Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking Meters Out

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Parking Meters Out

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 177 total)
  • Author

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Just saw a meter reader near Jury Room writing parking tickets. They’re out today.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Just saw a meter reader near Jury Room writing parking tickets. They’re out today.

Twixlen
    Participant

Snow emergency was lifted hours ago – if they are having a malfunction of new equipment, and are knowingly writing tickets in spite of it – that’s just shitty. And sadly, not surprising.

budser1228
    Participant

I parked on Gay for lunch on Wednesday and emailed the City’s 311 people that the meter I was using wasn’t working with coins – giving them the meter number and the cross streets Gay and Pearl – other ones around it were working at the time.

I didn’t get a ticket and I did get a service request number to track it through the system. You are supposed to be able to track it through the system after 24 hours and I just checked and it’s either not in the system yet or they gave me a wrong number. I will check again next week.

stephabulous

I tried to use a meter in the short north a couple weeks ago (soon after the new meters were put in) I put change in it and it didn’t register at all and was still blinking like it was expired. I just had to run into bink davies and buy something quickly so I chanced it and (thankfully) didn’t get a ticket. That is ridiculous that they still write tickets when they know there’s an issue…I wonder if they instruct them to do it to get extra money because there will be some people who don’t want to go through the hassle of disputing a ticket. It’s shady that’s for sure.

misskitty
    Participant

I just checked my meter on Gay and they all say they have 2 hours and 20 mins left on them. So I guess that means they are back on now.

nexttuesday
    Participant

Yeah, when I just went out they all had about 2 hours on them. The credit card reader also worked so I could add more time.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Mr Bubbles614 wrote >>
    I received a ticket with one minute left on the meter. The meter maid was walking away and shouted “Hey! I still have a minute left on this meter!” She responded by saying, “Sorry, already hit print”. Made me feel like Oprah when here movie “Beloved” flopped

I guess that is when you get the voice or video recorder on your cell phone running and go through that sequence again with the ticket writer. Or take pictures of the meter and the ticket (with time still on the meter). Take that one to court. If the ticket writer shows up you get to see if they want to commit perjury.

hivner1

No backlight makes it hard to read if it’s pitch black also

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Snarf wrote >>
    Way to go, City of Columbus!

The whole “City” isn’t responsible for parking meters. It’s the Department of Public Service – Parking Violations Bureau:

http://publicservice.columbus.gov/parking/

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Way to go, Department of Public Service – Parking Violations Bureau!

anillo
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    Way to go, Department of Public Service – Parking Violations Bureau!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Response from the Mayor’s Office:

I’ve spoken to Public Service and our policy is that broken meters are free meters. So if someone received a ticket it was either for another infraction or it was in error in which case the person would be entitled to a refund.

Antonio

That’s why I rarely go downtown, scam masters.

Detroit used to operate a pretty good parking scam trying to raise revenues. City workers would go out to suburban Hotels and video tape cars and their plates, then write up tickets and mail them to the owners demanding money.

Didn’t go over to well, they jacked with a congressional staffer unknowingly. I wonder if they are out of prison yet ?

Twixlen wrote >>
    Snow emergency was lifted hours ago – if they are having a malfunction of new equipment, and are knowingly writing tickets in spite of it – that’s just shitty. And sadly, not surprising.

rustbelt
    Participant

I’ve spoken to Public Service and our policy is that broken meters are free meters. So if someone received a ticket it was either for another infraction or it was in error in which case the person would be entitled to a refund.

Am I right in guessing the burden of proof the meter was actually broken is on the driver, not the city?

I can’t see them merely taking the driver’s word for it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 177 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE