Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking Meters Out

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Parking Meters Out

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 166 through 177 (of 177 total)
  • Author

lifeliberty
    Participant

1. i didn’t know you would get ticketed for not paying the meter at easton. the mall gestapo can really boot your car?

2. I’m curious as to how much “and a portion of those proceeds” because that could just be used to make them look good and the customer a scrooge.

Andrew Hall

There are a lot of things to wonder about in that story. The two that leap out:

1) How many tickets does that work out to be? If it is normal meters, 20+ parking tickets!

2) Or, perhaps it is not normal meters. Her alleged comment about being threatened about ‘federal regulations’ leads me to strongly suspect that she was parking at handicapped meters.

Like with all other stories that come out in the media, one should be skeptical. This story did not have a virgin birth but was implanted by the aggrieved party. That doesn’t mean it is invalid, but skepticism is warranted.

A.

RandomVisitor
    Participant

honavery wrote >>
    Anytime I go to Easton I can’t believe anyone even bothers to park at the meters…with all the free lots and huge (free) garages. There are comments on that story complaining about the lack of free parking at Easton. Seriously.

The free lots work well for most of us, but once or twice a year I take my mother to Easton. It is nice to park closer in the metered spots on those days.

cc

I think Easton’s reply made a lot of sense. They are using paid meters to encourage turnover at choice spots. They said they don’t ‘ban people for life’ for parking infractions*. Clearly there were a lot of tickets by this woman. I wonder what would happen to her if she tried to shop in the SN or Downtown? That would really teach her a lesson ;)

*though I can see an overzealous rent a cop saying something like that.

short pants

I didn’t read the whole thread but
    I just wanted to say
    I’ve parked at the new cc meters 3 times, 2 times I had issues w/ the meter not letting me increase the time, forcing me to reinsert my card several times to get the amount of time I needed, which was a huge hassle b/c of the amount of time it takes to authorize each $.40 transaction…. :banghead:

Static-X

Just another case of someone who thinks they’re above the law and that they don’t need to abide by the rules. She used the excuse that she was just going in to get change for the meter. I would think that a responsible patron who visits Easton almost daily would know to have change on their person for the meters. Especially someone who has parked at those meters many times before. Just another typical case of someone who gets popped for being blatantly irresponsible and putting the blame on others. Maybe I’ll have enough clout when I get my first Mercedes.

Walker wrote >>
    Could be worse I guess…
    Gahanna Woman Claims Verbal Assault By Easton Security, Banned For Life

By CANDICE LEE
    Published: February 01, 2011
    A quick stop at Easton for dinner found one Central Ohio woman in the crosshairs of Easton security. It was January 21st. Alison ordered food from an Easton restaurant. She left her car to get change and when she returned Easton security officers surrounded her car.
    “They told me I had unpaid parking tickets and if I didn’t pay them now they were going to boot my car,” recalls Alison.
    Afraid, Alison called her husband who described the confrontation between his wife and the officers as scary.

READ MORE: http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/feb/01/3/gahanna-woman-claims-verbal-assault-by-easton-secu-ar-383264/

Cardiff

Anyone else think it’s strange that when she called her husband in the middle of the “confrontation” her attorney was also on the call? I guess that’s smart, but who does that?

futureman
    Participant

So I actually had a positive experience with the parking enforcement agents in the short north. After getting back from dinner last night I noticed my girlfriends glove on the windshield wiper, so it must have fell out when she got out the the car and the parking enforcement agent found it when they were checking the meter and put it on my wiper blade. When I picked it up, it also had her driod smartphone inside! The phone must have fallen out to when she got out of the car as well. I can’t know for certain if it was the parking enforcement agent or not, but given the low temperatures last night I can’t imagine a lot of people were out walking.

However, the new meters for whatever reason cut off my time at 2 hrs 12 minutes on a 3 hour meter. Even using change wouldn’t allow me to go over 2 hrs 12 minutes (end time would have been before 10pm).

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Static-X wrote >>
    Just another case of someone who thinks they’re above the law and that they don’t need to abide by the rules. She used the excuse that she was just going in to get change for the meter. I would think that a responsible patron who visits Easton almost daily would know to have change on their person for the meters. Especially someone who has parked at those meters many times before. Just another typical case of someone who gets popped for being blatantly irresponsible and putting the blame on others. Maybe I’ll have enough clout when I get my first Mercedes.

Walker wrote >>
    Could be worse I guess…
    Gahanna Woman Claims Verbal Assault By Easton Security, Banned For Life

By CANDICE LEE
    Published: February 01, 2011
    A quick stop at Easton for dinner found one Central Ohio woman in the crosshairs of Easton security. It was January 21st. Alison ordered food from an Easton restaurant. She left her car to get change and when she returned Easton security officers surrounded her car.
    “They told me I had unpaid parking tickets and if I didn’t pay them now they were going to boot my car,” recalls Alison.
    Afraid, Alison called her husband who described the confrontation between his wife and the officers as scary.

READ MORE: http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/feb/01/3/gahanna-woman-claims-verbal-assault-by-easton-secu-ar-383264/

Now these comments I will agree with. It sounds like this woman has a serious case of stupid bitch disease.

Twixlen
    Participant

^^^
    I don’t get it. Sure, she should have gotten a ticket, and sucked it up like the rest of the poor schlubs who get them, but they were threatening to boot her car for non-existant unpaid tickets. I’m not sure why she wouldn’t just whip out a pile of cash to pay them on the spot, even though she didn’t own any money – silly her.

I agree there is likely a lot more to the story, and it’s super strange that their lawyer was involved from Thing 1, but that doesn’t mean she should pay money she didn’t owe, or have her car towed.

And, according to that article, the Easton Security folks don’t even have authorization to ban people from the premises, so there’s that as well.

Liner Notes
    Liner Notes
    Participant

Let’s be clear about Easton’s parking “tickets”. Even though they state in bold letters “THIS IS A REAL TICKET”, they are not enforced by Columbus City Code. As their spokesperson states in the article, Easton is private property and has “procedures and policies” in place regarding the use of their facilities. Any so called ticket they issue is strictly at their discretion.

When I worked at Easton a couple of years ago, a few of my coworkers would routinely receive a “ticket” for parking in visitor designated areas. (It’s actually in lease agreements that employees park in specific garages.) Sure, they were in violation of the policies, but so was I. I drove my 1979 station wagon to work daily and not once got a ticket. My coworkers drove your run of the mill hondas and minivans. So, even though I had the most recognizable vehicle in the lot, they were the ones getting tickets day in and day out. Seems like selective enforcement to me. After their fifth ticket(or third depending on which security officer was working at the time), they would get a warning regarding possible immobilization of the vehicle. The boot inevitably arrived and a visit to the security office with a large payment got it removed.

Sure, “a portion of those proceeds are given to charities”. But some working parents don’t have discretionary funds to donate through these strong-arm tactics. And yes, one could argue that my coworkers knowingly parked illegally. They did. But with Easton’s mandatory late hours of operation, it can be a long cold walk in the dark to that far off parking garage. So I don’t blame them for what they did. I blame Easton for the selective enforcement of their policies, just to squeeze out what’s left of someone’s paycheck in the name of charity.

I’ll end with a highly potent debatable statement. In my opinion Easton’s “parking tickets” are fraudulent and their enforcement constitutes extortion. Too bad I have to park there to shop at Trader Joe’s.

pez
    Participant

Liner Notes wrote >>
    The boot inevitably arrived and a visit to the security office with a large payment got it removed.

Knowledge is power, try this first:
    How to Remove a Parking Boot

Viewing 12 posts - 166 through 177 (of 177 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE