Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Lane - Mixed-Use Development - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Lane – Mixed-Use Development – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 214 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

New construction photos, here:

Construction Roundup: July 2013

Brent Warren
    Brent Warren
    Participant

Homewood Suites at Lane Ave opened last week.

Also, via email from Crawford Hoying;

“The Lane multi-use next door is moving right along. We continue to pre-lease, and the building is on track for an early November open.”

News
    Participant

News
    Participant

First Look: The Lane in Upper Arlington
    Published on November 1, 2013 8:00 am
    By: Walker

The first residents of The Lane Apartments are moving into completed units starting today, marking another milestone on this mixed-use project that also includes a Homewood Suites hotel, office space, retail and restaurant space, and a multi-story parking deck.

Check out the photos below for a first look inside the new residential units:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/first-look-the-lane-in-upper-arlington

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

surber17 said:
    Wow, I hope the current residents realize what a brilliant move it was putting in this development. It has such a great neighborhood feel while adding density to allow great restaurants and shops ….. just a very very desirable place to live.

Actually, from what I understand from friends living in the immediate area, that’s not the case at all. Apparently the hotel/apartments have so far caused nothing but headache and congestion. They are being permitted to run backup generators at late night and early morning hours that resonate through the whole block of homes around it and actually rattle windows. Despite complaints to the city and, per residents, the city stating that they have threatened the complex with fines for further noise infractions, they have failed to comply at this point. And although the area is walkable for immediate residents, folks in the area say that it has increased driving/parking traffic immensely…so much so that it is completely congested and fairly dangerous with increased traffic accidents. Don’t get me wrong, I think urbanizing suburban areas is pretty cool in general, but lots of people live in these areas because they DIDN’T want to be in that sort of environment. Just hope they can do something with Lane Ave and traffic safety and with the new complex’s noise issues so that everyone can be happy and this area can thrive.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Also…that renovated Whole Foods is titty sprinkles. :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

osulew said:
    They are being permitted to run backup generators at late night and early morning hours that resonate through the whole block of homes around it and actually rattle windows.

Is that a permanent thing, or just a construction thing?

jbcmh81
    Participant

osulew said:
    Actually, from what I understand from friends living in the immediate area, that’s not the case at all. Apparently the hotel/apartments have so far caused nothing but headache and congestion. They are being permitted to run backup generators at late night and early morning hours that resonate through the whole block of homes around it and actually rattle windows. Despite complaints to the city and, per residents, the city stating that they have threatened the complex with fines for further noise infractions, they have failed to comply at this point. And although the area is walkable for immediate residents, folks in the area say that it has increased driving/parking traffic immensely…so much so that it is completely congested and fairly dangerous with increased traffic accidents. Don’t get me wrong, I think urbanizing suburban areas is pretty cool in general, but lots of people live in these areas because they DIDN’T want to be in that sort of environment. Just hope they can do something with Lane Ave and traffic safety and with the new complex’s noise issues so that everyone can be happy and this area can thrive.

I can believe it about the noise, but not the traffic. Residents are just now moving in, so they’ve not been contributing to traffic. The hotel only has so many rooms, so what are we talking as far as total cars added once the entire project is done and filled? A few hundred, maybe? And that’s if everyone drives at the exact same time. Over the course of a day, that’s not significant enough to greatly alter traffic patterns in the area. I suspect some residents are looking for problems with a project they never wanted.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I’m not sure, Walker. I can ask friends to clarify. But the main complaint is that they’re running it at hours where the neighborhood has noise restrictions. For example, if she were to mow her lawn at that hour, she’d be subject to a fine.

And jbcmh81…the traffic/parking congestion is not the fault of just the hotel/apartment complex. And yes the apartments are just now filling, but the hotel has been open. The biggest issue, from what I understand, is that the shoppes at lane ave have always been there…but the tenants mix has never brought such a crowd in probably decades as it does now. Again, that it not necessarily the problem, but they see a lack of planning as far as expanded parking not being available and also Lane Ave. not handling the increased traffic well. And I live in OTE and have lived in various downtown neighborhoods for years, but I lived in the UA area for about 5 years prior to that during grad school so I’m pretty familiar with the evolution of that particular strip. I am in that area frequently now to hit up the Whole Foods and Half Price Books, and I can tell you, the traffic is MUCH DIFFERENT now.

It’s also of note that the friends I’m referencing work downtown and spend a lot of time dining/drinking/shopping downtown and love that environment, so these aren’t cranky, sheltered, strip-mall loving suburbanites I’m talking about. Although I’m sure there are plenty of those in the area. Again, I love what they’re doing over there, but from what I’ve seen, these are valid resident concerns.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

osulew said:
    I’m not sure, Walker. I can ask friends to clarify. But the main complaint is that they’re running it at hours where the neighborhood has noise restrictions. For example, if she were to mow her lawn at that hour, she’d be subject to a fine.

Having suffered through over a year of off-and-on third shift construction noise on 71, I can feel their pain. I was just curious if it’s going to be a long term thing, as our only personal comfort with the highway project is that we know it will eventually be done (in another 10 months or so).

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Walker said:
    Having suffered through over a year of off-and-on third shift construction noise on 71, I can feel their pain. I was just curious if it’s going to be a long term thing, as our only personal comfort with the highway project is that we know it will eventually be done (in another 10 months or so).

She referred to them as “back up generators,” so I’m not sure if that means generators for construction or the ones that would power up the hotel if it lost power? I think that it adds to the frustration that city officials agree that it’s an issue and have admitted that they’ve been asked to come into compliance multiple times but nothing has changed. But yeah…knowing that it was short term would definitely make it more livable.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

And, as a non resident of the area, my only real complaint is that Baja Fresh left. :) I miss those damn nachos.

Eugene_C
    Participant

osulew said:
    And, as a non resident of the area, my only real complaint is that Baja Fresh left. :) I miss those damn nachos.

OMG, I loved Baja Fresh! I cannot believe Wendy’s screwed that up. I could have told them they were picking the wrong locations, for one. One of the things i do for work is use computer mapping software to evaluate the economic potential of geographic areas. Still, the whole country was moving toward Latin-ized fast food and they somehow bungled a good opportunity. I have to think there’s a really good story there. I think it might make a great Masters thesis.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

osulew said:
    She referred to them as “back up generators,” so I’m not sure if that means generators for construction or the ones that would power up the hotel if it lost power?

My hope then is that it would be temporary during construction. Because backup generators shouldn’t be running (and making noise) unless they’re being used (during a power outage)… otherwise, they should just be sitting there quietly. ;)

columbusmike
    Participant

The hotel likely has a generator. They may be going thru normal testing/commissioning of the generator that requires them to run at a prolonged time to make sure things are operating correctly.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 214 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE