Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Short North Parking Garages - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Short North Parking Garages – News & Updates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

surber17 said:
    My guess is about 2 blocks, anything over that and people start complaining.

I think a good first step would be a large (500 space or so) parking garage in the middle of Short North.

If there’s only one big garage in the middle, it means that it would only serve the two blocks in either direction of it, if people aren’t willing to walk any further than that. A better solution would be multiple smaller garages along the strip.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Let’s face it, people, in general, are just too damn lazy to walk more than two blocks. It’s the American mentality and it’s sad. Europeans, and anybody not living in America for that matter, will walk a mile jsut to get a loaf of bread, but we sigh and have an inner doubt when we even have to get into a motorized vehicle with little physical exertion to get that same loaf of (processed) bread a mile away, that is, if you’re lucky enough to be a mile away.

@ Walker: Yes, multiple small garages is the key – one to the south (Pizzuti), one in the middle (“Ibiza”) and one to the north (5th and High would work)

Rockmastermike
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    @ Walker: Yes, multiple small garages is the key – one to the south (Pizzuti), one in the middle (“Ibiza”) and one to the north (5th and High would work)

Yes. I agree totally. With the minor caveat that too many garages would be just as uninviting as not enough if they start taking up too much of the sidewalk footprint. i.e. skinny but deep/tall garages are better than wide garages that take up a lot of space otherwise useful for storefronts/whatever.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Rockmastermike said:
    Yes. I agree totally. With the minor caveat that too many garages would be just as uninviting as not enough if they start taking up too much of the sidewalk footprint. i.e. skinny but deep/tall garages are better than wide garages that take up a lot of space otherwise useful for storefronts/whatever.

The best type of garage would be completely concealed from High Street with some sort of facade, and the ground floor of the garage can contain retail.

An example at the corner of 6th & Penn in Pittsburgh: http://g.co/maps/b6p7b

surber17
    Participant

Walker said:
    If there’s only one big garage in the middle, it means that it would only serve the two blocks in either direction of it, if people aren’t willing to walk any further than that. A better solution would be multiple smaller garages along the strip.

I agree, three is what I was originally thinking, but I thought a central one for a first step. Some other thoughts on why it might be good:

– First floor retail with a single pedestrian entrance/exit. There could be 2 businesses that face High Street that people will be funneled through.

– The single entrance would allow for increased security so people would feel safe to park

– one business could be a Short North Welcome Center providing information on Short North Businesses

– business 2 could be operated by Cota as a transit hub

With people funneling through both of those you could educate and help people at the same time.

leftovers

Does anyone have an estimate of what these would cost to build? I am guessing they would eventually pay for themselves.

wassan

I had the misfortune of going out to Easton to eat dinner at a certain fondue restaurant, parking was a complete nightmare – I was laughing because I thought of all the people who complain about parking in the SN…how is it different from Easton or any popular spot?

We don’t necessarily need more parking, we need people to get over the pat answer of “parking in the SN is so bad” as the reason they don’t come down here. Maybe we need to just work on more reasons for people to come out to the neighborhood.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Walker said:
    The best type of garage would be completely concealed from High Street with some sort of facade, and the ground floor of the garage can contain retail.

An example at the corner of 6th & Penn in Pittsburgh: http://g.co/maps/b6p7b

yep. There are many ways to cut down on the space and make them more cost efficient. e.g. http://www.automotionparking.com/

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

wassan said:
    I had the misfortune of going out to Easton to eat dinner at a certain fondue restaurant, parking was a complete nightmare – I was laughing because I thought of all the people who complain about parking in the SN…how is it different from Easton or any popular spot?

In my experience, parking at Easton on any given Friday or Saturday night is harder than parking in the Short North on any given Friday or Saturday night. Both are also much easier during the daytime hours on a weekday.

Between Black Friday and Christmas though, Easton parking will be a cluster almost every day of the week.

surber17
    Participant

wassan said:

We don’t necessarily need more parking, we need people to get over the pat answer of “parking in the SN is so bad” as the reason they don’t come down here. Maybe we need to just work on more reasons for people to come out to the neighborhood.

I really think people (esp. a lot of people in the suburbs) already want to come to Short North but they’re not around this area all the time like most of us are, so if parking isn’t easily found, they get frustrated and leave. What’s worse is they then go back and tell friends and family about their experiance. I think a well thought out parking garage would do the area a lot of good. There is no press like word of mouth so I think an overall goal would be to give people coming into Short North the best experiance possible.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    Between Black Friday and Christmas though, Easton parking will be a cluster almost every day of the week.

http://www.amazon.com/

Never a parking problem.

Pablo
    Participant

leftovers said:
    Does anyone have an estimate of what these would cost to build? I am guessing they would eventually pay for themselves.

Garages usually start at $20,000 per space. The cost goes up with added amenities, facade enhancements, etc. Surface parking lots run about $2,000 per space. Neither cost includes the cost of the land.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    http://www.amazon.com/

Never a parking problem.

Totally. We buy a *lot* of our stuff online. To the point where our son thinks that all toys come from “The Internet”. ;)

News
    Participant

Public Money Won’t Deliver Original Parking Promise In Short North
    Thursday May 9, 2013 5:07 PM
    By Paul Aker

COLUMBUS, Ohio – It was a City of Columbus plan that was supposed to relieve the frustrating dearth of parking in the Short North: use public money pooled from property taxes to fund a parking garage to create additional spaces.

But Watchdog 10 has learned that while developers are approved to receive up to nearly $25 million in Tax Increment Financing (TIF) money, the public will not get the “relief” originally promised.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/05/09/watchdog-10-short-north-parking.html?utm_source=feedly

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

I’ve seen better reporting in new geography. How about they actually examine an issue… Transit, Bikeshare, Walkability. This type of reporting is why I only listen to NPR.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE