Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

OU's Columbus Medical Campus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development OU’s Columbus Medical Campus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Ohio University to receive $105 million donation

Gift will go toward Columbus medical college

Ohio University will receive a $105 million donation that will help build a medical college in Columbus focused on training family physicians…

The first $29 million of the gift will be used to build an extension campus of OU’s medical school in Columbus and cover the start-up costs for three years. College officials haven’t yet decided where to build the campus or whether they’ll partner with a central Ohio hospital or health-care system.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/04/30/ohio-university-to-receive-$105-million-donation.html?sid=101

Let the lobbying begin! How do we get this built in an urban area!?!

Analogue Kid
    Participant

This is great news. I’m thinking they’ll want it on the east or southeast side to make getting to 33 (and to Athens) quick. I hope when they say “Columbus” though that they didn’t really mean Pickerington or something…

yurtgirl
    yurtgirl
    Participant

There is a medical education center at Doctors that opened late last year. Wonder if it’ll be associated with it. Hope so, the west side is under served as far as health care goes.

futureman
    Participant

Ohio University medical school site search gets hearts racing
    Premium content from Business First – by Brian R. Ball
    Date: Friday, August 5, 2011, 6:00am EDT – Last Modified: Thursday, August 4, 2011, 4:18pm EDT

Ohio UniversitybizWatch officials have started touring the area as they scout sites for the school’s planned Central Ohio medical campus.

The Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine hired the Robert Weiler Co.bizWatch brokerage to lead the search for a 60,000- to 65,000-square-foot teaching facility within easy reach of the region’s hospitals so budding osteopaths can hone their skills.

“We got a bus and drove all around Columbus to get a feel for where things are,” said Dr. Jack Brose, the college’s dean.

Plans call for the facility to host its first classes in summer 2014.

READ MORE:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2011/08/05/ou-site-search-gets-hearts-racing.html

futureman
    Participant

Dublin will be home to new OU medical college
    By Encarnacion Pyle , Holly Zachariah and Suzanne Hoholik
    Thursday November 17, 2011 6:41 PM

ATHENS, Ohio — Ohio University has chosen Dublin as the site for a new medical college designed to help fill a shortage of family physicians.

OU officials announced this afternoon that the school will buy 14 acres at 7001-7003 Post Road for the medical college, and that they have been in talks with Dublin about contributing about 90 acres of contiguous property. Trustees will be asked to approve the purchase Friday.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/11/17/ohio-university-dublin-medical-college.html

Pablo
    Participant

I must say I’m disappointed with the location. I had heard that OU was considering a location in the Discovery District… Oh well.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I wonder how this new affects the DEC:

Home

They’re in that building and have grown quite a bit. Wonder if they’l have to look for a new home if they keep expanding?

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Maybe it’s me, but the whole idea of Ohio University opening a medical school in Dublin just seems really bizarre and impractical. I mean, it does benefit Columbus/Central Ohio for sure to have another medical school option available here. From a practical/efficiency standpoint however, it doesn’t seem to make a great deal of sense for Ohio University in Athens to be the entity providing this option when Ohio State is already established with its own hospital and medical program in the Columbus area. It would be like Ohio State moving into Cincinnati or Toledo and setting up a similar program in those places despite the fact that the University of Cincinnati and the University of Toledo each have hospitals and their own medical programs in place within their respective regions.

I understand now that the money that OU is using to accomplish this comes from a private donation. Even so, it seems to me that they would be better off beefing up their offerings in Southeastern Ohio and the Appalachian region, a place that desperately needs the kind of investment and big breaks that Dublin seems to be more than overflowing with.

mellotron
    Participant

I think you’d be surprised how un-brick & mortar medical education is. It’s two years of book learning that you can do in a coffee shop / library while streaming lectures; followed by two years of rotations thru various hospitals. OU-Athens students do a lot of the 3rd and 4th year rotations all over the state simply because there aren’t enough hospitals in SW Ohio to place all of them.

Cornell’s medical school is in NYC, not Ithica. Northwestern’s is in Chicago, not Evanston. You gotta train where the patients are.

The final mission is to get more primary care docs down in SW Ohio, this is true. So some of these students’ enrollment may be contingent upon them agreeing to staying in primary care and there are certainly other incentives made to get them to take SW Ohio positions (student loan payment, etc). You just don’t necessarily have to do all of your training there. In fact, they’d be much better served to see the vast variation of illnesses in a large urban center before heading to SW Ohio.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

mellotron said:
    I think you’d be surprised how un-brick & mortar medical education is. It’s two years of book learning that you can do in a coffee shop / library while streaming lectures; followed by two years of rotations thru various hospitals. OU-Athens students do a lot of the 3rd and 4th year rotations all over the state simply because there aren’t enough hospitals in SW Ohio to place all of them.

Cornell’s medical school is in NYC, not Ithica. Northwestern’s is in Chicago, not Evanston. You gotta train where the patients are.

The final mission is to get more primary care docs down in SW Ohio, this is true. So some of these students’ enrollment may be contingent upon them agreeing to staying in primary care and there are certainly other incentives made to get them to take SW Ohio positions (student loan payment, etc). You just don’t necessarily have to do all of your training there. In fact, they’d be much better served to see the vast variation of illnesses in a large urban center before heading to SW Ohio.

Good points all around, I’ll admit. Maybe it’s just the Buckeye in me that is feeling a little bit of territorial infringement. I still at the very least would have rather seen this school established in the southern or eastern quadrants of Columbus in places that would have derived a comparatively greater benefit (vs. Dublin) from the investment, but I guess Dublin is probably one of the more likely locations in the area to house and attract prospective doctors. Not to mention, as someone else said, Dublin is a place where patients are likely to be well-insured vs. many communities on the south or east sides of town.

Central Ohio still benefits overall, which is the most important thing.

. For people who are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary or their 80th birthday and beyond, the White House will send a card signed by the president for the happy occasion.

They ask that you send your request six weeks before the event and they will send the greeting out ten days before the event. This is something most people do not know, so why are waiting for, go on ask the U.S. President for his blessings.

If you have access to memorabilia, a scrapbook detailing their 50 years together would make a wonderful gift

Other About Bridesmaid Dresses for 2011 blog

wholesale Bridesmaid D

About loveeveningdress.com blog

Pablo
    Participant

I believe OU’s medical school teaches Osteopathic medicine which differs from what’s taught at Ohio State. I’m not sure of how but I understand the two schools are different. Ohio State students graduate with MDs while OU students graduate with a DO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteopathic_medicine_in_the_United_States

Pablo said:
    I believe OU’s medical school teaches Osteopathic medicine which differs from what’s taught at Ohio State. I’m not sure of how but I understand the two schools are different. Ohio State students graduate with MDs while OU students graduate with a DO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteopathic_medicine_in_the_United_States

Once you hit residency, fellowship and actual practice, it is a distinction w/o a difference.

A.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE