Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking in the Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Parking in the Short North

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 101 total)
  • Author

cyclist II
    Participant

Everyone knows that 90% of the parking in the Short North is for abortions.

As I shared before CU friends, my vote is for a 4 story parking garage across from Greystone that looks like the Greystone LOL and one at the old Shell site N High and E fifth in the Garden District – would be 2 nice anchors to the most trendy, happening place in the Midwest and Ohio the SN – would also help with the fab new Kroger in Weinland Park too!

Static-X

JimL2 wrote >>
    also speaking of wild guesses I don’t think there’s any such thing as the “department of mobility options”

Yea, I’m just wasting my time BSing all of you. Ask any business/restaurant owner in the city of Columbus who is a part of the “Parking Meter Board” and they will tell you that there is a Dept. of Mobility Options. It is an actual Dept. for the city.

kessler
    Participant

Static-X wrote >>

JimL2 wrote >>
    also speaking of wild guesses I don’t think there’s any such thing as the “department of mobility options”

Yea, I’m just wasting my time BSing all of you. Ask any business/restaurant owner in the city of Columbus who is a part of the “Parking Meter Board” and they will tell you that there is a Dept. of Mobility Options. It is an actual Dept. for the city.

Parking in the short north has always been an issue with many people. Luckily not for me. I’ve always been able to find ample free parking in the short north area. (Don’t give out the list ;-) I’ll lose my parking spots…just joking.
    One thing I aways do is look for the parking permit signs at the beginning of the street not alley or minor streets. The other thing is read all of the nearby signs, good point someone mentioned above was about the parking stickers on nearby cars. Another thing to mention is to walk around your car and be sure you are not in or near a handicap ramp/to close to a driveway/firehydrant etc.
    An Additional thing if you are using a parking meter read all the info, including maybe one meter nearby as well. (ex. the bridge on the cap is a towaway zone during rushour.)

@StaticX -Don’t take anything to heart, the majority of people on here just like a good debate/conversation. During this hopefully to get the facts clear for everyone.

lastly:
    http://publicservice.columbus.gov/mobility/

ZHC

JimL2 wrote >>

It’s not a full fledged dept., but there is a division of the Department of Public Services called the “Division Of Mobility Options”

http://publicservice.columbus.gov/mobility/%5B/url%5D

City Parking Meter policy/maintenance etc is under their purview to my knowledge.

ZHC

ah shoot kessler posted the same link/info 30 secs before I did. :)

kessler
    Participant

^^^great minds. ;-)

Static-X

kessler wrote >>

Static-X wrote >>

JimL2 wrote >>

Parking in the short north has always been an issue with many people. Luckily not for me. I’ve always been able to find ample free parking in the short north area. (Don’t give out the list ;-) I’ll lose my parking spots…just joking.
    One thing I aways do is look for the parking permit signs at the beginning of the street not alley or minor streets. The other thing is read all of the nearby signs, good point someone mentioned above was about the parking stickers on nearby cars. Another thing to mention is to walk around your car and be sure you are not in or near a handicap ramp/to close to a driveway/firehydrant etc.
    An Additional thing if you are using a parking meter read all the info, including maybe one meter nearby as well. (ex. the bridge on the cap is a towaway zone during rushour.)
    @StaticX -Don’t take anything to heart, the majority of people on here just like a good debate/conversation. During this hopefully to get the facts clear for everyone.
    lastly:
    http://publicservice.columbus.gov/mobility/

No, I don’t take anything to heart. I too love a good debate. But before I post anything on here, I make sure to research my facts first, or at least think I’m getting the right facts. D.O.M.O. is a fact and they are going to meter everything.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

San Francisco has an app for this:

San Francisco professes to have found a solution — a phone app for parking spot-seekers that displays information about areas with available spaces.

The system, introduced last month, relies on wireless sensors embedded in streets and city garages that can tell within seconds if a spot has opened up.

cbus11

I think the meters are doing their job. It used to be hard for me to find a decent place to park in the evenings when going out with some friends. Since they have increased the time to the evening hours it has been much easier.

Lets face it, a trip to the Short North is going to cost money. It is a boutique and restaurant district. It is not like you are paying to park at a grocery store. Feeding the meter is just a small part of blowing through our disposable incomes.

rbarbash
    Participant

It is a busy area and as a resident of the short north it can even be frustrating for me to find parking. I love my “V” pass but often I can’t even park in my permitted area and must find a place three or four blocks from my apartment. Saturdays I don’t dare move my car.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I always valet, $5 well spent.

News
    Participant

turnedNOTburned
    Participant

I just wanna express sincere thanks for the Parking Garage behind the Hub in Short north. Since its opening, I’ve been down to short north more in the last 2 months than I have in the last 3 years prior. I certainly don’t mind the expense given the guarentee/ease of parking availability and access to the area.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Graybeak
    Participant

I just received a pop up on my phone from the Columbus App that says:
    Number of Short North Parking Places at Meters to Increase During Rush Hours With Removal of Parking Restrictions.

No link to a expanded story explaining that statement, and someone is getting paid overtime for capitalizing letters, but I can’t wait to see what they are talking about.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 101 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE