Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking Meters Out

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Parking Meters Out

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 177 total)
  • Author

Cardiff

I’m sure once I get a broken one my shiny happy attitude about the meters will change, but I like that they let you know when you have paid enough to take you to the end of the enforced time, usually 10pm. I used to constantly overpay without realizing, as the old meters let you pay even when you don’t need to.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rustbelt wrote >>
    Am I right in guessing the burden of proof the meter was actually broken is on the driver, not the city?

Sounds like it.

rustbelt wrote >>
    I can’t see them merely taking the driver’s word for it.

I’ve gotten two tickets while parked at broken meters in the past, called to dispute and had both of them dropped without much additional hassle.

Andrew Hall

Walker wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>
    Way to go, City of Columbus!

The whole “City” isn’t responsible for parking meters. It’s the Department of Public Service – Parking Violations Bureau:
    http://publicservice.columbus.gov/parking/

You really are angling to run for public office, aren’t you?

That is a bullshit, cop-out response and you are smart enough to know it. When someone has a bad experience getting a ticket for no reason, I am sure they decide to never visit the ‘Department of Public Service – Parking Violations Bureau’ again and no other places are affected.

Leadership and *accountability* starts at the top and the top is what needs their collective balls (and eggs) roasted to start doing something. The excuse-making and apolegetics you’ve grown so fond of don’t cut it.

A.

SusanB
    Participant

I would love it if Walker would run for a City Council seat. He has my vote for sure.

Andrew Hall

SusanB wrote >>
    I would love it if Walker would run for a City Council seat. He has my vote for sure.

Mine as well. Unless he becomes like all the rest.

A.

Bear
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    That is a bullshit, cop-out response and you are smart enough to know it. When someone has a bad experience getting a ticket for no reason, I am sure they decide to never visit the ‘Department of Public Service – Parking Violations Bureau’ again and no other places are affected.
    Leadership and *accountability* starts at the top and the top is what needs their collective balls (and eggs) roasted to start doing something. The excuse-making and apolegetics you’ve grown so fond of don’t cut it.
    A.

Are we talking about the meters not accepting coins/cards today and the PVB calling meter readers to tell them not to issue tickets? Or about the “already hit print” / daily occurrences on Gay St.? It sounds like there are two separate issues, today’s maybe stemming from a technical glitch of some sort. I tried working a meter myself this morning, and it was dead as a doornail. The meter readers who came by didn’t write a ticket, but instead reset it to holiday mode.

gramarye
    Participant

rustbelt wrote >>
    I’ve spoken to Public Service and our policy is that broken meters are free meters. So if someone received a ticket it was either for another infraction or it was in error in which case the person would be entitled to a refund.
    Am I right in guessing the burden of proof the meter was actually broken is on the driver, not the city?

Actually, it happens more often than you might think in micro-dollar cases. After all, it’s a civil matter, so the standard of proof is “preponderance of the evidence,” not “beyond a reasonable doubt.” In other words, you basically just need more/better evidence than the other guy’s got. Your word is often good enough for that–particularly if it’s uncontroverted, i.e., if no one else is going on the record saying that the meter *was* working and/or the time *had* expired.

Antonio

I don’t think you get it, I would have to take time off from my job, drive down, go through a hearing, present the evidence in hopes of having the ticket dismissed.

My cost 300 bucks hassle versus paying the scam fine.

gramarye wrote >>

rustbelt wrote >>
    I’ve spoken to Public Service and our policy is that broken meters are free meters. So if someone received a ticket it was either for another infraction or it was in error in which case the person would be entitled to a refund.

Actually, it happens more often than you might think in micro-dollar cases. After all, it’s a civil matter, so the standard of proof is “preponderance of the evidence,” not “beyond a reasonable doubt.” In other words, you basically just need more/better evidence than the other guy’s got. Your word is often good enough for that–particularly if it’s uncontroverted, i.e., if no one else is going on the record saying that the meter *was* working and/or the time *had* expired.

anillo
    Participant

Well, do you have to drive downtown or not? I’ve never disputed tickets myself, but from what Walker mentioned a few posts ago, it sounds like he just had to call the city and they voided the ticket over the phone.

cc

Probably Walker is on the city’s ‘don’t mess with list’. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    Stuff.

Sheesh. Having a bad day?

I was simply pointing out to Snarf the Dept in charge of parking issues.

Anything else you got out of that, you read in to it. Get off my back with your problems, and keep your words out of my mouth. Or at the very least, you could be a friend and send me an email if you have any concerns about what you think I’m thinking. You’re always way too quick to scream accusations and sling mud publicly and it gets pretty tiring, man. Perhaps you should be the one running for public office.

Have a good weekend.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

anillo wrote >>
    Well, do you have to drive downtown or not? I’ve never disputed tickets myself, but from what Walker mentioned a few posts ago, it sounds like he just had to call the city and they voided the ticket over the phone.

Last time it happened I called after hours and left a VM. A few days later they sent a mailed letter saying the ticket was dropped. Sort of an antiquated way to do it, but yeah… there ya go.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

lizless wrote >>
    They do a fabulous job keeping people away from downtown.

Yes. Yes the do. Sad but true.

Paul
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>
    Way to go, City of Columbus!

The whole “City” isn’t responsible for parking meters. It’s the Department of Public Service – Parking Violations Bureau:
    http://publicservice.columbus.gov/parking/

You really are angling to run for public office, aren’t you?
    A.

Walker wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    Stuff.

Sheesh. Having a bad day?
    I was simply pointing out to Snarf the Dept in charge of parking issues.
    Anything else you got out of that, you read in to it. Get off my back with your problems, and keep your words out of my mouth. Or at the very least, you could be a friend and send me an email if you have any concerns about what you think I’m thinking. You’re always way too quick to scream accusations and sling mud publicly and it gets pretty tiring, man. Perhaps you should be the one running for public office.
    Have a good weekend.

I hate to gang up on you here, Walker, but since you really came back on Andrew for this I have to chime in and agree with him.

You are the one who nitpicked and chose to play a ridiculous game of semantics in the first place. You really think it’s relevant to draw such a distinction between the “City of Columbus” and one of the individual departments of the city of Columbus?? That would be like if I punched someone in the face and they said, “Jeeze, Paul, what the heck did you do that for?” And you chime in and say, “Hurr Durr, well, erhmm, technically it was Paul’s hand that punched you.” The point is yes it’s my hand, but it’s part of my body and I control it.

groundrules
    Participant

Well paul, i really enjoyed your readers digest summation of this thread. But since we’re taking sides, I’m tag-teaming with walker. Our team has mexican wrestling masks and the ability to moderate IP addresses. Whatchoo got??

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 177 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: