Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Short North Parking Garages - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Short North Parking Garages – News & Updates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Neighbors, Business Owners Hope For Improved Parking In Short North

By: TOM BROCKMAN

Published: November 15, 2011

Neighbors and business owners in the Short North are fed up and they’re calling on the City of Columbus to improve parking in the neighborhood — once and for all.

READ MORE: http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/nov/15/3/neighbors-business-owners-hope-improved-parking-sh-ar-830100/

dru
    Participant

getting towed is a horrible and expensive ordeal, but i don’t really see the connection between the need for improved parking for businesses and residents and the failure of said residents to have their car moved for street cleaning. the IV side has cleaning 3x per year and the streets usually need it. it is posted on the street, the blockwatch puts signs on the corners, flyers on windshields and posts it on their facebook page. it’s something to keep track of.

cheap

it’s called urban living.

live it,love it.

leftovers

Not to mention street sweeping period is over until the spring…

dru
    Participant

leftovers said:
    Not to mention street sweeping period is over until the spring…

it did just occur this week in the IV

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

@dru, agreed. If you live in an area where street sweeping is prevalent, mark it on your calendar or subscribe to one of those text alert services. Between living in VV and IV I’ve had my car towed once in five years, and it was totally my fault.
    As for businesses in the area, perhaps they could work on informing their customers about parking options. We recently discovered loads of metered parking on Pearl Alley that we never even realized was there.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Some of the parking issues need to be alleviated, and there are two garage projects in the works: Pizzuti Hotel and whatever the new Ibiza project is called… but considering that both of those project also include pretty big, dense developments, it’ll probably be a wash.

That being said, parking needs to get a lot harder throughout the entire region if we expect any worthwhile portion of the general public to get on board with improving our public transit system.

Adding more garages and enabling drivers to come park in the Short North just continues down the path of us being a “it’s so easy to drive everywhere!” city.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

^^ when those two projects get approved 3 years from now. :P

mbeaumont
    Participant

Walker said:
    That being said, parking needs to get a lot harder throughout the entire region if we expect any worthwhile portion of the general public to get on board with improving our public transit system.

Adding more garages and enabling drivers to come park in the Short North just continues down the path of us being a “it’s so easy to drive everywhere!” city.

Exactly. I’m sympathetic to business owners, but otherwise I couldn’t care less for precisely the reason Walker states.

Oh and the new Ibiza project is called The Hubbard I believe.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

So, are you suggesting, Walker we don’t improve our streets and parking? Push for more public transportation and help educate the public about it?

futureman
    Participant

mbeaumont said:
    Exactly. I’m sympathetic to business owners, but otherwise I couldn’t care less for precisely the reason Walker states.

Oh and the new Ibiza project is called The Hubbard I believe.

It is going to going to have a 4 story parking garage with 322 spaces w/town houses facing hubbard to mask the garage, the main Ibiza site is going to have 18,000sf of retail space with 4 floors of apartments for a total 68 units (5 stories tall).

I recall the Pizzuti hotel/complex is going to have slightly less at 313 spaces. It does seem like these spaces will be used mostly for the 145 room hotel/office/retail.

http://bzs.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Building_and_Zoning_Services/Boards_and_Commissions/Zoning/Development_Commission/Meetings/2011/11-11/08-Z11-027%20Staff%20Report.pdf

cheap

Walker said:

i don’t agree.

i think it’s the area’s problem,not the city’s.

if you want density,this is what you get.

pack them in like sardines.

mbeaumont
    Participant

cheap said:
    i don’t agree.

i think it’s the area’s problem,not the city’s.

if you want density,this is what you get.

pack them in like sardines.

What exactly don’t you agree with? Walker is saying that until parking becomes a “problem” in more areas then we will never have a large percentage of the population demanding alternative transportation.

We want density. We’re glad this is what we get, so that eventually there will be demand for an alternative.

I’m not trying to be snarky, I’m really trying to clarify what you disagree with.

cheap

i am saying the entire region won’t ever have a parking problem,so the entire region won’t care.
    demanding alternative transportation is a moot point.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

cheap said:
    i am saying the entire region won’t ever have a parking problem,so the entire region won’t care.
    demanding alternative transportation is a moot point.

Obviously you don’t understand we are talking about urban. We know the whole region won’t ever have parking problems, but we do want alternative transport in the urban area to HELP reduce ( and solve) parking problems. Gives the urban climate, a more urban feel.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!