Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Pam's Market Popcorn at The North Market

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Pam's Market Popcorn at The North Market

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author

t_wms

I think it’s important to know that there are other things going on in the Market. The market board allows some merchants to owe back rent for years! At least two of them have recently owed several thousand dollars and been allowed to pay it off a little at a time. (I know this from the merchants themselves!) So….you have to ask yourselves, Why Pam and Why Now? When even the management says she is only two months behind in her repayment schedule? How do they decide who is allowed to owe back rent and who isn’t? Why destroy her business by only giving her 30 days to vacate (in order to have yet ANOTHER empty stall in the Market) when other businesses get 90 days (which might make it possible to find another location)? No one is asking these questions, but then, no one ever questions the Market management or the board. It’s just very sad that they are destroying another business.

DonnaTate

t_wms wrote >>
    I think it’s important to know that there are other things going on in the Market. The market board allows some merchants to owe back rent for years! At least two of them have recently owed several thousand dollars and been allowed to pay it off a little at a time. (I know this from the merchants themselves!) So….you have to ask yourselves, Why Pam and Why Now? When even the management says she is only two months behind in her repayment schedule? How do they decide who is allowed to owe back rent and who isn’t? Why destroy her business by only giving her 30 days to vacate (in order to have yet ANOTHER empty stall in the Market) when other businesses get 90 days (which might make it possible to find another location)? No one is asking these questions, but then, no one ever questions the Market management or the board. It’s just very sad that they are destroying another business.

Would I be jumping onto Roland’s mat by assuming this is Pam?

Bear
    Participant

(pops popco– d’oh!!)

t_wms

I’m not Pam, but I have bought her popcorn almost every week since she opened. Also, to be honest, I’ve gotten to know several merchants in the Market over the past years. And I’ve watched as those merchants are treated worse and worse, and the Market becomes more and more of a food court. I’ve been shopping there for fifteen years, and I hate to see these changes, and also hate to see small businesses destroyed like this.

drew
    Participant

t_wms wrote >>
    I’m not Pam, but I have bought her popcorn almost every week since she opened. Also, to be honest, I’ve gotten to know several merchants in the Market over the past years. And I’ve watched as those merchants are treated worse and worse, and the Market becomes more and more of a food court. I’ve been shopping there for fifteen years, and I hate to see these changes, and also hate to see small businesses destroyed like this.

So you’re a passionate customer with intimate insider knowledge of the workings of the North Market who was moved to sign into CU just to share thoughts on the relationship between the NM and its vendors.

I totally buy it!

t_wms

Buy it or not, Drew, I love the North Market, and have written to them several times to protest some of the changes over the past few years. I hope you don’t blame Pam for my responses. And frankly, just spending time in the Market, it’s easy to get to know the merchants. So many people just think of it as the home of one or two of the best-known shops, but it is so much more. I can see that it’s hard to run a small business (I was once involved in opening a business that we first looked at putting in the Market, but the leases were too restrictive for what we wanted to do so we never filled out the forms), and I wish all of them well. So yes, Drew, you are welcome to make fun of me and doubt my sincerity, but I buy most of the food for my family in the Market, and it means a great deal to me.

Listen, this is life. Yes, there are rules, which can/cannot be applied uniformly. Sometimes you are on the winning side, sometimes the losing side. In any community/business, if people want you there, they will twist the rules to make it happen. If they don’t then the rules will be twisted to accomplish this as well.

If I were her, I’d buy a popcorn cart, get a vendors permit, and park it on the sidewalk next to the market and continue to operate my business. Vowala! Expenses are down, profit is up and you keep you business and customers.

cc

That seems a very sensible approach for a portable product such as popcorn. It could also compliment the movie nights in Goodale park.

Bristol Bar wrote >>

If I were her, I’d buy a popcorn cart, get a vendors permit, and park it on the sidewalk next to the market and continue to operate my business. Vowala! Expenses are down, profit is up and you keep you business and customers.

DonnaTate

cc wrote >>
    That seems a very sensible approach for a portable product such as popcorn. It could also compliment the movie nights in Goodale park.

That’s an awesome idea! I’d visit a popcorn cart :)
    I buy all our meats, cheeses, produce and flowers from the North Market and I also walk there for lunch with my son. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Pam in her shop. Perhaps a cart would be a better option for a business owner who wants flexibility in their schedule…

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Hey if you’re a regular customer at Pam’s and don’t know what you’re going to do, just go to the store and buy Corn Pops, it’s basically the same thing.

In fact, maybe that’s why Pam’s is going out of business; everyone realized Corn Pops are still around. (“It’s got the taste… that POPS!” <–my suggestion for the new Corn Polyps logo ©2010)

bababoohi

t_wms wrote >>

Destroying another business might be a little strong. At the end of the day, I don’t know why it’s the Market’s responsibility to ensure that the popcorn business survives.
    There’s almost always more than meets the eyes in these cases and it’s usually not some personal vendetta. It’s business, and the Market is a business just like the popcorn shop. I doubt that the Market WANTS to have an empty stall and WANTS to go out and find a new tenant and WANTS to lose that revenue every month.
    Your example of owing back rent. I can see why it would be on a case by case basis. If one business can prove, via receivables vs payables, bank lines of credit, bank statements, etc. that they will be able to pay the rent in the near future, then it would make business sense to let them stay around. Why get rid of them if you know they’re good for it. My guess is that the popcorn shop couldn’t show that that would be the case for them.
    Maybe she got 30 days b/c that’s what her lease says she gets. Maybe the others say 90 days. It’s a negotiating point.
    If the writing was on the wall and the popcorn shop wasn’t able to meet the terms of the lease then the popcorn shop should’ve been looking at other options long before they were handed a 30 day notice to leave.
    It’s unfortunate, but take emotion out of it and think about it from the other side and it might all make sense.

stinkybomb
    Participant

The husband was quite sad to hear about Pams. It was always his destination stop whenever we went to the NM.

Regardless of what the issues are, it still sucks to see a long standing local company close their doors.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Bear wrote >>
    (pops popco– d’oh!!)

Hehehe… Nice one…

kossuth

Why has no one suggested that we head down to the North Market and buy more popcorn to help Pam stay in her location?

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

I think that ship’s sailed, Kossuth.

Plus nobody really likes popcorn. It gets in your teeth, and just… ech.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: