Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking in the Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Parking in the Short North

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 101 total)
  • Author

Buckeyepoet

Was very annoyed this week- parked on a side street I have parked on hundreds of times before with no issue in order to get dinner in the Short North before dart league, only to come back later and find a parking ticket on my car for parking in a residential permit-parking only area! I looked before I left my car and did not see any signs saying I could (or should) not park there, and I was there for only a couple hours, but if I chose to fight the ticket, the court costs would cost more than the ticket itself!

Also, many of the previously-free public parking lots are now metered, so I feel like I am being forced to choose between paying for parking if I am down in the Short North as frequently as I enjoy, or being able to purchase products and services from the area merchants!

What’s next?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

The end of the world?

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Unfortunately, that just comes with the territory.

Enjoy it! My feelings exactly…come East young man….go East…..to Olde Towne East LOL

Matthew
    Participant

Several years ago I got a parking ticket outside the old Coffee Table. I remember being annoyed that there was print all over the ticket encouraging me to pay it online, but within ten days or else. For the whole ten days the online site was down with a message saying to try back in 24 hours.

10sun

Buckeyepoet wrote >>
    Was very annoyed this week- parked on a side street I have parked on hundreds of times before with no issue in order to get dinner in the Short North before dart league, only to come back later and find a parking ticket on my car for parking in a residential permit-parking only area! I looked before I left my car and did not see any signs saying I could (or should) not park there, and I was there for only a couple hours, but if I chose to fight the ticket, the court costs would cost more than the ticket itself!
    Also, many of the previously-free public parking lots are now metered, so I feel like I am being forced to choose between paying for parking if I am down in the Short North as frequently as I enjoy, or being able to purchase products and services from the area merchants!
    What’s next?

You can write appeals and there are no court costs associated with parking tickets.

http://publicservice.columbus.gov/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=ekfrm&ItemID=30971

How can I contest a ticket?
    You must contest a ticket within ten (10) calendar days from the issue date of the ticket. If you do not contest your parking ticket or payment is not received within ten (10) days, the first penalty will be added to the amount that is due. You may either contest the ticket using the link below, in writing, by U.S. mail to the address below, or by completing a form in person at the Parking Violations Bureau; 2700 Impound Lot Rd., Columbus, Ohio 43215

If after review, you still believe there is an error, you may request a personal hearing.

They will usually reject the initial online contest, so just go down to the PVB & file one in person… they will usually accept the ticket at that point.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Buckeyepoet wrote >>

The meter rates in the Short North are somewhere around a dollar an hour. It can’t be *that* much of a deterrent from spending money with businesses in the area.

The other options in the choice you’re being forced to make include taking the bus, riding a bike, or parking slightly further away (Summit?) and walking. There are quite a few options if you absolutely must park for free in the most popular neighborhood in the entire city.

Sucks to hear about the ticket though.

Static-X

Buckeyepoet wrote >>
    What’s next?

It sounds as though you’ve just been lucky in the past when it came to parking on that side street. I guarantee you that there is NO FREE PARKING when it comes to the Short North area. You either have to pay a meter or you need a residential permit. One last thing, and I’m not trying to sound like a smart-a$$, but don’t get mad at the city/ticket writer for this ticket. Ultimately, it’s the residents of that area who want these permits in place because they don’t want people like you taking up their personal parking spot because you want to go to the local bar to throw darts. Just pay a meter like everyone else and you should be “fine.’ Pardon the pun.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

KingLincolnUrbanEnthusiast wrote >>
    Enjoy it! My feelings exactly…come East young man….go East…..to Olde Towne East LOL

Oh, shut up already. The OP is complaining about parking in the SN as a visitor, not as a resident. They’re not looking to relocate their home.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

KingLincolnUrbanEnthusiast wrote >>

Oh, shut up already. The OP is complaining about parking in the SN as a visitor, not as a resident. They’re not looking to relocate their home.

lol! you just made my morning walker. Klue it’s go west…. ;)

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

Static-X wrote >>
    I guarantee you that there is NO FREE PARKING when it comes to the Short North area. You either have to pay a meter or you need a residential permit. .

tons of free parking in the sn and vic vill. i can name at least 30 streets. its more competitive than anything else.

Liner Notes
    Liner Notes
    Participant

Chris Sherman wrote >>

Static-X wrote >>
    I guarantee you that there is NO FREE PARKING when it comes to the Short North area. You either have to pay a meter or you need a residential permit. .

tons of free parking in the sn and vic vill. i can name at least 30 streets. its more competitive than anything else.

+1

Even though they just put meters in at the “Skully’s” Lot, free on street parking still exists right across the street on E. 4th. You might have to park a block away, but it’s definitely available without restriction.

Liner Notes
    Liner Notes
    Participant

As my last post was uploading, I wondered if any comprehensive free parking list exists. Does anyone know? If not perhaps we can start a tally here in this thread. Everyone post a street, lot, etc. so we can get a better idea of what’s really out there.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

1st ave
    2nd ave
    Wilbur west of dennison
    Hubbard west of park or dennison?
    Starr
    3rd ave east of mt pleasant and west of high st
    4th ave
    Highland
    Hunter
    Price ave
    Say ave
    Clark
    Dennison
    Neil ave
    Buttles west of Neil
    Christ anything west of Neil ave
    Summit
    4th St
    Hamlet north of 1st ave or 2nd.
    Courtland
    Indianola
    High St between 2nd ave and 4th ave.
    The list goes on..

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

I live in the SN and as Sherm mentions, there’s plenty of free parking if you take the time to look. It fills up quickly during weekends, and it might seem almost mythical during Gallery Hop, but it’s out there if you’re willing to stretch your legs.

Honestly, taxis are fairly cheap in this city and show up quickly, and now that the 21 is running it even makes sense to park way north or south of SN and just take the bus up the strip. It could easily be cheaper than a parking meter, depending on how long you plan on staying out.

And to the OP: A good rule of thumb (and this is also true around campus and some parts of GV) is you should always assume the street is permit-only, and check the cars you’re parking near. If they have permit stickers, odds are you’ve missed the signs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 101 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE