Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking Meters Out

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Parking Meters Out

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 177 total)
  • Author

nexttuesday
    Participant

This morning (Friday) the parking meters on Gay Street and Poplar, I assume along with others, are not working. These are the credit card meters. They simply say “no payment accepted” and when you insert a card it beeps and nothing happens.

I see a parking meter worker writing a ticket for a car just ahead of me, so I say to her, “These meters aren’t accepting payment.” And she tells me yes, they know, because people have been calling in, but “don’t worry about it.” Then she leaves. Well, you just wrote a ticket for a car at a meter that’s not working, and I’m parking at one, so I’m going to worry about it.

I called Parking and the woman said they’ve been calling the meter workers, but they will still write tickets even if the meters aren’t working “unless they have been called.” Which means we’re all going to get tickets and waste our time disputing them online.

What a shady policy. If you are the white jeep parked right next to 11, I saw her give you a ticket while your meter wasn’t working, and then tell me she knew it wasn’t working. This is why people hate meter ticket writers, not because it means they pay a fine, it’s because the city has underhanded policies and workers who don’t give a crap.

I received a ticket with one minute left on the meter. The meter maid was walking away and shouted “Hey! I still have a minute left on this meter!” She responded by saying, “Sorry, already hit print”. Made me feel like Oprah when here movie “Beloved” flopped

I received a ticket with one minute left on the meter. The meter maid was walking away and shouted “Hey! I still have a minute left on this meter!” She responded by saying, “Sorry, already hit print”. Made me feel like Oprah when here movie “Beloved” flopped

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m looking into this right now.

Thanks for post it. Anyone else having similar issues?

GRdotNet

The one I parked at on Lincoln on Wednesday night did something similar. It was my first encounter with a new meter so I already had change in hand so I wasn’t inconvenienced.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

It happens daily on Gay Street as well as the meters around North Market.

The parking meter attendants supposedly went to customer service training. I guess it didn’t stick.

They do a fabulous job keeping people away from downtown.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Mr Bubbles614 wrote >>

That’s fucked up!

rus
    rus
    Participant

When the meters aren’t taking credit cards do they still take coins?

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Valerie C.
    Participant

We couldn’t get 2 different meters to accept cc payment in the Short North last week. They still took coins, but it’s annoying because it was freezing and we thought we were doing something wrong. The buttons to increase the time wouldn’t work.

msolinger

Last night on Goodale, it took 4 or 5 tries for the meter to accept my card. Also, it would not allow me to put more than an hour on my meter no matter how many times I pushed the plus button to add time. In fact, it went up to 1 hour and started going backward even though I was trying to ADD time!

misskitty
    Participant

I parked on Gay this morning and It did not take my card. Someone at work mentioned that the meters are not on during snow emergencies but I don’t know if that’s true or not . If I get a ticket I will have say something but so far I have not got any yet.

In fact, it went up to 1 hour and started going backward even though I was trying to ADD time!

I can confirm that as well the ones on Gay do it. You get to one hour hit the up button and yay you are back at 20 mins.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Way to go, City of Columbus!

nexttuesday
    Participant

I would guess that it is because of snow emergency, but that the meter readers are still out there giving the tickets.

I didn’t try using change, but I don’t think I have enough around here anyway. At this point, I know I’m going to get a ticket anyway so I might as well leave it there all day.

cc

Are the meters free during a snow emergency? I am not positive but usually they want cars off the streets so they can plow. Could it be that you are not supposed to park there at the present time (ie no parking during the snow emergency)?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 177 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE