Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Pam's Market Popcorn at The North Market

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Pam's Market Popcorn at The North Market

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author

bababoohi

kossuth wrote >>
    Why has no one suggested that we head down to the North Market and buy more popcorn to help Pam stay in her location?

Mainly b/c some businesses simply can’t make it. Having an influx of business one day or even one week will only delay the inevitable.

cc

I don’t know, she has been in the NM for 5 years which is longer then many businesses last. I think JimL2 is right and there is a tendency for CU’ers to support stuff like gourmet pizza over boutique popcorn. It is too late to do anything about it now, but if she gets a cart I would give her a try.

bababoohi wrote >>

kossuth wrote >>
    Why has no one suggested that we head down to the North Market and buy more popcorn to help Pam stay in her location?

Mainly b/c some businesses simply can’t make it. Having an influx of business one day or even one week will only delay the inevitable.

bababoohi

cc wrote >>
    I don’t know, she has been in the NM for 5 years which is longer then many businesses last. I think JimL2 is right and there is a tendency for CU’ers to support stuff like gourmet pizza over boutique popcorn. It is too late to do anything about it now, but if she gets a cart I would give her a try.

bababoohi wrote >>

kossuth wrote >>

Yeah, that’s the best thing to do. Support the new location and hopefully it doesn’t happen again.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Popcorn is not very sexy, strippers don’t lick popcorn off each other.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pam’s Popcorn still in business
    Posted by John Ross on August 25, 2010

Things looked bleak last week for Pam’s Market Popcorn, which was in danger of losing its North Market real estate after suffering financial trouble and violating lease terms. A brighter future seems to have emerged since then for owner Pam Tykla.

READ MORE: http://blog.columbusalive.com/Sensory/2010/08/pams_popcorn_still_in_business.shtml

Twixlen
    Participant

Update:

My coworker just got back and she said that Pam said she is staying. She will be moving over somewhere near Kitchen Little/Jeni’s sometime in the next month.

Which means to me, something is going to come in and take the whole space there in that corner – which would be awesome. What? Could? It? Be?

somertimeoh
    Participant

Very cool, glad all parties were able to work something out. Still think the popcorn cart is an awesome idea and something to think about as an extra stream of revenue, like Jeni’s is doing with the scooter.

I think I’m going to have to add some to my mom’s Welcome to Columbus basket. I’m not going to name names but someone (coughKSquaredcough) and I tore up some Pam’s popcorn at the Apron Gala and I can’t help but think this might have helped push them in to the red, oops ;)

KSquared

Ha ha, I’m more surprised that we did not do major damage to Kitchen Little. I wanted to grab a tray of those sliders and run.
    Wait, Jeni’s has a scooter?! Why is this the first I’ve heard of this?
    Yes to the popcorn cart.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Twixlen wrote >>
    Update:
    My coworker just got back and she said that Pam said she is staying. She will be moving over somewhere near Kitchen Little/Jeni’s sometime in the next month.
    Which means to me, something is going to come in and take the whole space there in that corner – which would be awesome. What? Could? It? Be?

Hopefully something used to dealing with caustic substances… like the scorn and distaste overflow from the omega bakery.

somertimeoh
    Participant

rus wrote >>

Twixlen wrote >>
    Update:

Hopefully something used to dealing with caustic substances… like the scorn and distaste overflow from the omega bakery.

This actually made me giggle. How can anyone who makes and smells such delicious bread all day be in such piss poor moods, lol. Baffles me.

@KSquared, yes! They have the most delicious push pops. Not sure if there’s other stuff, I had one delivered to me a few weeks ago in exchange for a pass to the pool (ha!) and it was pink lemonade and couldn’t have hit the spot better!! I forgot about the Kitchen Little stalking, ack! I go there a lot so I think I’ve probably (hopefully) paid them back for my sliders :)

groundrules
    Participant

Twixlen wrote >>
    Update:

Twixlen
    Participant

@rus – Seriously funny. And yet, I am still drawn to that slab o’ focaccia, helpless to resist.

bzarcher
    Participant

Great to see that this all worked out!

bababoohi

bababoohi wrote >>

t_wms wrote >>
    I think it’s important to know that there are other things going on in the Market. The market board allows some merchants to owe back rent for years! At least two of them have recently owed several thousand dollars and been allowed to pay it off a little at a time. (I know this from the merchants themselves!) So….you have to ask yourselves, Why Pam and Why Now? When even the management says she is only two months behind in her repayment schedule? How do they decide who is allowed to owe back rent and who isn’t? Why destroy her business by only giving her 30 days to vacate (in order to have yet ANOTHER empty stall in the Market) when other businesses get 90 days (which might make it possible to find another location)? No one is asking these questions, but then, no one ever questions the Market management or the board. It’s just very sad that they are destroying another business.

Destroying another business might be a little strong. At the end of the day, I don’t know why it’s the Market’s responsibility to ensure that the popcorn business survives.
    There’s almost always more than meets the eyes in these cases and it’s usually not some personal vendetta. It’s business, and the Market is a business just like the popcorn shop. I doubt that the Market WANTS to have an empty stall and WANTS to go out and find a new tenant and WANTS to lose that revenue every month.
    Your example of owing back rent. I can see why it would be on a case by case basis. If one business can prove, via receivables vs payables, bank lines of credit, bank statements, etc. that they will be able to pay the rent in the near future, then it would make business sense to let them stay around. Why get rid of them if you know they’re good for it. My guess is that the popcorn shop couldn’t show that that would be the case for them.
    Maybe she got 30 days b/c that’s what her lease says she gets. Maybe the others say 90 days. It’s a negotiating point.
    If the writing was on the wall and the popcorn shop wasn’t able to meet the terms of the lease then the popcorn shop should’ve been looking at other options long before they were handed a 30 day notice to leave.
    It’s unfortunate, but take emotion out of it and think about it from the other side and it might all make sense.

I stumbled across this thread again and couldn’t help but laugh at the fact that t_wms has never responded to any of this positive news.

Tenzo
    Participant

Twixlen wrote >>
    Update:

Went down to NM for a good old number 9 at the Vietnamese place.
    A couple of stalls down they were putting the finishing touches on Pam’s Popcorn’s new digs.

Looks like it will be back in business as soon as Tuesday.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: