Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking facing traffic

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Parking facing traffic

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

nexttuesday
    Participant

I want to park my car on the street along the curb facing oncoming traffic. It’s convenient for me to park this way. I need to know if it’s a ticketable offense.

There are only two houses on my side of the block, and two opposite. There is almost zero traffic on my street because there is another more connected street one block over. Additionally, I’ve only ever seen a police car on my street twice (once because I called them). I know my actual chance of getting a ticket is very low, but I want to know if I can get one. Has anyone gotten one for parking this way? It’s not prohibited by Ohio Code, but I know each city sets its own parking regs. Other people in my neighborhood park that way, so I assume they don’t get tickets, but I don’t want to be the one who does.

adrock

yes you can. my sister got one years ago. this was in columbus in a subdivision near the suburbs, all the way in the back of a large neighborhood, in a cul-de-sac.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Yep, I have gotten a ticket for this. And this was after seeing residents on that same street do that daily, with no penalty that I could see. I think I just happened to get caught. Expensive ticket, sucked :(

nexttuesday
    Participant

That sucks. I guess I will have to be not lazy and turn around, or be rude and park in front of my neighbor’s house. Thanks for the heads up.

CDS sherman

how is parking in front of a neighbors house rude?

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Maybe their neighbor’s house is mostly a dance floor.

CDS sherman

i almost got into a fist fight with someone over the winter because i parked in front of there house. i was only staying for 15 min and this guy freaked out and demanded that i move my truck! i started to walk away and he threaten to vandalize it. well lets just say i moved the fucking truck….. the nerve of some people.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

That is pretty shitty. It’s public property, no?

Tigertree

When I lived in LA I drove a 15 passanger van. Between tours one time I stayed with a friend in Beverly Hills. I started to get anonymous letters under my windshield wipers about me “tank” and how bad it was making the neighborhood look and effecting their property value. Guess where I parked every day when I figured out who was writing the notes….

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

When I lived in an apartment in the GV/MV area I had a crazy asshole hillbilly neighbor who complained about people parking in front of his house. He yelled at me one night even though I wasn’t even the one parked there because he had seen me park there before. He tried to tell me that he had more right to park in front of his house than I did because he was a taxpaying homeowner and I was a non-taxpayer renter.

So I called the cops and had them sit him down for a little chat.

He didn’t bother me again, but I was glad to move away from that clown.
    But anyway, back to the point of the original topic, I have seen people ticketed for facing the wrong way when parked on the side of the road, so I’d just avoid doing it. ;)

adrock

geez, i’ve never seen someone get upset about that. when i’m in like a suburban subdivision, i try to park in front of the house i’m going to since there’s usually room for like 3-4 cars in front of each house. but in an urban environment or even here in grandview, you can’t really do that all the time.

joev
    Participant

CDS sherman wrote >>
    i almost got into a fist fight with someone over the winter because i parked in front of there house. i was only staying for 15 min and this guy freaked out and demanded that i move my truck! i started to walk away and he threaten to vandalize it. well lets just say i moved the fucking truck….. the nerve of some people.

I wonder if he had just shoveled snow out of that spot. That’s the only instance in which that type of behavior would be OK.

CDS sherman

no snow, the customer that i was seeing claims the guy is real asshole and simply doesnt want anyone parking in front of his house. when the guy threatened to “kick the shit” out of my truck i knew he wasnt dealing with a full deck of cards….. threatening to kick the shit out of someones car is NOT ok behavior.

joev
    Participant

No, certainly not. It would be a shame if a whole carton of roof tacks were to get dropped right in front of his house?

nexttuesday
    Participant

I don’t think it’s necessarily rude, but I try to park in front of my house and generally expect people to park in front of their houses if there is room. My neighbor has been parking in front of my house a lot, so I’ve just been parking in front of theirs because I’m coming from that direction. I have to turn around to park in front of mine. Really, if I could get my bf to ensure that my ebrake would hold my car, I could park in the driveway and avoid the whole issue.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE