Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking Garage Condemned on Long Street

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Parking Garage Condemned on Long Street

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 169 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    If letting people do what they want to do with their property is conservative, count me in.

People can certainly have opinions, but that’s different than forcing someone else to carry out their wishes.

Development/Zoning guidelines exist in pretty much every city – large and small, conservative and liberal – all over the US.

Letting people do what they want to do with their property within guidelines is the American way.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    Development/Zoning guidelines exist in pretty much every city – large and small, conservative and liberal – all over the US.

Letting people do what they want to do with their property within guidelines is the American way.

There’s zoning codes, then there’s using the law as a club. I’m not surprised you don’t see the difference.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

The frustrating aspect of this conversation is the zero sum game being played here by those opposed to anything other than letting landowners doing whatever they want.

The pie in the sky suggestions are all coming from those fictionalizing the perspective of those who would like to see responsible and reasonable government work in conjunction with landowners to develop properties beyond just laying asphalt and painting white stripes.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

As people are pointing out in the new Panera thread, something is better than nothing.

Its not as if a surface parking lot is a billion-dollar investment. It will put the lot to some productive use while we all wait for a white knight to come in and build the dense, urban, multi-use development of our dreams.

Geno99
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    Perhaps I am turning a bit more conservative as I get older.
    Creepy.

You’re already conservative. I OTOH and getting more liberal as I get older. I voted for Reagan in my first presidental election and Obama in the last two, (and Nader in the two before that via vote swaps with people in tight states). For some, wisdom comes with age. With others, comes hardening of the arteries. ;) lol.

Pablo
    Participant

Rus and Greybeak are all for property rights until someone proposes a tire burning facility or rendering plant next to their homes.

Matt Boyd
    Participant

I have not had the opportunity to view the structure in question, so my comments are “general” at best….

I am a structural engineer, and I have inspected a large number of concrete structurs over the years from parking garages to massive concrete silos. Reinforced concrete is a very forgiving construction material. I am routinely amazed by how bad concrete structures can look and they are still standing/functioning. My guess with this structure is that the risk is likely not that the structure will pancake and fail. It is probably more that the loose and ready-to-fall concrete on the underside of the deck poses too significant a hazard to vehicles (and more importantly) people. A 1′-0″ x 1′-0″ x 2″ thick section of concrete weighs about 20-25 lbs. If that fell from 6′-0″ above a person’s head and struck them, it could cause very serious damage or even death.

Again, I didn’t see this structure….but this is my guess of why it was likely shut down. This and after receiving the inspection report and repair recommendations, the owner decided he/she was not going to pay for the repairs….hence, time to shut the thing down.

However, it is also completely possible that due to the excessive salt used on roadways (and parking garage structures) this time of year, there could be very significant structural damage that could potentially result in a catastrophic collapse.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Geno99 said:
    You’re already conservative. I OTOH and getting more liberal as I get older. I voted for Reagan in my first presidental election and Obama in the last two, (and Nader in the two before that via vote swaps with people in tight states). For some, wisdom comes with age. With others, comes hardening of the arteries. ;) lol.

Liberal? You voted for Bush III in the last two elections ;)

rus
    rus
    Participant

Matt Boyd said:
    I have not had the opportunity to view the structure in question, so my comments are “general” at best….

I am a structural engineer, and I have inspected a large number of concrete structurs over the years from parking garages to massive concrete silos. Reinforced concrete is a very forgiving construction material. I am routinely amazed by how bad concrete structures can look and they are still standing/functioning. My guess with this structure is that the risk is likely not that the structure will pancake and fail. It is probably more that the loose and ready-to-fall concrete on the underside of the deck poses too significant a hazard to vehicles (and more importantly) people. A 1′-0″ x 1′-0″ x 2″ thick section of concrete weighs about 20-25 lbs. If that fell from 6′-0″ above a person’s head and struck them, it could cause very serious damage or even death.

Again, I didn’t see this structure….but this is my guess of why it was likely shut down. This and after receiving the inspection report and repair recommendations, the owner decided he/she was not going to pay for the repairs….hence, time to shut the thing down.

However, it is also completely possible that due to the excessive salt used on roadways (and parking garage structures) this time of year, there could be very significant structural damage that could potentially result in a catastrophic collapse.

Thanks for that.

Graybeak
    Participant

Pablo said:
    Rus and Greybeak are all for property rights until someone proposes a tire burning facility or rendering plant next to their homes.

Snark Fail Pablo. I already live on the south side.

Graybeak
    Participant

Walker said:

rus said:
    There’s zoning codes, then there’s using the law as a club. I’m not surprised you don’t see the difference.

And that is my point. What pro se had said was much more club like than guideline like.

“Hopefully, they deny it and force some real investment.”

Pablo
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    Snark Fail Pablo. I already live on the south side.

No snark here. If someone proposes a use next door to your home that’s objectionable, you would oppose it, property rights be damned. It’s human nature.

Matt Boyd
    Participant

….also, “condemned” doesn’t mean it will definitely be demolished. It only means that in it’s current condition it is not suitable for occupancy. There is still a chance that the structure may just be closed until proper repairs can be made.

So, don’t anybody start drafting plans for a new mixed-use development on Long Street just yet.

MRipley
    Participant

Matt Boyd said:
    So, don’t anybody start drafting plans for a new mixed-use development on Long Street just yet.

No drafting needed. We carry pocket development guides for every potential lot in the city.

Matt Boyd
    Participant

MRipley said:
    No drafting needed. We carry pocket development guides for every potential lot in the city.

Nice. At least you come prepared.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 169 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE