Our City Online

Messageboard - Video Games

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ouya

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  News 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Not a bad review from Joystiq:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/04/ouya-review/

These complaints aside, the Ouya has a lot going for it at $99. It’s not a replacement for its beefier console cousins, but there are plenty of fun games available, though anyone looking for large-scale, engrossing single-player games may want to wait for more of the big-name releases to arrive. Even so, thanks to the Ouya’s portability and selection of simple, intuitive multiplayer games, I can easily see it becoming my go-to party console. Of course, if you don’t have extra PS3 controllers lying around, you’ll have to shell out $50 for each additional Ouya controller, which may detract a bit from the console’s budget-priced allure. Still, with over 200 games free to try – and a very strong suite of emulators – there’s considerable value packed into the Ouya’s tiny frame.

Also, more on the games:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/04/ouya-launch-game-highlights/

futureman
    Participant

Interesting … 73% of Ouya users have yet to pay for a game. Considering how games support the device I don’t see how this going well.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/26/only-27-of-ouya-owners-have-actually-purchased-a-game

futureman
    Participant

So this box is pretty cool, but relatively pricey – http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/11/4718084/gigabytes-tiny-new-gaming-pc-is-smaller-than-an-xbox-controller

Basically a bare-bones PC for $499-$599 the size of a xbox controller that is fanless (quiet!) which you have to supply your own memory and hdd. If your invested into Steam and don’t want the bulk of standard PC hanging out in your living room for big screen gaming this looks to be a nice option. Graphics are comparable to a Nvidia 650M, which is OK.

and yes, it can play Crysis (somewhat).

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Cool, but not cool enough to warrant its own thread? ;)

GCrites80s
    Participant

I’ll do a mini-review of the system since somebody traded it in here at work. Hardware-wise, it’s merely OK. I don’t really like much about the controller except the analog sticks. The D-pad is kind of wonky and clicky. The face buttons are too flat and also kinda clicky and the triggers are squeaky and feel like they’re made out of thin plastic. Your hands feel alright gripping it though. If you like little decks that take up a minimum of space the Ouya will make you happy. It’s basically a 3X3X3″ cube. Keep in mind that it is HDMI ONLY — no composite outputs for hooking it up to a tube TV in your basement or a non-HDMI TV in a hotel unless you buy a converter. I was also disappointed that it had a fan, since I was hoping that as a low-powered system there might have been a chance that they could forsake one. The need for a fan immediately reduces the reliability of game systems as they suck dust and dirt into the system that can eventually grind it to a halt. At least there’s no laser lens present to get covered in dirt sucked in by the fan. What is sad though is that Ouya has twice as much RAM as a 360 and 4X the RAM of a PS3. Wanna know why the game companies that make games for 360 and PS3 tell you that “nobody wants offline multiplayer now” even though the retro stores can’t keep the good multiplayer games for older systems around? 360 and PS3 can’t do those types of games — not with HD graphics at least. They have far too little RAM for that.

Systems are nothing without games — and lots of good ones. I will tell you right now, I am a retro gamer. Sure I have a 360, but I mostly have sports, racing and retro-infused games such as Street Fighter IV for it. I don’t have the time or patience for today’s AAA games that are full of cinematics and talking. So Ouya games should be right up my alley, no? Well, not really. The words “Shockwave Flash” “Megatouch” “West Virgina video gambling den” “Facebook” and “phone game” went through my head as I sampled most of them rather than the “Castlevania”, “Ninja Gaiden” and “Altered Beast” I was seeking. While most games were of the PLAY NOW variety, meaning minimal talking, simple controls, easy deaths and action right off the bat, that wasn’t enough to keep me compelled like the retro games did. Though most of the games were, indeed, even simpler than the average NES game, the lack of depth doesn’t bother me as someone who still plays Atari 2600 on a regular basis. Instead, I think it was the Colorforms look to a lot of the games. I will have to admit to not buying any of the full versions of the games simply because I didn’t want to become invested in something that I wasn’t sure that I wanted to keep and would have to delete before selling it at work.

I didn’t really write down any of the names of the 20 or so games that I tried, but I do remember a few: Tennis in the Face, a point-and-shoot game that allowed me to set off Rube Goldberg-esque chain reaction disasters on my foes by hitting a tennis ball. I liked that one. Acid Trip: With a name like that, I had to see what it was all about. It was mostly like those 3-D sections of Sonic 2 and 3 where you rotated around in a tunnel picking up rings and other bonuses. Sonic 4: The legendarily barren, slow-accelerating, dull and unnecessary Sonic 4 isn’t any better on Ouya than it is anywhere else. And Sonic moves funny. There was also a crane game that I gave an hour or so which was every bit as pedantic as operating a real crane. The world still needs a really good bulldozer/trackhoe/wrecking ball game!

Now are you seeking an easy emulator solution for your HDTV? I am way past my emulator stage of the late ’90s/early 2000s for normal retail games that aren’t too expensive and fairly easily obtained. I still use them for arcade games and expensive and hard-to-find games like Magical Chase on TurboGrafx ($1500), Neo Geo titles and games for hardware that’s a real hassle to obtain like Turbo CD and SuperGrafx. While I still vastly prefer my modded Original Xbox for this task, for a lot of people Ouya might be a workable gateway drug to the world of emulation and retro gaming. It can be difficult at times to get the retro systems looking good on LCD TVs (especially inexpensive older models) but an Ouya quickly solves that problem with a clean HDMI-based solution. I didn’t mess around with the emulators installed on this Ouya long enough to vouch for their compatibility with lots and lots of different games, but the SNES, Genesis and GBA emulators did indeed work with the popular, simple games I tried with them. The file systems of emulators are always fun to work with (NOT) and Ouya is no different in that respect.

Overall, it’s not for me, but if you like Shockwave and/or phone games and want to play them on the big screen Ouya might work out for you. And, it’s a quick, easy emulator solution for your HDTV. If you put it next to your NES, 360 or even your 2600 and expect the same experience you might end up trading it in like the previous owner did.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’ve never seen it in a store, but it sounds like it’s headed to all Targets soon:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/24/ouya-retail-presence-expands-to-all-target-locations/

futureman
    Participant
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, noble attempt I guess. I never did buy one. Perhaps I can find one for dirt cheap like I did my Dreamcast and Virtual Boy. ;)

GCrites80s
    Participant

We never even got to sell the Ouya that got traded-in. It got stolen during another break-in at our old location back in February.

News
    Participant

Razer buys Ouya
    By Craig Chapple
    July 27th 2015 at 3:14PM

Razer has bought microconsole outfit Ouya, founder Julie Uhrman has announced. Uhrman thanked the firm on Twitter, as well as a host of other people who helped bring the Ouya to market. Her tweets also suggest she has left the company as part of the Razer deal.

READ MORE: http://www.develop-online.net/news/razer-buys-ouya/0209329

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

The forum ‘Video Games’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Tour new apartments and homes on Sunday, September 15th during the Urban Living Tour!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO