Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

OTE Berkeley between Bryden and Main?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A OTE Berkeley between Bryden and Main?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

shenanigans

I have read most of the threads on here about OTE and I was hoping to get some feedback on this particular area. I found an amazing deal and I’m leaning toward purchasing. I just want to know what to expect crime wise. I don’t care about how many businesses are in walking distance, what bike paths are around or what parks are close…I drive everywhere. What I need to know if I need a big dog and a gun to feel safe. Being that this is East of Miller/Kelton I’m a tad leery but, that’s why I’m asking…I need an honest opinion.

Antonio

Punch in the address and scan back a year, this will open up your eyes.

http://spotcrime.com/oh/columbus

shenanigans wrote >>
    I have read most of the threads on here about OTE and I was hoping to get some feedback on this particular area. I found an amazing deal and I’m leaning toward purchasing. I just want to know what to expect crime wise. I don’t care about how many businesses are in walking distance, what bike paths are around or what parks are close…I drive everywhere. What I need to know if I need a big dog and a gun to feel safe. Being that this is East of Miller/Kelton I’m a tad leery but, that’s why I’m asking…I need an honest opinion.

shenanigans

I checked it out on crimereports.com and it looks pretty decent. Does anyone actually live in the area that can give their two cents?

Dear Shenanigans,

Olde Towne is up and coming fast no doubt. I looked at a house on Rich and Berkeley about 5 years ago on the corner. There are some great houses between Byrden and Main and in this block. If the house is priced right I would say go for it. Rich street is also transitioning. The crime in Olde Towne is much reduced from just 3 years ago and every year it has declined – actually there is more crime other places in urban Columbus but that is another story. I lived in XXXX it is actually much safer and quieter over here in Olde Towne than you would believe, but you need to be smart and strategic -every street is different, but all streets are getting safer and better fast.

Bryden to Main is not Bryden Road to Oak or Broad – which is transitioning to desirable very, very fast. Actually the 2010 census will be convincing and compelling in terms of the changing demographics, but that is another story (needless to say Olde Towne is quickly turning the corner and this is the amazing short-term opportunity now in urban Columbus for urban dwellers and homeowners).

My suggestion is to be very aggressive on the price and be sure the house is well lit on all 4 corners. You are very close to Bexley and Franklin Park and this is good area long term – but it won’t be next year that you can double your money – in 3 years maybe! The quality of the housing stock and VALUE for your $$$ in this area is fantastic.

What is happening is that the criminal element is systematically being pushed further and further south from Bryden to Main and from Main to Livingston and further south and East. The foot traffic is drying up and or being pushed out – also this is not technically Olde Towne, but is benefiting from all the positive changes in this part of town. Olde Towne is drying up and the aggressive block watches are really having a positive and DRAMATIC impact for the better.

You are on the border and this is Franklin Park country (all very good). They may be redoing the Oak Street trolley barns a few blocks away in the next few years as condos…

Just drive around and count the houses being painted, fixed up or renovated in Olde Towne and KLD and Franklin Park – pretty inspiring and transformational in these tough economic times… If this positive change is happening now can you only imagine when the economy turns. The good news is our quality of life continues to improve every year and the neighborhood is becoming more and more desirable to everyone! How attractive will it be to young professionals and all walks or life when gasoline is $5 per gallon?

Remember rule of real estate number 1 (location. location, location) you can’t have a $1,000,000 house on Parkview and a $350K condo on Rich Street without out everything going up in between. Also 5000 new jobs at Nationwide Childrens is like Ford Motor Company moving to town – the impact this will have on Olde Towne East will be simply unbelievable…

Anything between Main and Bryden and Franklin Park is improving – all the schools catering to poor folks have been closed – so this is a plus and not a fad but a fundamental trend – Good Luck whatever you decide to do. Peace and be Safe!

Mercurius
    Participant

I lived near the corner of Bryden and Fairwood for three years and had a few problems – but that was a few years ago. I’m shooting you a PM a bit later.

Cardiff

KingLincolnUrbanEnthusiast wrote >>
    Anything between Main and Bryden and Franklin Park is improving – all the schools catering to poor folks have been closed – so this is a plus and not a fad but a fundamental trend –

Huh?

rustbelt
    Participant

You are very close to Bexley and Franklin Park and this is good area long term – but it won’t be next year that you can double your money – in 3 years maybe!

Double huh?

Cardiff and rustbelt – not sure what you folks know or don’t know, for anyone that knows the Real Estate Market – many prices have fallen significantly from the inflated levels of 5 years ago and it is much easier for these prices to recover – most homes are not over $150K some are much lower and the closer to the Park, the more expensive it is getting.

These house transactions do not require “jumbo” loans, so they are not impacted by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac – suggest you do some research and evaluate the facts. They spent $70 million on Franklin Park improvements on Phase 1 in the last 3 years. 10 years ago this pocket on Berkeley was terrible. The last few years most of the garbage has moved out and lots of vacant houses now – this is not good, but presents an opportunity for people with Vision!

There is foot traffic but the gangbanger houses that were plentiful years ago… These are now empty and public and subsidized housing is going the way of the Tyranisaurus Rex.

The CPS catering to the children of the parents are consolidating (out of the area now) nnd these areas have housing stock, a downtown location and are undervalued…

This a big deal and my 2 cents

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

shenanigans –

I have no idea what “KingLincolnUrbanEnthusiast” is autistically yammering on (and on and on) about, but I’ll try to give you a more reasonable reply about my thoughts on the area.

I bought a home on near the SW corner of FP about 2.5 years ago and have had zero issues what so ever with crime of any kind. The most interesting thing that happened was I had a stollen Grand Cherokee dropped off on the concrete driveway behind my garage on morning – I don’t know if I could call that crime or not. And and twice I’ve seen a hooker stumbling down the alley! Oh la la! And plenty of trash pickers (although less than when I lived on Park Street in VV/Short North.)

Having been in the neighborhood though I’ve never heard of this Berkeley street you’re talking about, so I drove it the other day. Lots of beautiful houses just like all over the neighborhood. As long as you’re North of Main I don’t see any problem with this area what so ever. I’d encourage you to visit the potential property at different times of day to gauge your comfort level or whatever, but I don’t see any reason why, based on the information you’ve provided, that this could be a bad investment. Heck, I’ve already seen $50k+ in equity on my house in the less than three years of ownership (I refi’ed last year to dump PMI.)

Good luck to you, PM if you have any specific questions.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Mercurius wrote >>
    I lived near the corner of Bryden and Fairwood for three years and had a few problems – but that was a few years ago. I’m shooting you a PM a bit later.

Don’t shoot him, Mercurious! We need more neighbors like him!

Thank you Snarf…I agree completely! Although… I am not as eloquent or articulate as your are…and believe this area IS all upside…peace!

BCNation
    Participant

I don’t think anyone lives on Berkeley between Bryden and Main. 50% boarded-up and abandoned homes on that block. Stoddart and Morrison- though (on that same stretch), have their lion’s den of problems.

The problems on Stoddart were brought up last fall at a Franklin Park Area Association meeting.

——-

To answer shenanigans’s question, as long as you stay the Sam Hill away from Main Street 24/7, it’s peace and quiet. The homes on Franklin, Oak, FPS, and Bryden (between Fairwood and Rhoads) look like a little old suburbia.

However, last year around this time, there was some bearded dude panhandling on the corner of Bryden & Kelton 24/7.

ScottUlrich
    Participant

I live on Franklin Avenue between Morrison & Fairwood. I’ve never felt uncomfortable or unsafe except once when I got off the bus at night on Main – just uncomfortable, not sure whether it was justified. Once I got north into the neighborhood I felt fine.

Like others have said, anywhere north of Main is fine. The further north the better.

BCNation
    Participant

^^ South of Main is straight-up ghetto, despite being dry between 22nd and Wilson.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    shenanigans –
    I have no idea what “KingLincolnUrbanEnthusiast” is autistically yammering on (and on and on) about, but I’ll try to give you a more reasonable reply about my thoughts on the area.
    I bought a home on near the SW corner of FP about 2.5 years ago and have had zero issues what so ever with crime of any kind.[/b] The most interesting thing that happened was I had a stollen Grand Cherokee dropped off on the concrete driveway behind my garage on morning – I don’t know if I could call that crime or not. And and twice I’ve seen a hooker stumbling down the alley! Oh la la! And plenty of trash pickers (although less than when I lived on Park Street in VV/Short North.)
    Having been in the neighborhood though I’ve never heard of this Berkeley street you’re talking about, so I drove it the other day. Lots of beautiful houses just like all over the neighborhood. As long as you’re North of Main I don’t see any problem with this area what so ever. I’d encourage you to visit the potential property at different times of day to gauge your comfort level or whatever, but I don’t see any reason why, based on the information you’ve provided, that this could be a bad investment. Heck, I’ve already seen $50k+ in equity on my house in the less than three years of ownership (I refi’ed last year to dump PMI.)
    Good luck to you, PM if you have any specific questions.

Update, nevermind…

As part of a ongoing police investigation of repeat burglaries, undercover agents arrested three men robbing my home this morning around 11am. All of these thug animals had some nasty felony priors. Hopefully these pieces of shit will see some good time with their fresh felony burglary charges locked up in a cage where they belong. Shame that one of these drains on society is 2 months from 18.

My family is safe and secure and nothing is lost.

Moral of the story? Stronger security measures immediately, but I can’t/won’t let it affect me emotionally or else the criminal wins.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION