Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Land-Grant Brewing Company

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining The Land-Grant Brewing Company

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

cherylharrison
    Participant

The Kickstarter-launched brewery formerly known as “Oval” will be called the Land-Grant Brewing Company when the launch early next year.

More info: http://drinkupcolumbus.com/2012/10/05/oval-rebrands-as-land-grant-brewing-company/

News
    Participant

Land-Grant Brewing Announces New Location in Franklinton
    March 6, 2014 – Ayana Wilson

https://www.columbusunderground.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/land-grant-02.jpg

The new site will house an 8,000 square-feet production floor featuring a 20-barrel brewery room, and a 3,200 square feet taproom. Land-Grant’s owners, Adam Benner, Walt Keys, and Quintin Jessee, got conditional approval for the plan from the East Franklinton Review Board on February 17th, and hope to garner full approval on March 25th.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/land-grant-brewing-announces-new-location-in-franklinton-aw1

News
    Participant

Land Grant Brewing Company Opens Franklinton Operations
    September 17, 2014 1:28 pm – Walker Evans

Opening a brewery can take a very long time, as Adam Benner and Walt Keys would attest. The two co-owners (along with other partners) of the new Land Grand Brewing Company started their journey started nearly three years ago with a successful Kickstarter campaign to launch what was then called the Oval Brewing Company. After a name change from Oval to Land Grant and a location change from Grandview to Franklinton, the team is finally ready to swing open their doors this weekend for a sneak preview during Independents’ Day.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/land-grant-brewing-opens-franklinton-operations

DouginCMH
    Participant
    vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

anyone go?

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

We went Saturday during the game and it was crowded. Still did not have to wait too long to order and they were super nice guys and seemed really happy with the turn out. We were told “…thanks for coming out” more than once.

I had their Stiff Arm IPA and it was solid, worth making the trip to try. Mishelle had their 1862 Ale, a German Kolsch, and she liked it.

At least 4 large TV’s and plenty of picnic talbe seating, but the time we were there it was standing room only.

It would have been nice if the food trucks had been ready earlier. Ended up leaving sooner than planned to get something to eat.

I’ll be back.

Rodgers
    Participant

I was there Saturday. Their IPA was pretty good, but it might be a little understated for those who prefer their IPAs to have the hops jump out of the glass and assault their taste bud. Personally, I liked the subtle balance in their IPA.

I will definitely revisit the place in the future to try out their other brews, despite the fact that the cafeteria-style seating (think rows of picnic tables, lined up end-to-end, which are admittedly great for large groups) and the sports bar vibe (which was definitely present on Saturday) isn’t usually my thing.

duncanfj
    Participant

We stopped in Sunday. The kolsch was the most interesting beer they had, the IPA second. We did talk with one of the employees who said they will be changing the recipes for the brown, session IPA and IPA, with the brown being changed the most.

tdziemia
    Participant

Well, being away from CU for a while, and seeing a business be 1 1/2 years late on their launch prediction does not give me a warm and fuzzy.

But I’ll check it out.

Is this market space getting crowded?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Is this market space getting crowded?

Well, the Portland Metro Area has 76 breweries and 2.3 million people.

Columbus has 1.9 million people and around 22 breweries (by Drink Up’s count).

So I would say no.

tdziemia
    Participant

I’m not sure that list works, since Cbus also gets all the NE and SE Ohio craft brews competing with Central OH (Thirsty Dog, GL, Jackie Os, etc, etc.). Maybe not big enough to make a difference .. or maybe yes.

DouginCMH
    Participant

I’m not sure that list works, since Cbus also gets all the NE and SE Ohio craft brews competing with Central OH (Thirsty Dog, GL, Jackie Os, etc, etc.). Maybe not big enough to make a difference .. or maybe yes.

And places like Portland and Seattle don’t have non local brews? Local craft beer is booming. I see no reason why that trend will suddenly change.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I guess there’s probably also a quantity-per-brewery factor to consider as well. 5 breweries making 20 barrels a day is the same output as 1 brewery making 100 barrels per day when you look only at volume produced for your regional customer market.

That being said… I think we still have a long way to go before hitting a saturation point.

thecandlelab
    Participant

Go out to any bar in Columbus that isn’t craft-brew specific, and see the waves of bud light flowing from behind the bar…there is still plenty of room in this market for all who want to enter.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

That being said… I think we still have a long way to go before hitting a saturation point.

100% agree

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: