Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Lane - Mixed-Use Development - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Lane – Mixed-Use Development – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 214 total)
  • Author

groundrules
    Participant

Walker said:
    Mo money mo problems.

okay, that shit was pretty funny.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Huzzah! ;)

melikecheese
    Participant

Wow between this issue, and that whole, “whaaa I can’t find a place to park outside my 4 car driveway so I am against any new development”….Upper Arlington seems like a terrible place to live.

columbusmike
    Participant

melikecheese said:
    Wow between this issue, and that whole, “whaaa I can’t find a place to park outside my 4 car driveway so I am against any new development”….Upper Arlington seems like a terrible place to live.

I think it has to do more with age than anything. UA has an older population compared with many other inner burbs.

johnwirtz
    Participant

Walker said:
    I don’t think Upper Arlington has an “out”. ;)

No, but from a regional perspective, there’s always the grow somewhere else option.

swinzo1010
    Participant

The liquor issue passed with and 85% yes vote last night. Businesses will be able to serve in the Lane Avenue commercial corridor.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Good news!

surber17
    Participant

I’m happy to see this won by such a large number. Would have been one of the worst ideas ever.

columbusmike
    Participant

Good…but I’m shocked it’s even that low. Good news for making Lane Ave more dense and vibrant, and good for the community.

johnwirtz
    Participant

Good for the Columbus region to have another walkable urban place. More of these kinds of transformations are needed. The Bethel/Henderson corridor looks like a prime candidate to me.

wpcc88
    Participant

johnwirtz said:
    Good for the Columbus region to have another walkable urban place. More of these kinds of transformations are needed. The Bethel/Henderson corridor looks like a prime candidate to me.

that area is not setup for that kind of development.. it is one of the very few areas where strip malls are not empty but thriving because of the large number of students, grad students, recent graduates and young families.. so I would say let it be a little change in pace because if the Bridge Street corridor takes off it may not be as fortunate in the future

surber17
    Participant

wpcc88 said:
    that area is not setup for that kind of development.. it is one of the very few areas where strip malls are not empty but thriving because of the large number of students, grad students, recent graduates and young families.. so I would say let it be a little change in pace because if the Bridge Street corridor takes off it may not be as fortunate in the future

Those strip malls do well because there are a LARGE amount of people living in this area. There are a ton of 2-3 story developments so there is some decent density already in the area. The biggest problem is the area is car-centric. Its 40 mph on the street and 4-5 lanes wide. Making it more pedestrian friendly is the first step to encourage new development. That said, there is a new bike path that goes all the way down Henderson and gets you close to connecting to the 315 path ….. this was desperately needed.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

surber17 said:
    The biggest problem is the area is car-centric. Its 40 mph on the street and 4-5 lanes wide. Making it more pedestrian friendly is the first step to encourage new development.

Making those roads more pedestrian friendly isn’t going to change anything if residential, office and commercial developments are still largely separated from each other. The built environment is not mixed, so if you live a mile from your nearest grocery store, you’re still going to drive.

johnwirtz
    Participant

wpcc88 said:
    that area is not setup for that kind of development..

Exactly my point. That can be changed.

surber17 said:
    Making it more pedestrian friendly is the first step to encourage new development.

That and probably a form-based zoning code.

surber17
    Participant

Walker said:
    Making those roads more pedestrian friendly isn’t going to change anything if residential, office and commercial developments are still largely separated from each other. The built environment is not mixed, so if you live a mile from your nearest grocery store, you’re still going to drive.

I agree its not mixed and everything is spread out, but that said you dont’ even see people walking around the strip malls because its not setup for foot traffic at all. I live only a couple hundred yards away from a grocery but we drive because crossing Bethal is just too dangerous. There are areas now, that if you were to make it more pedestrian friendly, I could see them taking off pretty quickly. The other thing is the setback from the street. You’re looking at 200 yards there. So I think that goes to both of our points. It spreads things out and it doesn’t make it very pedestrian friendly. And yes I agree John, form based zoning would go a long way.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 214 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: