Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking Meters Out

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Parking Meters Out

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 177 total)
  • Author

Tenzo
    Participant

In Chicago:

The METRO Pay and Display Parking Meter is a self-service ticketing machine used to control parking space availability in a variety of car parking environments. These smart parking meters provide a vast selection of user-friendly features such as remote programming of tariff parking fees and display messages and a choice of secure on-line payment methods for the parking motorist.

Car Park Operators are able to have their parking meter fleet reprogrammed in the bat of an eyelid without any need to visit the meters. This means that tariff parking fees and customer display messages can be readily changed as required.

berdawn

these look similar to the ones at OSU. they’re pretty cool.

Tenzo
    Participant

They also allow adjusted rates.
    So you can have one rate during shopping hours and a different rate for dining or weekend hours.

Anyone know why Columbus went with the ones they did?

Andrew Hall

Tenzo wrote

Because the relevant departments and the City leadership don’t look at street parking as resource to be stewarded to the maximum benefit all parties.

A.

Tenzo
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>

Tenzo wrote

Because the relevant departments and the City leadership don’t look at street parking as resource to be stewarded to the maximum benefit all parties.
    A.

If this were Chicago, Philly or New York; I’d know someone in the department just had a large contribution.

That it happened because of incompetence, somehow feels worse.

JonMyers
    Participant

Yeah, the economics of installing and maintaining one machine on a block versus 25 seems obvious.

honavery

Didn’t they test the common boxes in the Short North? I seem to remember they did and people didn’t like them for whatever reason. I know when they were testing the new meters they’re installing everywhere now I had problems adding time that people are talking about now. (buttons not working)

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>
    They also allow adjusted rates.
    So you can have one rate during shopping hours and a different rate for dining or weekend hours.

The department selected the meters but Council approved the purchase of them. I believe that Randy Bowman from the department selected the exact model, he had versions of the different meter heads available for us to view at the Parking Meter Advisory Group meetings and presented them to us.

It was requested by the small business community during these meetings that we go with the versions like the ones used in Chicago and that we devote more time to exploring options of meters that would look best and be most efficient downtown. John Angelo of SNBA had some wonderful ideas from other cities but his ideas were immediately shot down by the department.

The main focus of the group though, was remedying the 50% unilateral price increase that at the time the City insisted was necessary so much of the actual meter design discussion was lost in the process.

gramarye
    Participant

Roland wrote >>

Tenzo wrote >>
    I have to say, these new meters are going up at an amazing rate. I never see them being installed but I see 100’s of new ones every day.
    It’s a shame that there seems to be a flaw in all the new meters going up. Putting in all new meters does not seem to make sense anyway.
    It’s not like the new meters are nice. To me they are a fricken eye sore. Before the meters blended in with the streets so you didn’t really see them. Now the meters are like someone put shiny tin foil on each one. I think Columbus should have done what cities do by putting in placing a common box on every block. Less eyesore, more natural and and less parts that can break and not work right. Plus if one breaks, you use another.
    (Sorry for the interruption, feel free to go back to the sniping)

I completely agree. I was surprised that Columbus went with this option.

Same here. I found the new ones in the Short North (at least, they were to me–sadly, I don’t get to see the place as regularly as I’d like) to be a real distraction on the streetscape. With the blinking red eyes, they now look like dalek tadpoles, too.

Akron uses the single-machine system. I’m assuming it’s working fairly well so far, since they’ve stuck with it, though friends that I had down from Brecksville last night found them a little confusing to use. (They were also crestfallen when I told them–after they’d figured it out, paid, and come found me in the restaurant–that they were free on weekends.)

Tenzo
    Participant

Roland wrote >>

Tenzo wrote >>
    I have to say, these new meters are going up at an amazing rate. I never see them being installed but I see 100’s of new ones every day.
    It’s a shame that there seems to be a flaw in all the new meters going up. Putting in all new meters does not seem to make sense anyway.
    It’s not like the new meters are nice. To me they are a fricken eye sore. Before the meters blended in with the streets so you didn’t really see them. Now the meters are like someone put shiny tin foil on each one. I think Columbus should have done what cities do by putting in placing a common box on every block. Less eyesore, more natural and and less parts that can break and not work right. Plus if one breaks, you use another.
    (Sorry for the interruption, feel free to go back to the sniping)

I completely agree. I was surprised that Columbus went with this option.

Obvious Reason is Obvious

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Could be worse I guess…

Gahanna Woman Claims Verbal Assault By Easton Security, Banned For Life

By CANDICE LEE
    Published: February 01, 2011

A quick stop at Easton for dinner found one Central Ohio woman in the crosshairs of Easton security. It was January 21st. Alison ordered food from an Easton restaurant. She left her car to get change and when she returned Easton security officers surrounded her car.

“They told me I had unpaid parking tickets and if I didn’t pay them now they were going to boot my car,” recalls Alison.

Afraid, Alison called her husband who described the confrontation between his wife and the officers as scary.

READ MORE: http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/feb/01/3/gahanna-woman-claims-verbal-assault-by-easton-secu-ar-383264/

berdawn

OTOH, the meters at Easton help support great community programs.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yes, they do.

I just wonder how many people realize that they’re on private property and are subject to things like “lifetime bans” for not paying the fines.

Twixlen
    Participant

What’s interesting, is that in the story, they say she had paid her fines? So…. it woiuld seem that perhaps there was some sort of shake-down tactic going on there.

Doofus + uniform resembling a cop /= cop…. See also, mall police.

honavery

Anytime I go to Easton I can’t believe anyone even bothers to park at the meters…with all the free lots and huge (free) garages. There are comments on that story complaining about the lack of free parking at Easton. Seriously.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 177 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE