Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

National Tire and Battery - Downtown Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping National Tire and Battery – Downtown Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

I’m glad to hear you had a great service experience, that’s always awesome!

I can’t in good conscience recommend NTB to anyone based on my experience with the one at Hudson next to Crew Stadium. I’ve occasionally gotten tires there when they have a great sale, but over the course of all my trips there they have recommended hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in work that wasn’t necessary.

coolbuckeye
    Participant

I would also like to give a shout out to the NTB downtown. I always get good service there and the staff really know what they are doing. I’ve also been to the one on silver and they definitely get a big thumbs down. I think franchises are hit and miss regardless of what company it is. The manager Derrick really runs a good shop. I will go there as long as he is in charge.

berdawn

tourist19 wrote >>
    ET Paul people. ET Paul.[/url] They are the best. Seems like NTB is hit or miss based on location and who works there.

Oh, yes! That’s where I got the most recent tires; they were really great.

tourist19
    Participant

Lakee911 wrote >>
    Oh ya, over in OTE, no?
    Aren’t they the ones who goofed up your cruise which left you on the side of the road? ;)

Nope, that was Auto Additions in Westerville. They made it right though and replaced the cruise.

Twixlen
    Participant

coolbuckeye wrote >>
    I would also like to give a shout out to the NTB downtown. I always get good service there and the staff really know what they are doing. I’ve also been to the one on silver and they definitely get a big thumbs down. I think franchises are hit and miss regardless of what company it is. The manager Derrick really runs a good shop. I will go there as long as he is in charge.

I think the chains completely depend on the folks who work there and directly manage them. I used to go to a Monroe – the manager there was friggin’ awesome – but I wouldn’t go to another Monroe to get my oil changed.

I like the Firestone on West Broad. Those folks have been good to me, they know what’s up, and I live within walking distance. *win*

solpwr
    Participant

I used NTB for the longest period but had a problem with them and decided to find another company for my fleet. I did call their office in FLA (I think) and told them of the incident because it was about theft and not service. I warned the homeoffice and decided not to go back again. That was about 4 years ago. I am happy that they got a compliment for their service.
    I use Rick and Charles at C&M towing for all types of mechanical work. Rick is especially good at troubleshooting with old american vehicles. Chuck has been at his location at 18th Avenue & 4th Street for about 15 years. You can’t get anymore local than these folks. Their place would be a good setting for a film.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

tourist19 wrote >>
    ET Paul people. ET Paul.[/url] They are the best. Seems like NTB is hit or miss based on location and who works there.

Quite possibly. I purchased tires at the eastside one back in the mid 80s. I went up to Cleveland and had a flat. I had a full sized spare and ended up driving to Toledo. The NTB there replaced the tire. I don’t remember what I paid, but I remember being satisfied.

Still, I realize that people will have differing experiences. The manager at the one downtown said it is now company policy to sell Roadside Assistance coverage with all sales. But since we have AAA, we don’t need it. He decided to ignore company policy and not charge us for that service.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

tourist19 wrote >>

Yep! You can trust these guys, you cannot trust NTB however!
    I needed a new set of tires so I went to the dealer, dealer looked ’em and gave me a quote and was nice enough to say hey you can probably get a better price on these tires from NTB. So I head over to NTB and they gave me a quote on new tires and then proceeded to tell me I need new struts. I’m like “huh” the dealer just checked it out and said nothing about new struts. And the NTB rep. is all indigent and says that I need new struts and legally he can’t even let me leave. So that’s when the BS flag went from white to red, he quoted me $1K for new struts and then I told him to give me my keys.
    Went right back over to the dealer and said hey NTB told me I need new struts what’s up. And the dealer just smiled and shook his head, he told me they do that “ALL the time”. Said they get people that come to them all the time where NTB is trying to sell services not needed.
    I rarely take any mechanic on their word and always get a second opinion, good thing I did this time saved me a $1,000 rip off from NTB!
    NTB should stand for (I’m) Not that Blind!

solpwr
    Participant

Porky wrote >>

tourist19 wrote >>

Yep! You can trust these guys, you cannot trust NTB however!
    I needed a new set of tires so I went to the dealer, dealer looked ’em and gave me a quote and was nice enough to say hey you can probably get a better price on these tires from NTB. So I head over to NTB and they gave me a quote on new tires and then proceeded to tell me I need new struts. I’m like “huh” the dealer just checked it out and said nothing about new struts. And the NTB rep. is all indigent and says that I need new struts and legally he can’t even let me leave. So that’s when the BS flag went from white to red, he quoted me $1K for new struts and then I told him to give me my keys.
    Went right back over to the dealer and said hey NTB told me I need new struts what’s up. And the dealer just smiled and shook his head, he told me they do that “ALL the time”. Said they get people that come to them all the time where NTB is trying to sell services not needed.
    I rarely take any mechanic on their word and always get a second opinion, good thing I did this time saved me a $1,000 rip off from NTB!
    NTB should stand for (I’m) Not that Blind!

My problem was tierods. It was a coincidence that I asked an employee of mine to show me how to change tierods on a chevy truck. We went through the process and he demonstrated on one side how to set the pin correctly. I did the other side myself. I can’t remember for what type of work it was but a week later we took the truck to NTB because we couldn’t do the work. When we got the truck back, my mechanic wanted to check out their work on our rack and we noticed that the tierods had been replaced with old wornout tierods and in their haste put the pins in backward. He was so pissed. At that point we decided to just find another mechanic and I called their homeoffice. And we replaced the tierods ourselves…again.

Lakee911
    Participant

hugh59 wrote >>

tourist19 wrote >>
    The manager at the one downtown said it is now company policy to sell Roadside Assistance coverage with all sales. But since we have AAA, we don’t need it. He decided to ignore company policy and not charge us for that service.

They’re not the same. Some duplication of service, but Road Hazard Warranty covers more than AAA.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Lakee911 wrote >>

hugh59 wrote >>

tourist19 wrote >>
    The manager at the one downtown said it is now company policy to sell Roadside Assistance coverage with all sales. But since we have AAA, we don’t need it. He decided to ignore company policy and not charge us for that service.

They’re not the same. Some duplication of service, but Road Hazard Warranty covers more than AAA.

We actually purchased the road hazard warranty. But we did not need their roadside assistance. Sorry, my description was inadequate.

phaedrus
    Participant

StowCbusCleveland wrote >>
    I’m glad to hear you had a great service experience, that’s always awesome!
    I can’t in good conscience recommend NTB to anyone based on my experience with the one at Hudson next to Crew Stadium. I’ve occasionally gotten tires there when they have a great sale, but over the course of all my trips there they have recommended hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in work that wasn’t necessary.

This is the same gripe that myself and friends have had with them as well. Although our experience has been limited to the Dublin-tuttle NTB, It seems pretty evident to me that this is either something NTB trains their employee’s to do, or that they are compensated in some way for the additional services they can book. Perhaps certain employees at certain locations are more reputable, for me personally it’s hardly worth the risk to seek them out. I would take my business elsewhere.

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

I would say as long as you go in knowing you are only getting tires and you won’t listen to anything else they say, you could potentially score a deal. As far as I can tell, the business model is based on cheap oil changes, decent deals on tires, and upselling to big repairs.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

StowCbusCleveland wrote >>
    I would say as long as you go in knowing you are only getting tires and you won’t listen to anything else they say, you could potentially score a deal. As far as I can tell, the business model is based on cheap oil changes, decent deals on tires, and upselling to big repairs.

Bingo!
    I still ended up getting the tires from them cause they were the same tires from the dealer just cheaper.

Lakee911
    Participant

So the girlfriend made an appointment at NTB for re-alignment and re-balancing (because last time it didn’t seem to be done correctly) for 5 o’clock today at the Silver Dr. location. She showed up and they couldn’t get to her for many hours so she had to make a new appointment for Tuesday. They were understaffed. It would have been nice for them to maybe give her a phone call if they couldn’t do the service.

These things just really irk me… apparently there is no financial incintive to having good business practices and treating customers right. It certainly isn’t the thing that keeps you in business, that is for sure.

**shakes head**

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS