Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking Garage Condemned on Long Street

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Parking Garage Condemned on Long Street

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 169 total)
  • Author

SteveKZ087
    Participant

Please, in the name of all that’s good! I hope someone will move on this soon. That garage was an eyesore when it was in operation, and it has gotten progressively worse since they were shut down.

Do we know if City Council’s new beefed-up code enforcement team will spend any time on properties like this, or will they be focusing strictly on residential slumlords?

Pro Se
    Participant

So according to the Dispatch, they’ve applied for a certificate of appropriateness to demolish the garage and convert it to a surface lot. Sad. Hopefully, they deny it and force some real investment.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

That’s definitely sad news. Here’s hoping your hope is realized.

Graybeak
    Participant

Hopefully, they will deny it and force them to do spend lots and lots of money to do what I want them to do instead of that they want to do…

FTFY

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Have a great day, Graybeak.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    Hopefully, they will deny it and force them to do spend lots and lots of money to do what I want them to do instead of that they want to do…

FTFY

Know what would go great there?

Vertical farm. Think of it! 75 stories of wholesome, nourishing plants! The ground level could be a unicorn ranch because OMG SUPER CUTE!!!

Graybeak
    Participant

rus said:

Vertical farm. Think of it! 75 stories of wholesome, nourishing plants! The ground level could be a unicorn ranch because OMG SUPER CUTE!!!

It’s ok to have that on the lower 75 stories, but then you have to have affordable housing above that.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

GROUND FLOOR UNICORN RANCH RETAIL!

rus
    rus
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    It’s ok to have that on the lower 75 stories, but then you have to have affordable housing above that.

Oh definitely.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Snarf said:
    GROUND FLOOR UNICORN RANCH RETAIL!

Exactly!!!!

First product:

Graybeak
    Participant

Anyway, all the fun and games aside, it is important to remember that hopes and dreams come with a price, and not everyone has the same goals in life.

I understand that folks have a vision for their ideal community, and it is a shame that sometimes real life and real limitations get in the way.

I really don’t think that the government should “force” anyone to do anything, especially when it involves “forcing” someone to spend millions of dollars of what someone thinks of as “real investment”.
    Perhaps I am turning a bit more conservative as I get older.
    Creepy.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The garage is a hot mess, and demolition sounds like a good idea to me. It doesn’t appear to be a structure worthy of preservation.

However, the use of a new surface lot should be prohibited for that location. The owner can develop or sell, but shouldn’t be allowed to operate a new surface lot.

Pro Se
    Participant

rus said:

Down with big bad government. Up with Ted Cruz!

FTFY

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Graybeak said:

No offense, but I’ve always read your ridicule of new ideas, sustainability, smart growth planning, and general creativeness as hard-line conservatism/libertarianism. But those are your opinions, and you’re certainly entitled to opposing everything you want to oppose. Just as everyone is entitled to sharing their thoughts on how the future of our city should be shaped through this specific project.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    Anyway, all the fun and games aside, it is important to remember that hopes and dreams come with a price, and not everyone has the same goals in life.

I understand that folks have a vision for their ideal community, and it is a shame that sometimes real life and real limitations get in the way.

I really don’t think that the government should “force” anyone to do anything, especially when it involves “forcing” someone to spend millions of dollars of what someone thinks of as “real investment”.
    Creepy.

If letting people do what they want to do with their property is conservative, count me in.

People can certainly have opinions, but that’s different than forcing someone else to carry out their wishes.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 169 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE