the money but would be willing to make payments, and things were fine. As a result of my getting a seriously expensive speeding ticket, it made me slow down & be more aware of how I was driving because I knew I couldn’t afford another one.

I mean, you would have to have a crapload of tickets to have your license suspended. And then to drive when you have a suspended license? Yeesh! Lack of a train is no excuse. Thousands of people ride the bus each & every day.

As much as you seem to like this girl & want to believe the best in her, there are two sides to every story. And if there is one thing i’ve learned, it’s that people will surprise you….

Matthew
    Participant

A few years ago after CCAD completed the building at Long and Cleveland there were unmetered parking spaces left open. So naturally everyone fought for those spots. One day at noon a city crew installed new no parking signs. Once the last sign went up a cop conveniently arrived and starting putting parking tickets on the cars most of which were parked prior to the signs being installed. That and the number of broken meters all over the city especially on the cheaper 12 hour limit meters has made a believer out of me that Columbus runs a racket on parking fines.

HeySquare
    Participant

I would really like to see metered parking eliminated on weekends downtown. That fact alone would instantly encourage redevelopment.

I got a ticket on a Saturday morning at 9 AM while working out at the gym. And what really burns me is that I ACTUALLY PUT MONEY IN THE METER. I was about 5 minutes late.

I was the only car parked on the street.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

HeySquare wrote I would really like to see metered parking eliminated on weekends downtown. That fact alone would instantly encourage redevelopment.

+1.

I think it could be a boon to the handful of neighborhood businesses who are open downtown on weekends. There’s no reason you should be popping quarters in meters to go to Zettler Hardware on a Saturday.

Who do we need to lobby at City Council to look into this? :D

Ndcent

MatthewJR30 wrote A few years ago after CCAD completed the building at Long and Cleveland there were unmetered parking spaces left open. So naturally everyone fought for those spots. One day at noon a city crew installed new no parking signs. Once the last sign went up a cop conveniently arrived and starting putting parking tickets on the cars most of which were parked prior to the signs being installed. That and the number of broken meters all over the city especially on the cheaper 12 hour limit meters has made a believer out of me that Columbus runs a racket on parking fines.

I was out of town when the permit only signs went up on my street. I came home to find a ticket on my truck, went to the parking bureau with my situation, and they dropped the fine. That’s some racket alright.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 152 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: