Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking Ban Coming Soon to Some German Village Alleys

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Parking Ban Coming Soon to Some German Village Alleys

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

mrpoppinzs

labi said:
    I dream of the day when Weinland Park is occupied and in-demand enough that we get to post no-parking signs in the alleys.

At the rate backyards are being paved above 7th you may not have to wait long.

I can see this becoming a problem in Weinland Park. Some of the alleys are pretty tight and the college kids seem to have an aversion to parking on the street.

misskitty
    Participant

labi said:
    I dream of the day when Weinland Park is occupied and in-demand enough that we get to post no-parking signs in the alleys.

I did not say anything about being in demand. Our alleys tend to get busy less with passing traffic more with people in general hanging out. Nothing good happens when a bunch of different people kick it in the alleys.

Ricolla

I wish they would do it on the Hilltop, I don’t think it would have much effect though. For some reason the people that share my alley have an aversion to parking legally. They will park in front of garages, in the alley thru way, and on other people’s parking pads. And they do this when there is more than adequate on street parking. I had to get a tow away sign (which has been surprisingly effective) because my jackass neighbors assummed what’s mine is theirs. I wouldn’t mind sharing but they never asked- once.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Ricolla said:
    I wish they would do it on the Hilltop, I don’t think it would have much effect though. For some reason the people that share my alley have an aversion to parking legally. They will park in front of garages, in the alley thru way, and on other people’s parking pads. And they do this when there is more than adequate on street parking. I had to get a tow away sign (which has been surprisingly effective) because my jackass neighbors assummed what’s mine is theirs. I wouldn’t mind sharing but they never asked- once.

My neighbor at least asked if he could park his clunker on what is technically my lot next to the garage.

labi
    Participant

misskitty said:
    I did not say anything about being in demand. Our alleys tend to get busy less with passing traffic more with people in general hanging out. Nothing good happens when a bunch of different people kick it in the alleys.

By occupied/in-demand, I meant that when a neighborhood is 25% vacant, there’s plenty of room for people to park without impinging on the alleys. At least it’s that way on my street. I’m looking forward to the day when that changes for WP.

I completely agree with “nothing good happens when a bunch of different people kick it in the alleys.” I know several people in WP who won’t park behind their houses because they consider it a no-go zone. (These same people bitch about visitors parking in “their” places on the street, but that’s another topic.)

cheap

alleys can be dangerous

years ago,my brother actually had one of his cars totalled when it was parked in the alley behind his house on Findlay.

an elderly lady was going so fast she turned his garage into a drive thru

i told him it was karma for stealing that Vette back in ’66 and driving it through a garage

melikecheese
    Participant

leftovers said:
    I know some people who are going to be very unhappy about this, but having hard to find parking is pretty common in a lot of large cities.

Yeah ditto, I used to park on Purdy, but that also made the guy who owned the house across the alley super super super mad. He was too good to have to make any special move to get into his garage and felt he had the right to take a huge 180 turn and not have anyone in his way ever. He claimed some ordinance but I couldn’t find one that proved him right. I got ten bucks that guy was park of the complainers.

Graybeak
    Participant

cheap said:
    alleys can be dangerous

years ago,my brother actually had one of his cars totalled when it was parked in the alley behind his house on Findlay.

an elderly lady was going so fast she turned his garage into a drive thru

i told him it was karma for stealing that Vette back in ’66 and driving it through a garage

Yeah, I hate when that happens. Though in our case it wasn’t an elderly lady, but one of our drugged up neighbors in a mini-van.

So, if they are only banning parking in “some” alleys, does that mean we will get spill over in the other alleys?

Pablo
    Participant

misskitty said:
    Nothing good happens when a bunch of different people kick it in the alleys.

News
    Participant

Columbus set to enforce parking ban in German Village
    By GARY SEMAN JR.
    ThisWeek Community News
    Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:22 PM

The city of Columbus soon will begin enforcing a parking ban in a portion of eight alleys and streets in German Village. During the next several weeks, the city will put up signs and send postcard notifications to affected property owners.

Once the signs are in place, police will issue tickets and tow vehicles illegally parked on the designated roadways. The parking fine is $50 in addition to towing and daily storage fees.

READ MORE: http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/germanvillage/news/2012/10/09/eight-alleys-and-streets-targeted-columbus-set-to-enforce-parking-ban-in-german-village.html

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE