Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking Meters Out

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Parking Meters Out

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 177 total)
  • Author

labi
    Participant

Valerie C. wrote >>
    We couldn’t get 2 different meters to accept cc payment in the Short North last week. They still took coins, but it’s annoying because it was freezing and we thought we were doing something wrong. The buttons to increase the time wouldn’t work.

Last night on High St just north of 4th, the cc reader meter wouldn’t let me add more than the baseline 20 minutes to the meter (neither the add nor the reduce buttons would work). I was running late for a 1-hour meeting and had to insert card, wait (wait wait) for approval of 20 minutes, insert card again, wait for approval of 20 more minutes, etc etc etc.

It wasn’t particularly cold or particularly wet or…

Under what conditions were they thinking these things would function correctly?

econJoe
    Participant

So have you used any of your clout to get the city Parking and Violations Bureau to put a moratorium on ticket writing until the glitches are resolved? If one person has to contest a ticket on account of meter errors every once in a while, that is life. When everyone I know who goes downtown has had the same experience, it’s something to make some noise about.

Walker wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    Let’s not focus on personalities and fake-Internet-fights.

Agreed.
    It’s a pet peeve of mine when people say “The City” is at fault for something when they have someone more specific they can blame. It’s almost as generic as blaming “The Man” for your problems. That’s all there was to my comment earlier.
    At the end of the day, there is a SERIOUS problem with parking meter enforcement, and it need addressed from all levels. Otherwise, it’s a black eye across the board for “The Entire City”.

cbus11

I had a similar issue with these parking meters not taking CC correctly. The Parking Violations Bureau denied my appeal saying the meter was working correctly. Not worth the effort, I guess it is back to carrying quarters for me.

econJoe
    Participant

I am the last person in the world who wants to accommodate drivers like they’re gods, but the city is sacrificing future revenues by being so greedy now. People are going to shift to private lots or not go downtown at all when they worry that a parking ticket is inevitable.

cbus11 wrote >>
    I had a similar issue with these parking meters not taking CC correctly. The City denied my appeal saying the meter was working correctly. Not worth the effort, I guess it is back to carrying quarters for me.

groundrules
    Participant

call six on your side.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

econJoe wrote >>
    So have you used any of your clout to get the city Parking and Violations Bureau to put a moratorium on ticket writing until the glitches are resolved?

I have zero clout with that department.

jennyw
    Participant

Valerie C. wrote >>
    We couldn’t get 2 different meters to accept cc payment in the Short North last week. They still took coins, but it’s annoying because it was freezing and we thought we were doing something wrong. The buttons to increase the time wouldn’t work.

Yup, my husband and I had the exact same thing happen to us on Saturday, Jan. 15 while trying to park in the SN. I looked on the meter to see if it had a phone number for the parking violations dept. (when I’ve faced this prob in other cities, I’ve called in right then and there to make sure I wouldn’t have to worry about a ticket.), but as far as I could tell, it was only marked with a serial number. Aggravating.

jackoh
    Participant

Where is Cool Hand Luke when we need him?

Cookie

jackoh wrote >>
    Where is Cool Hand Luke when we need him?

Dead.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

if only statins had been around in the 1960s…

Rockmastermike
    Participant

JimL2 wrote >>
    if only statins had been around in the 1960s…

if you’re eating eggs 50 at a time it’s gonna take one hell of a statin

Andrew Hall

I wonder if some of the problems are related to how odd the buttons are. Just a couple minutes ago, I thought I had a broken meter. I realized the buttons are not buttons, but sensitive divots. My index finger tip had to go into it and not just press. I suspect it will not work with a glove on.

If this is the case, maybe not the best choice in design. Every other place I have used them have been pressure sensitive true buttons.

A.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

econJoe wrote >>
    So have you used any of your clout to get the city Parking and Violations Bureau to put a moratorium on ticket writing until the glitches are resolved? If one person has to contest a ticket on account of meter errors every once in a while, that is life. When everyone I know who goes downtown has had the same experience, it’s something to make some noise about.

Walker wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>

Agreed.
    It’s a pet peeve of mine when people say “The City” is at fault for something when they have someone more specific they can blame. It’s almost as generic as blaming “The Man” for your problems. That’s all there was to my comment earlier.
    At the end of the day, there is a SERIOUS problem with parking meter enforcement, and it need addressed from all levels. Otherwise, it’s a black eye across the board for “The Entire City”.

Since the department is run by an appointed official rather than an elected official, the public’s voice isn’t regarded. If City Council members would create legislation that allows them oversight to this department, there would be seven electeds accountable to their constituents to make this right.

joev
    Participant

lizless wrote >>

econJoe wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>

Agreed.

Since the department is run by an appointed official rather than an elected official, the public’s voice isn’t regarded. If City Council members would create legislation that allows them oversight to this department, there would be seven electeds accountable to their constituents to make this right.

Doesn’t the mayor appoint the director?

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Yes, the director is appointed by the mayor.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 177 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: