Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking Tickets

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Parking Tickets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 152 total)
  • Author

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

I’ve never gotten a parking ticket before my meter’s time was up, but more than once I’ve walked back to my car and seen the meter lady/lad already writing up my ticket when I had time remaining. Both times they got some version of:

“Uh, excuse me, but could you move? I need to get into that car you’re about to ticket and drive off.”

Trixie
    Participant

Walker said:
    Was it the same meter both times? I had that happen to me once, but called the hotline and left a VM saying that the meter was defective and they dropped the ticket. Was on Long Street, and hopefully that meter was fixed.

Nope, two different meters. I guess shame on me for not doing that but it’s not like the meter was acting strange when I was putting money in… ugghh. It burns me to give the City of Columbus 50 bucks for defective meters.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Trixie said:
    Nope, two different meters. I guess shame on me for not doing that but it’s not like the meter was acting strange when I was putting money in… ugghh. It burns me to give the City of Columbus 50 bucks for defective meters.

Oh, no, I wasn’t trying to shame you for anything. It’s not something you (or anyone) should be expected to have to do.

Trixie
    Participant

Walker said:
    Oh, no, I wasn’t trying to shame you for anything. It’s not something you (or anyone) should be expected to have to do.

Didn’t take it that way… : )

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I hate parking tickets with a vengeance. I am very careful about checking signs and feeding meters, but sometimes I make a mistake. There are some areas that are more vigilant about enforcing violations than others. I have been ticketed a few times in the Arena District. Right or wrong, I avoid that area now. If I have to go there, I park in a garage. But I will not take my business to the Arena District unless I do not have a choice. There are plenty of places (like Easton or Polaris) that don’t limit parking as much. They want my business more than the Arena District does.

Trixie
    Participant

I love downtown and the Short North. I’m not going to punish those businesses because of parking meters but I will harass the city about this issue. I love Easton. I refuse to go to Polaris and most of the suburbs. I have to accept that I live in a city and I also have to accept that stupid shit comes with it sometimes.

myliftkk
    Participant

After watching this, I’m thinking our parking department might want to up their enforcement game.
    http://youtu.be/V-fWN0FmcIU

CooperGuy

myliftkk said:
    After watching this, I’m thinking our parking department might want to up their enforcement game.
    http://youtu.be/V-fWN0FmcIU

Great strategy indeed – and at the end notice the very empty downtown as the victorious mayor buzzes away on his scooter.

myliftkk
    Participant

CooperGuy said:
    Great strategy indeed – and at the end notice the very empty downtown as the victorious mayor buzzes away on his scooter.

I’m pretty sure when you’re filming a tank crushing a car on your city’s street, you don’t keep the streets open and do it at the height of rush hour.

Remember, these people have been through revolutions/invasions before, so I imagine not triggering flashbacks is probably a good idea.

Tenzo
    Participant

bldng4jstc
    Participant

Upon visiting Zettler Hardware on Main & 3rd this morning, I parked by motorcycle out front so I could run in and out to check bolt/nut sizes I needed. I must have went in and out 10 times in 10 minutes, but somehow missed the parking enforcement officer. Not saying I didn’t deserve an expired meter ticket, just saying it wouldn’t have hurt them to yell in the door at Zettlers to check. I mean tools were laying around and it was obviously my motorbike was taken apart. I would have happily ran out and fed the meter. I’m all for enforcement, but Main St. is empty nearly all hours of the day. Add me to the list of people wanting more courtesy out of the parking people.

Meanwhile in Urbana, IL, a buddy of mine forgot he left his car at a meter after the weekend. Meter was on all day and:
    [/url]
    252178_10100877386736865_12431813_65772243_6809338_n[/url]

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

bldng4jstc said:
    Not saying I didn’t deserve an expired meter ticket, just saying it wouldn’t have hurt them to yell in the door at Zettlers to check . . . Add me to the list of people wanting more courtesy out of the parking people.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. yeah, good luck with that . . .

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Don’t see how it’s enforcement’s job to check and see if someone is in a building. Do whatever one else does: feed the meter and set a reminder on your phone before it expires.

bldng4jstc
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    Don’t see how it’s enforcement’s job to check and see if someone is in a building. Do whatever one else does: feed the meter and set a reminder on your phone before it expires.

Don’t get me wrong, I never said it was there job. My response is fueled by my feeling that Main St. shouldn’t have meters period (as of this moment) and the city government should be happy anyone is utilizing businesses in the area. Again I deserved the ticked, but it would have gone a long way for the area if enforcement wasn’t so sharky where parking is not a premium.

kessler
    Participant

Main st would probably be filled with cars without the meters. You have the courthouse and a number of office workers who would park there if it were free.

As someone who will park (when I drive to work) in German village/Victoran Village or Arena District. And walk to work, I notice that I’m one of the many that do this with my walking or riding buddies I see each morning.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 152 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE