Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

OUAB - Tucker Max - What were they thinking?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat OUAB – Tucker Max – What were they thinking?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 691 total)
  • Author

Oak
    Participant

So – I just read every response on this thread and have formulated a couple of opinions and perspectives:

1) OUAB – don’t for one second believe that this organization is worth anything. It’s a gigantic black hole money pit for university and subsequently, student money. I’m an OSU alumn and hated OUAB when I was there. Back then (late 90’s/early 00’s) OUAB was made up of grungy indie kids who found an organization they could control and have access to tons of money. They also found out that the “faculty advisor” couldn’t have cared less what they spent that money on. So they used university money to book their friends screaming ass-rock, douche bag, garage bands and overpay them greatly. They didn’t care what the majority of OSU students might have enjoyed. So based on Tucker Max, it seems that OUAB hasn’t changed. OUAB reports to Tracy Stuck at OSU – so you can write her hate mail.

2) While I don’t like what Tucker Max has to say – I give him props for making shit up that stupid frat boys (ps – i was a frat boy, just not stupid) will buy. I applaud his capitalism. Hell, I wish I could make up crap that people would pay me to listen to. Then I too could get booked on Oprah and by OUAB and make money. Then i’d sheepishly say i’m sorry for lying before going home and rolling around in all the money I made. While my fratenity career was far less exciting, I bet if I took all the adventures that my friends had, claimed them as my own, then went on tour, I’d have some material too.

3) Seeing that the end of point 2 sounds damn good – please look forward to The Mighty Oak Drunken Frat Boy tour – being booked by an undersupervised and under-advised college activities board near you.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

president Gee has that poster from animal house in his office. :)

AmyArt21
    Participant

The problem with the Sex & the City analogy is that Samantha is a fictional character. So are all the dudes from Entourage.

Tucker Max is a real person claiming his stories are non-fiction. Whether or not these claims are valid is a whole different story all together.

Hmm…I wonder if this dude has multiple entries on the “Don’t Date Him, Girl” site!

jadedhack

never heard of this guy, but maybe people are overreacting a bit. if you dont like him, dont go, dont listen, change the channel, whatever. i understand if you dont like his material, but who cares. i dont like a lot of things, know what i do – dont go there, dont listen, dont pay attention. the protests encourage this douche bag.

and to say that guys are the only ones that are pigs is BS, complete BS. the chicks that just want play do the same things that guys do that just want play. dont associate with them, ignore them. they need to realize they arent as cool as they view themselves.

and for the holier than thou crowd, get off your soap box and shut the F up.

that is all. i dont know this guy from Adam, and couldnt tell you anything he says, but i do know that i hate people who feel as though they are right, he is wrong. period. that isnt how life is. wake up!

and as for glorifying binge drinking…have you BEEN to OSU?? seriously, get yer head outta yer ass.

surber17
    Participant

AmyArt21 wrote >>
    The problem with the Sex & the City analogy is that Samantha is a fictional character. So are all the dudes from Entourage.
    Tucker Max is a real person claiming his stories are non-fiction. Whether or not these claims are valid is a whole different story all together.
    Hmm…I wonder if this dude has multiple entries on the “Don’t Date Him, Girl” site!

I’d actually put Tucker in the “fictional” character section too. Its like pro wrestling; they never say its fake but everyone knows.

JackWells
    Blocked

ugh, Tucker Max just SUCKS….If some of his stories were at least partially true, then maybe I could categorize him as “bearable”. But unfortunately that is not the case- what ticks me off so much is that he vehemently denies that any of his stories are made up or embellished. Apparently there is an “I Hope they Serve Beer in Hell” movie coming out- the script looks absolutely awful:

http://gawker.com/5033233/tucker-maxs-movie-script

Tucker posted a link to a vid of the protestors on his twitter page:
    http://bit.ly/Hvezv

shmack

his name reminds me of tuck’s medicated pads… just saying, dude must have had a pretty tough childhood to be so emphatically douchey.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

shmack wrote >>
    his name reminds me of tuck’s medicated pads… just saying, dude must have had a pretty tough childhood to be so emphatically douchey.

+1

‘rhoid pads and douche in a single two sentence non-medical post. You must have had to blow the smoke off your finger after you hit “enter” and fired that post. Bravo!

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

The protest of this event was so incredibly stupid. They conflated the drunken hookup culture that is embraced by much of OSU’s student body with evil rapists. They gave publicity to an event that many people didn’t even know was going on. I guarantee Tucker Max sold more books as a result of the protest. They disrupted what was an otherwise peaceful, if raunchy event by being as loud and obnoxious as possible. They singled out individuals entering the event for verbal abuse. They blocked the exits of the event, in some cases violently pushing people around as they tried to leave. They blocked traffic on High Street afterwards.

In short, the protesters engaged in verbal and physical abuse of fellow students to protest rape. Good job, morons.

Cookie

Going by the examples of his “work” presented in this thread, he coerces women into sexual situations that they aren’t comfortable with and then blames them for letting him do it.

The protesters kind of have a point there.

joev
    Participant

A rational protester is pretty rare, though. I mean, the guy with the whistle who interrupted the event? I’m supposed to think he’s standing up against injustice?

drew
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>
    Going by the examples of his “work” presented in this thread, he coerces women into sexual situations that they aren’t comfortable with and then blames them for letting him do it.

Or, put another way – he provides women with options that they partake of while under complete control of their own free will. They are at no point stopped from leaving, and are mostly uncomfortable with the fact that the guy writes about their intimate time with him (which, yeah, is a total dick move… but I don’t think anyone’s really saying the guy isn’t a dick).

yes, StowCbusCleveland.

the women protesters are the ones with the behavioral issues.

not the guy who tells his buddy to hide in the closet and secretly film the night he convinces a girl to let him screw her in the ass?

the dude is a douche, and that’s his right, but the ladies have a right to scream whatever they want at him when he’s trying to make an undisclosed amount of money from their tuition dollars.

controversial speakers are good at a university, but the event was poorly billed–and payed for by everyone. and as other journo-nerds have said, the bigger issue is the way OSU protects their “trade secrets.”

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

my medium is dying wrote >>
    yes, StowCbusCleveland.
    the women protesters are the ones with the behavioral issues.
    not the guy who tells his buddy to hide in the closet and secretly film the night he convinces a girl to let him screw her in the ass?
    the dude is a douche, and that’s his right, but the ladies have a right to scream whatever they want at him when he’s trying to make an undisclosed amount of money from their tuition dollars.
    controversial speakers are good at a university, but the event was poorly billed–and payed for by everyone. and as other journo-nerds have said, the bigger issue is the way OSU protects their “trade secrets.”

Forgive me for going to the cliche machine, but two wrongs don’t make a right. Tucker Max being a complete jackass isn’t a legit excuse to be a jackass yourself. And if you’re going to be a jackass yourself, do it to Tucker Max, not to Joe Sophomore who is just going to an event hoping to be entertained. If this guy billed himself as a comedian and changed his delivery slightly, then he’d just be another raunchy stand-up act (which, ultimately, is what he really is).

I completely agree that this Max guy isn’t one of the good ones, but how does telling a 19-year old that he supports rape as he walks in the door advance the cause? How does standing up in the middle of an event and blowing a whistle help anybody at all?

Hael

joev wrote >>
    A rational protester is pretty rare, though. I mean, the guy with the whistle who interrupted the event? I’m supposed to think he’s standing up against injustice?

The dude with the whistle is simply there to get laid.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 691 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: