Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Short North Parking Garages - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Short North Parking Garages – News & Updates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cheap said:
    i am saying the entire region won’t ever have a parking problem,so the entire region won’t care.

I’m sure that some people thought that The Short North would never have a parking problem 20 years ago.

The regional issues don’t just have to be about parking either. Congestion is already a growing concern in many of our suburban areas. Nowhere near as bad as other cities, but if growth continues around the outerbelt, it’s only a matter of time before an alternative is needed.

rus
    rus
    Participant

mbeaumont said:

We want density. We’re glad this is what we get, so that eventually there will be demand for an alternative.

Is that the reaction of most people? I.e. “I can’t find easy parking so I want a train”?

Not to say that doesn’t exist, but I see more of a “can’t park there, so don’t go there” vibe. Consideration of existing alternatives like COTA doesn’t even occur.

Completely unscientific / small sample set / anecdotes are not data / WAG, et. al.

Andrew Hall

nevermind

surber17
    Participant

Just food for thought, I’ve been in this situation countless times now with friends who live in the suburbs:

“Hey since we’re out, lets stop down in Short North”
    “I can’t find a parking spot even remotely close to where I want to go”
    “Ah, forget it, lets just head to ______”

I think a park-and-ride system might work but you still need 2-3 large strategically placed parking garages along High Street that are essentially connected to a nice bus stop or train stop

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

surber17 said:
    Just food for thought, I’ve been in this situation countless times now with friends who live in the suburbs:

“Ah, forget it, lets just head to Easton on a Friday night where we will spend just as much time looking for and walking from an open space.

I think a park-and-ride system might work but you still need 2-3 large strategically placed parking garages along High Street that are essentially connected to a nice bus stop or train stop

Fixed that for you.

rus
    rus
    Participant

surber17 said:

“Ah, forget it, lets just head to ______”

Same kinda thing I’ve seen.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

@suber17 what constitutes a parking spot “remotely close” to a destination? My biggest issue with Columbusites and their parking/mass transit woes is that I feel like everyone wants a bus stop outside their front door, or a parking space in front of the store. Not to say that people don’t have the right to take their business elsewhere with more parking options, just that I think that people need more realistic expectations of urban areas.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

mrsgeedeck said:
    @suber17 what constitutes a parking spot “remotely close” to a destination?… I think that people need more realistic expectations of urban areas.

+1

If the prevailing thinking is that walking a block to get somewhere is somehow a HUGE problem, it might be a contributing factor to why Ohio’s obesity rate is almost 27 percent. (stat cited from: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2008/08/20/OHHEAVY.ART_ART_08-20-08_A1_2KB34G8.html)

surber17
    Participant

My guess is about 2 blocks, anything over that and people start complaining. I think there just needs to be a transition period where alternative forms of transportation are phased in. Believe me, I’m 100% on the streetcar/light rail/Articulated bus plan, but I’ve realized after 5 years of pitching the idea to friends and coworkers that it can’t be a “lets just jump in” type thing. I think a good first step would be a large (500 space or so) parking garage in the middle of Short North. People could park and walk or park and ride (hopefully new Articulated buses). This would help solve two big issues – 1.) getting more money flowing into Short North businesses and promote the area 2.) start showing off alternative transportation choices to people who previously didn’t consider them

these are just initial thoughts and i’m sure there are a lot of issues with it so feel free to tear it apart

surber17
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    +1

If the prevailing thinking is that walking a block to get somewhere is somehow a HUGE problem, it might be a contributing factor to why Ohio’s obesity rate is almost 27 percent. (stat cited from: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2008/08/20/OHHEAVY.ART_ART_08-20-08_A1_2KB34G8.html)

Also, I want to say I 100% agree with this and its not a problem for me, I’m just thinking about how to change the mindset of people who completely rely on their car for everything.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

surber17 said:
    My guess is about 2 blocks, anything over that and people start complaining. I think there just needs to be a transition period where alternative forms of transportation are phased in. Believe me, I’m 100% on the streetcar/light rail/Articulated bus plan, but I’ve realized after 5 years of pitching the idea to friends and coworkers that it can’t be a “lets just jump in” type thing. I think a good first step would be a large (500 space or so) parking garage in the middle of Short North. People could park and walk or park and ride (hopefully new Articulated buses). This would help solve two big issues – 1.) getting more money flowing into Short North businesses and promote the area 2.) start showing off alternative transportation choices to people who previously didn’t consider them

I’ve been advocating for a parking structure and transit ‘circulator’ system, for a long time. It’s a good idea. It’s worked for other cities that have tried it. Denver even made their version of what our ‘short north’ is similar to car-free (but the transit is free of charge) and that area is hopping. It’s worked very well for them.

The thing is, people apparently won’t use even a central parking structure if they might have to actually walk a few blocks, so the transit is needed from the start. Also people won’t use the transit if they think they can just drive around and not find parking in the area served, so the parking is needed from the start. It’s an all or nothing thing really.

cbus11

I have never really had a major problem parking in the SN. Sometimes I will have to circle a block or walk a couple but have to agree that there is a mental block that needs to be overcome more than anything else.

ETA:
    There is also a ton of existing transit on High St. Maybe Cota can figure out a way to make a SN zone with less expensive fair for people going up and down the street. That may help the those adverse to walking a bit.

JonMyers
    Participant

cbus11 said:
    I have never really had a major problem parking in the SN. Sometimes I will have to circle a block or walk a couple but have to agree that there is a mental block that needs to be overcome more than anything else.

That and overcoming the fear of walking.

jcookou
    Participant

Moving slow, but there will “eventually” be a 9-story parking deck in the Short North:

[/url]https://www.columbusunderground.com/pizzuti-short-north-hotel-plans-presented-tonight

Mercurius
    Participant

I live in the Short North (with off street parking) — but I’ve been fortunate to either work downtown where I can ride a bicycle or work somewhere with a reverse commute with traffic relatively below capacity. However, even on my reverse commute, I occasionally hit a standstill on the clusterfuck known as I-270. (It’s mind-boggleing to me to think there are people pretty much sitting in a traffic jam all the way around our fair city.)

However, on the rare occasion I do find myself in the rat race to get to or fro downtown at the same time as everyone else; those times, sitting in the log jam, seem to be the strongest motivator to add light rail. (COTA buses are not immune to bad drivers or a reduction of lanes that seems to bring nearly every freeway to a crawl twice a day.)

My personal belief is that if we want urban development, we need to make it easy for people to stay in our urban areas — and that includes plentiful parking. Light rail isn’t going to happen from parking being at capacity but rather roads being at capacity.

Let’s build more parking garages in what are currently surface parking lots. Make sure that if they are on commercial corridors, they have first floor retail and appropriate aesthetics. Then once those additional cars leave the garage, they can watch the train whiz by as they sit in the quagmire cursing themselves for wasting so much of their time and money.

It’s true that great density (and the increasing property value associated with that) wiil limit the availability of parking and motivate alternative transportation. Columbus is a long time away from having that density — including in The Short North area.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE