Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking in the Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Parking in the Short North

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

A strategy is a must to find an open spot. I canvas a 2 block area and make rounds. 2 to 3, if nothing opens up I move on to the next 2 or 3 streets. Then I go back to the original block and look again. People are always leaving so spots pop up. In the warmer months I ride the bike.

Tigertree

But Chris, all of those streets would likely cause people to walk a quarter of a mile or so to their destination. No, seriously, that is a crazy long walk. And they might have to walk through a park, or look at some nice houses or find a store or restaurant they wouldn’t have found otherwise. I am with KinkLincolnParkingEnthusiast.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

Tigertree wrote >>
    But Chris, all of those streets would likely cause people to walk a quarter of a mile or so to their destination. No, seriously, that is a crazy long walk. And they might have to walk through a park, or look at some nice houses or find a store or restaurant they wouldn’t have found otherwise. I am with KinkLincolnParkingEnthusiast.

God freaking forbid it!!

TaraK
    Participant

The difficulty of parking anywhere can be pretty dependent on how familiar someone is with the area. I’m always baffled by folks using Lindey’s valet, as I know there’s TONS of parking in GV, but I realize I have a better knowledge of the neighborhood than folks who don’t frequent it.

It sounds like the frustration is primarily with poorly marked residential-only parking & getting ticketed when you specifically tried to ensure you were parking in appropriate place, which I think we can all understand. Perhaps that lead into overall frustrations with SN parking, but I’m not sure that was the root.

bjones7
    Participant

I love the short north, but +1 about the lack of parking space. I don’t know if anyone have any hard facts about this, but from what I’ve notice, the short north is becoming a popular place to shop eat,drink,etc as each month passes.

Static-X

Tigertree wrote >>

Tigertree, thank you for that comment. Yes, you can get some free parking, but someone isn’t wanting to walk a miracle mile to go throw some darts at a local bar. And that was my point, Chris S

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

i understand, i went to the sn tavern last night and had to park at 1st and dennison. i considered myself lucky…

Static-X

Chris Sherman wrote >>
    i understand, i went to the sn tavern last night and had to park at 1st and dennison. i considered myself lucky…

Whatever you do, don’t speak too loudly about the free parking. I heard that D.O.M.O. (dept. of mobility options) for the city is looking to turn any and all available free parking in the Short North area into metered parking.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

bjones7 wrote >>
    I love the short north, but +1 about the lack of parking space. I don’t know if anyone have any hard facts about this, but from what I’ve notice, the short north is becoming a popular place to shop eat,drink,etc as each month passes.

where have you been for the last 15-20 years? lol

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Static-X wrote >>
    Whatever you do, don’t speak too loudly about the free parking. I heard that D.O.M.O. (dept. of mobility options) for the city is looking to turn any and all available free parking in the Short North area into metered parking.

…I’m pretty sure that someone in city hall owns a street map, or knows where to get one.

I mean I wouldn’t exactly call it a wild guess.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

also speaking of wild guesses I don’t think there’s any such thing as the “department of mobility options”

Core_Models

JimL2 wrote >>
    also speaking of wild guesses I don’t think there’s any such thing as the “department of mobility options”

Which is exactly what the Department of Mobility Options wants you to think.

Tigertree

Static-X wrote >>

Tigertree wrote >>

Tigertree, thank you for that comment. Yes, you can get some free parking, but someone isn’t wanting to walk a miracle mile to go throw some darts at a local bar. And that was my point, Chris S

Exactly, Chris. That was actually my point too. Actually.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It was announced over a year ago that 400 new parking meters would be slowly rolled out to unmetered areas around town:

Final Parking Meter Advisory Team Meeting Today

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

Static-X wrote >>
    I guarantee you that there is NO FREE PARKING when it comes to the Short North area. You either have to pay a meter or you need a residential permit.

god, i live for hyperbole.

um, i live on buttles, across the street from the park, and it’s free fair-game parking right in front of my house.

got anymore “guarantees” you’d like to make?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 101 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE